Confused with Barney's Dialogue

605Scorpion

Reaction score
One of Barney's lines makes no sense to me.

"Now it looks like we're going to have to cut a path through every chickenshit metrocop who's having second thought about defending City 17."

What does he mean "cut a path through"? If they're contemplating abandoning their posts/duties/etc, why would you need to fight them? I don't get it. Did I misunderstand the dialogue? Surely I did; I cannot believe Valve would allow something this big to slip by them.

605Scorpion said:
One of Barney's lines makes no sense to me.

"Now it looks like we're going to have to cut a path through every chickenshit metrocop who's having second thought about defending City 17."

What does he mean "cut a path through"? If they're contemplating abandoning their posts/duties/etc, why would you need to fight them? I don't get it. Did I misunderstand the dialogue? Surely I did; I cannot believe Valve would allow something this big to slip by them.

"second thought about defending" refers to the fact that the combine are essentially defeated and are out of communication with their overlords, therefore, metrocops would technically have no duty to their masters. Some may have second thoughts about the whole "you lost" thing though, and may still try to fight the rebels.

Its like saying "We've got them finished, but some aren't accepting it yet"

I think he means that the cops will be going for the train station too.

ríomhaire said:
This makes sense. Would also jive with Barney standing over a dead CP later at the train station/plaza.

ríomhaire said:

Yes, my alternate thoughts were of this, it agrees with the "chickenshit" bit, but you never see any metrocops till the end.. that kinda sucks- I wanted metrocop vengance.

I was actually surprised that Barney is the only metrocop who considered fighting with the rebels once the fighting broke out, let alone the only double-agent within their forces.

Revenge said:
I was actually surprised that Barney is the only metrocop who considered fighting with the rebels once the fighting broke out, let alone the only double-agent within their forces.
Barney doesn't seem to consider himself a metrocop though :\

Besides, how do you know hes the only one? Do you really think any others would be running round shouting "Hey, I'm really fighting for the rebels lol!!!"?

Revenge said:

Do you honestly think the resistance would put up with metrocops just because the tide has turned? They betrayed them. They turned their back on humanity - nobody is going to care for them.

Barney means that the standard human metrocops are going to be having second thoughts about defending City 17 now the tide has turned, and with the Citadel in meltdown they are going to be wanting to get out.

Samon said:
Do you honestly think the resistance would put up with metrocops just because the tide has turned? They betrayed them. They turned their back on humanity - nobody is going to care for them.

Those aren't taughts you think, when you are escaping for your life. They are on the same boat as you and I would imagine, that many of them wouldn't want to fight against the rebels after what happened, whatever their original motivations were. The accusations and fighting can go on, when you are no longer in danger of being vaporized by the Citadel's explosion.
That being said, I imagine that the metrocops who deserted their positions would discard their uniforms as soon as possible and pretend to be ordinary refugees.

Perhaps Barney wasn't the only double-agent, but the city is big and there could have been dozens of them, without any chance of running into Dr. Freeman at any point of the events.

After 20 years of oppression, I don't think anyone is going to be siding the Metrocops. Most people have already escaped the City during the Street war, along with the metrocops.

When Ep1 was advertised first a few months ago didnt they say former metrocops were going to be fighting alongside you? They must of cut out that part or else they're talking about barney...

Lawnmower233 said:
When Ep1 was advertised first a few months ago didnt they say former metrocops were going to be fighting alongside you? They must of cut out that part or else they're talking about barney...

I'm not sure about that, but was it an advertisement for Episode 1 or Aftermath? If it's the latter, then it's still possible metrocops will be fighting along side us in Episode 2 and/or Episode 3.

Lawnmower233 said:

No, they didn't.

A True Canadian said:
I'm not sure about that, but was it an advertisement for Episode 1 or Aftermath? If it's the latter, then it's still possible metrocops will be fighting along side us in Episode 2 and/or Episode 3.

Metrocops were stationed in City 17 to keep everyone okay, notice IN CITY 17!

and since city 17 goes Cherynoble! looks like all the metrocops will be killed, looks like were fighting Combine Soliders and Elites. and maybe new ranks

Who's to say the metrocops didn't bail on the trains? The only place we saw CPs in Episode 1 was at...the train station. :O

You know, I was always just a tad confused by Barney's line. I always took it to mean that they'd have to fight through every CP that kept fighting, even if they knew they had lost. However, I do like the thought of them also trying to get to the trains and such, since it does make a good deal of sense.

