Cosmic Explosion disturbed the upper atmosphere

Yea...read that at newscientist.com.

Pretty cool stuff.

Terrorists from space! they're using plan 9!

Looks like we're gonna have to attack space now and spread freedom to all the planets.

Thanks for making me panic for my life.

DEATH eVADER said:
Just found this on the NASA website. It is quite interesting

For the full story, the link is down below.

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/watchtheskies/swift_nsu_0205.html

The article will make you wonder.
gee, this is like, soo old news, 50,000 years old ffs :p

no but yeah, its a scary thought that something like that could wipe so many things had it been closer, flight plans, personal data, bank account data, medical data, games, video's, film reels, student essay's (oh great, they've another excuse for not handing work in on time now lol)

would plunge the world into the dark ages wouldn't it.

The Dark Elf said:
gee, this is like, soo old news, 50,000 years old ffs :p

no but yeah, its a scary thought that something like that could wipe so many things had it been closer, flight plans, personal data, bank account data, medical data, games, video's, film reels, student essay's (oh great, they've another excuse for not handing work in on time now lol)

would plunge the world into the dark ages wouldn't it.

I think the gamma radiation would just fry everyone.

I didn't read the article, so I'm probably shooting in the dark here... but is there a chance our own magnetic fields and bands would "deflect" this?

I don't think gamma rays are affected by magnetic fields much. And if you're referring to the magnetic field around the star, considering the weak nature of the Earth's field, the star would probably annihilate it or something if it was close enough.

Back