Copyright and Intellectual Property.

Then that makes you even more sad matey.. A 29 yr old on a HL2 forum arguing about copyright laws.

evansmp said:
Then that makes you even more sad matey.. A 29 yr old on a HL2 forum arguing about copyright laws.
Oh noes! I must be sad too then! eek! so must all the other 25+ users in the community.

Jesus, your just really bad at this aren't you. Stop crying and go make something original.

Hmm, no. You're arguing about copyright laws. I stated the facts.

I'm curious - what do you think a 29 year old should be doing exactly? Some light gardening perhaps? Maybe a short walk to feed the ducks? How about sitting in the potting shed with my pipe listening to Radio 4?
Perspective. Get some. I've been in this industry since before you even knew there was one. Or maybe you think that all developers are in their late teens?

Its real funny when mods act like bad asses, with no way to prove what they say.

Sorry? Do I need to prove something?

Just half the crap you said above. But anyways..

I had fun annoying you guys, time to move on, places to go, women to shag.

You're the one arguing from a position of weakness here.

Anyway, good luck with those women - if you shag anything like you argue, you'll be done really quickly.

Metaphor is lost on the ill-educated.

evansmp said:
Always got to have the last post eh?
Didn't you say you were going? Or is the temptation to troll some more too great for you to resist?

Your mod team must be so proud of you...

Good job

Great job guys. I hate it when people dis the posters because they deliberately misunderstand the point of the topic. Dude, it was just to inform the uninformed, brotha :afro:

If you wanna go ahead and break the law, that's your problem. Just don't be surprised when the long arm of the law b^tch slaps u back reality.

Ok a couple of things - what happened to the Counter-Strike team - di they get paid for their work and also do they still posess the intellectual property (you get paid for this too!) :cheers:

There is a line under a pic which says (in the article) "Should 3D Realms be flattered that people want to modernize Duke?"
The answer here should be YES because 3D Realms couldnt do it themselves - Duke Nukem Forever was announced several years ago yet nothing has been heard of.... :dozey:

And doesnt Sinji *if im correct about name - pro gamer anyway) use a Johnny Bravo model for Quake3 Arena... :eek:

Copyright and Intellectual Property can be a tricky area - Surely companies should be happy to see their characters used in other games because:
Free advertising
If the characters are recognised it shows great work on behalf of the company
Gives them encouragement to go for another.

Wasnt there a case recently where LucasArts shut down a mod for monkey island which was supposed to act as a prequel -> was that because of intellectual property, although it was going to be free and would draw people back to the game...

Good article though...

sabre0001 said:
Ok a couple of things - what happened to the Counter-Strike team - di they get paid for their work and also do they still posess the intellectual property (you get paid for this too!) :cheers:

There is a line under a pic which says (in the article) "Should 3D Realms be flattered that people want to modernize Duke?"
The answer here should be YES because 3D Realms couldnt do it themselves - Duke Nukem Forever was announced several years ago yet nothing has been heard of.... :dozey:

And doesnt Sinji *if im correct about name - pro gamer anyway) use a Johnny Bravo model for Quake3 Arena... :eek:

Copyright and Intellectual Property can be a tricky area - Surely companies should be happy to see their characters used in other games because:
Free advertising
If the characters are recognised it shows great work on behalf of the company
Gives them encouragement to go for another.
Ok, lets see what you think of this situation

Valve releases an expo, called Alyx's story

Two days later someone releases a mod for HL2, which uses all the maps slightly remodeled, called Alyx's tale

How about if the mod came out for Doom 3, and was called "Play as Alyx from HL2"?

Are these encouraging people to buy the expo?

I am still appaled at the fact that FilePlanet / GameSpy distributes mods on CDs and on "pay-for-use" bandwidth servers. It explicitly states in the ReadMe of any mod that it is not to be sold in any compilation or made profit of.

holy shit XDIESP, this version kicks ass. If you remember i was posting a couple weeks before and the game was crashing when i quickloaded, well it happens no more. Thank you so much for doing this for the Half Life 2 community. Playing this mod is like playing Half Life 2 for the first time again, there have been so many times with 1.0X that i have said "wow" aloud.

Thank you again.

Good thoughts,i like it but you should me more clear so that other can easily understand.

Back