Connecting to Steam : Ports blocked by Uni

B

bazbarlow

Hi,

Im pretty sure its possible but Im not sure how I'd go about doing it. Basically, Im at Uni in the UK and instead of working I want to play online games on Steam :D

The problem is, the Uni has the ports required for steam to work, blocked, and refuses to unblock them, I have asked a few times and they insist opening them would be a security risk.

So, is it possible to connect onto steam through use of a proxy of some sort so I can play online?

I have no experience of proxies whatsoever as I have never used one. I read somewhere today it was possible to use 'Socks-Cap' but I can only find a 32-bit version and I am on XP64.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Basically I would like something which will:

Get me on to steam through some ports that the Uni must have open
Be compatible on X64
Hopefully not be too laggy

With the lag one, beggers cant be choosers so just being able to get on steam would be great.

Thanks. Baz

ahem

Actually yes it is, at least to get online and unlock/update Steam games. Playing online isn't possible though. You need Sockscap and HTTP-Tunnel (paid subscription). In the meantime, play WoW because it works online with HTTP-Tunnel.

Who needs degrees, anyway?

Back