Contesting my charge for hl2 through steam.

J

joey420

Yes thats right folks, let's at least give them hell like they hath delivered on us.

My install story (short version)

1. Decided to buy the game on the 17th.

2. Downloaded and paid 54 dollars for the game.

3. Woke up and tried to play hl2 which said it was done dling. It kept hanging on the loading screen.

4. Found out after 3+ hours of forum surfing that I needed to keep steam open because there is a bug that says the game is done dling, when it really isnt'.

5. Finally got hl2 running after it fully dled (decent game, but I paid to get CSS)

6. Tried to play some CSS which says in properties that it is 100 percent done.

7. Couldn't retrieve server list in the game even though I could get it in Steam. Tried to connect to some of the server that I got in the list from steam but it would fail after 4 tries.

8. 3 more hours of forum browsing later I found out it was probably my firewall. I disabled norton all the way, and the firewall in sp2, and it STILL won't work.

9. Tried to go to post a thread about fixing the problem on the official Valve forums, but for almost 24 hours the steam forum's server has been down. (Not very business like for a company that has made over 100 million dollars gross in the last couple days.)

10. Called support # for hl2 and was told that since I bought the game through steam I get no tech support. (something which wasn't explained to me when I purchased through steam.) I would have just gone to the frigging store.

11. Tried to find a support # for valve, realized they only have online help thingy. (Once again not business like for a company that is making this much money off it's "clients")

12. Realized that somewhere along the line the "steam install" (a.k.a. VIRUS) had "eaten" my IE shortcut off my desktop, AND in my IE folder in my cpu, so now I have to run my xp disc and dl all the files that are missing. It also played hell with my email, and has me running outlook express all of a sudden.

Valve is a JOKE :flame:
Steam is a JOKE :flame:

Before you start to flame me as some "newbie" that knows nothing and is just trying to bash the game realize this:

1. The actual game is fun. (although I haven't even tried CSS which is why I bought the package.)

2. I have been in many invite play clans over serveral games. I have tweaked all the .cfgs. Basically I'm very proficient in making games work right when they don't want to.

3. I have had working IE and mail for 2 years through 100+ program installs it has been fine, then I install steam and it messes it all up.

Valve Software
10500 Northeast 8th Street Suite 1000, Bellevue, WA 98004
(425) 889-9642 :flame:

I have already called their billing dept. to notify them that I will be contesting the charge through my bank, hopefully they will just give me a refund. (yeah right, and maybe hell will freeze over)

If you feel the same way I do please take a few minutes of your day to call Valve and give them a piece of your mind, I promise it will only be a fraction of the time it took you to try and work out all the bugs from the install of the Playable virus you just paid over 50 bux for!

Hmm I lost my computer icon off my desktop after I installed HL2 off off steam. How do I get it back?

wells that's your story dude, so sad.
mine...

1. Bought HL2 CE at gamestop, they charged me too much but that's my fault for not going over steam.

2. Got home, put in the DVD, installed HL2, CS:S and HL:S in under 15min.

3. Authenticated and unlocked neccessary files over Steam in once again, under 15 min.

4. Started playing HL2 and realized I need more RAM, however, CS:S runs perfectly, all servers listed and HL:S is working perfectly as well.

All that in under 2 hours :thumbs:

http://www.thebbb.org/start.html

Please file a complaint if you still can't play.

Mine:

The Better Business Bureau serving Oregon and Western Washington
Complaint System

Thank you for using the Better Business Bureau's Online Complaint System.
Your complaint has been assigned case # .
A confirmation will be emailed to :
Please print a copy of this for your records.

Filed on : November 18 2004

Filed by :
edited
edited
edited

Filed against :
Valve Software/Vivendi Universal
PO BOX 1688
Bellevue WA 98009

Complaint Description:
I purchased Half Life 2. The software does not work. I along with tons of other people I get crashes and basically a program that does not function as advertised, and all forms of contact or complaints go unheard by the company. The software will not run under given system specifications on the box, this is the only way a person can tell if the software is compatiable prior to the purchase, and any information I get from Valve states that "the EULA states all sales are final." I think in this case its a real problem when companies can sell software that does not work and do not have to refund peoples money

you use IE, you obviously havent heard of firefox ;)
Steam, Hl2, CS:S and Valve are all great. Im sure legally, you are entitled to a refund. so go ahead.