Most of Civil Protection was long gone from City 17 within one week of the Street War. Either they were trapped, dead, or forced to withdraw and let the Overwatch soldiers take charge.

Well my point is, why weren't there more undercover rebels within CP? Ok, admittedly, there's always the possibility that more exist and either Gordon never saw them and/or every single one that Gordon did see (except Barney) switched in the rebel uniform, but I for one would find it cool to see more helmet-less CPs fighting alongside you.

And valve prob didn't want you wasting ammo blazing away at invincible rebel/,etrocops that had their backs to you...

I doubt we'll ever see them again. But it would be coul if we could see the occasional CP evacuee wandering aimlessly, weaponless, cut off from others along the outskirts of the city.

Ludah said:
I doubt we'll ever see them again. But it would be coul if we could see the occasional CP evacuee wandering aimlessly, weaponless, cut off from others along the outskirts of the city.

This I agree with, maybe not even in combat, maybe like in an on rails scene, eg on a train or in the passenger seat of a car of something.

Driving past them as they wander around, sometimes a couple of them, sometimes all alone.

Just to show the effect that it had on the traitors to humanity.

I wouldn't be so quick to hate on the CPs... In the opening sequences of HL2, if you +use one of the NPCs waiting in line at the food-dispenser, he'll sometimes tell you that he's considering joining CP just so he can get a decent meal.

A lot of CPs would of been misled into thinking the combine were the good guys and that things would be so much easier if all these damn citizens stopped making life difficult.

That is true. It's more than plausible that there were a good number of reluctant members of the Civil Protection that were simply trying to make their own ends meet. Not that such self-survival would garner much sympathy from the people they harass, beat, and kill.

If any remnants of the CP tried to join the Resistance, I don't know what the reaction would be. Acceptance? Refusal? Straight-out shot?

Ludah said:
That is true. It's more than plausible that there were a good number of reluctant members of the Civil Protection that were simply trying to make their own ends meet. Not that such self-survival would garner much sympathy from the people they harass, beat, and kill.

If any remnants of the CP tried to join the Resistance, I don't know what the reaction would be. Acceptance? Refusal? Straight-out shot?
20 years pf beating, taunting and humiliation= "Forgive and forget" -policy goes out the window.

I also notice some rebels with CP vests on, though its more likely they took it off a dead CP

I wasn't imagining it.

7.jpg

But apparently its just some random speculation from PCGamer or something in their Aftermath special a while ago.

Lawnmower233 said:
I wasn't imagining it.

7.jpg

But apparently its just some random speculation from PCGamer or something in their Aftermath special a while ago.
Exactly. PC Gamer said a lot of things back then that were wild and baseless guesses. Like mistaking an energy-bridge for the G-Mod style Gravity Gun.

Yeah I laughed at that one it was so embarassingly wrong. Hehe.

The also said valve was going to give Alyx Tomb-Raider-esque dives and tumbles and rolls to dodge antlion guards. I'm not sure did they? How can I check her model in out in Half-life Model Viewer? Do I have to have a custom .fgd to run SDK in Ep1 mode?

They mistook the energy brifge for Gmods gravity gun???? what the hell, they really need to update their content writers, was it also them who told us in their special that we might play as Alyx seriously though they need to check info before writing it down and releasing it.

And I do like the idea that civil protection have to catch the trains to escape the city too. It just makes it seem a bit more realistic.

PCGamer are a bunch of complete idiots. They have no clue at all what they are on about. "lol maybe in ep2 we'll find out what the combine really want with us. lol."

We already know. :|

Samon said:
PCGamer are a bunch of complete idiots.

you are so wise Samon lol and I conpletely agree, they are so biased when you play on any console they take it as blasphemy, they have serious issues.

Oh wise Samon tell us more of PCgamers failings and their idiotic writers lol.

Samon said:
PCGamer are a bunch of complete idiots. They have no clue at all what they are on about. "lol maybe in ep2 we'll find out what the combine really want with us. lol."

We already know. :|
I will not stand by and watch you bash that wonderful magazine! They set the standard for all PC review and gaming information, other magazines should do well to follow their example, they are- What?
Oh, the *UK* PCGamer... oh yeah, they're morons...

Maybe it's all misinfomation PCGamer are instructed to spread? :p

AJ Rimmer said:
I will not stand by and watch you bash that wonderful magazine! They set the standard for all PC review and gaming information, other magazines should do well to follow their example, they are- What?
Oh, the *UK* PCGamer... oh yeah, they're morons...

PCGamer UK and US suck. :p

Back