Continual Crashing/Lockups

Rubeus

Reaction score
This is happening a lot and I'm not sure why. It's like, sometimes when there's a loud explosion or the graphics get intense for a second, the program will lock up and crash to desktop. Any ideas?

Post your system specs and graphic settings, I'll see if I can help.

Oh and have you added any commands to your config.cfg? and do you get an error message when it crashes?

No error, it just crashes. Sometimes the sound makes this horrible squealing and the monitor dies until I reboot. Sometimes it just crashes to desktop. Often I can get a good amount of play in before this happens..

P4 2.4 Ghz
9800 Pro
512 ram
onboard sound, P4P800 Asus mobo

try disabling your onboard sound and see if thats the problem. disbale it through the BIOS and if thats what is causing it then make sure that your drivers are up to date. i go through quite a few forums and a lot of people are having problems with the 4.9 cat's for ATI cards. i used to have a 9800pro and the 4.9's gave me so much crap. try the 4.8's they were the best IMO.

I had a major problem with lock ups, as the game would lock up within 5 minutes garunteed. However, I found a way around it, lowering my resolution to 800x600. I dunno why that fixes it, because my system is more than capable of handling the game at 1280x1024. I hope this big doesn't affect hl2, or preferably they fix it before release.

My specs:
Athlon64 3200
FX 5950 Ultra
1 GB Ram
Audigy 2Z

I also have the Freeze problem, within 10minutes, and it is worse in higher resolutions

I tested everything, changing motherboard bios, installing SP1 again, tried ATI 3.7 4.2 4.7 4.10 drivers and Omega 4.7 and 4.10 drivers, and it just keeps hanging

I'm with my hands in my hair, nothing helps

Does any of you have fixed the problem allready?

My configuration: Shuttle ST61G4, SB300 ATI chipset, 512Dual DDR 400MHz ram, 3Ghz P4 northwood, 160GB UATA Samsung, and ATI 9800XXL or MSI RX9800PRO (same card) and TFT display on DVI, windows XP SP2 and Half-life 2 silver :)

Regards

MAarten

Back