(bought half-life 2 just for css... pfft.)

Look at me! I'm playing HL2! And Steam is working like a charm! w00t! w00t! w00t!

right click on the desktop, then click properties. Go to the "desktop" tab, then click on "customize desktop". Now look for the checkboxes of the icons you're missing. If they are checked, uncheck them, click apply, then check them back on and click apply again.

I never had a problem with steam ... I know it's hard to believe! But I see that when you do have problems, you're in for a one way ticket to tweakhell.

oldagerocker said:
you use IE, you obviously havent heard of firefox ;)
Steam, Hl2, CS:S and Valve are all great. Im sure legally, you are entitled to a refund. so go ahead.

(bought half-life 2 just for css... pfft.)

Of course i've heard of FF.

So because I choose to stay with the browser I learned on it's MY problem that steam ****ed with it, or I'm a newbie cause I use IE still?

sigh.

look at this exerpt from the eula of hl2

8. Limitation of Liability. NEITHER VALVE, SIERRA, VIVENDI UNIVERSAL GAMES, INC., ITS PARENT, SUBSIDIARIES OR AFFILIATES SHALL BE LIABLE IN ANY WAY FOR LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND RESULTING FROM THE USE OF THE PROGRAM INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LOSS OF GOODWILL, WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. ANY WARRANTY AGAINST INFRINGEMENT THAT MAY BE PROVIDED IN SECTION 2-312(3) OF THE UNIFORM COMMERCIAL CODE AND/OR IN ANY OTHER COMPARABLE STATE STATUTE IS EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMED. I UNDERSTAND AND ACKNOWLEDGE THAT VALVE OR SIERRA ENTERTAINMENT, INC. CANNOT AND WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY SOFTWARE OR HARDWARE FAILURES OR ANY OTHER EVENT WHICH MAY RESULT IN A LOSS OF DATA OR DISRUPTION OF SERVICE.

joey420 said:
http://www.thebbb.org/start.html

Please file a complaint if you still can't play.

Mine:

The Better Business Bureau serving Oregon and Western Washington
Complaint System

Thank you for using the Better Business Bureau's Online Complaint System.
Your complaint has been assigned case # .
A confirmation will be emailed to :
Please print a copy of this for your records.

Filed on : November 18 2004

Filed by :
edited
edited
edited

Filed against :
Valve Software/Vivendi Universal
PO BOX 1688
Bellevue WA 98009

Complaint Description:
I purchased Half Life 2. The software does not work. I along with tons of other people I get crashes and basically a program that does not function as advertised, and all forms of contact or complaints go unheard by the company. The software will not run under given system specifications on the box, this is the only way a person can tell if the software is compatiable prior to the purchase, and any information I get from Valve states that "the EULA states all sales are final." I think in this case its a real problem when companies can sell software that does not work and do not have to refund peoples money

you really think that bbb has any power... all bbb does is provide a way to let problems be known to the consumer...

besides the game just came out give them time to actually fix the problems
its not like they are not trying to... but you people who keep hounding them about your problems is not going to solve anything

EULA says all sales are final.

By clicking the 'I agree' button, you agreed to all parts of the EULA whether regardless of whether or not actually read the EULA.

Now you want your money back? Please.

joey420 said:
Of course i've heard of FF.

So because I choose to stay with the browser I learned on it's MY problem that steam ****ed with it, or I'm a newbie cause I use IE still?

sigh.

Steam has nothing to do with IE

if your IE is screwed up its because of something else.

Everyone knows ie is a flawed program with alot of security holes...
for all you know your ie got ****ed up because of one of those holes

shut the hell up about firefox already. its just a browser. full stop. wow IE sucks because it is also a browser! but it is M$.

Back