Could Kliener possibly be reverse-engineering something...???

Yeah, I know it was longer than a week - hence the at least. I'm pretty sure if the nuke got into contact with the structure it'd do hefty damage, but I don't think it would get near it.
I wonder what their defence would be. The only 2 things that come to mind (for the love of god not a clichéed force-field) are the supprsession device and deploying gunships to shoot it down.

Edit: Where's your avatar? D:

Yes, SHE DID STEAL IT because of that, but think, did alix knew about that nuke in episode 1? no she didnt, im thinking forward, im speculating i know, but i m not agree that your point makes mine look as wrong, damn my english is bad.

I see. You mean she stole it because of that BUT Kleiner can use that data for another purpose. Which makes shens. But that wouldn't benefit resistance would it? Sending a nuke to another universe, hoping it would stop them. Imagine they're a nuking a post office in Combine universe, hoping it would destroy them :)

I think the obvious point is, that they have to travel to the 'heart' of the combine, the only place the can hurt them...Cause attack is the best defence^^ About the message: I always imagined it was something important to the combine, maybe some report on 'the project' and if they didn't give up their controle on earth by sacrificing the c17-citadel, their whole Empire might be fückéd üp if the synth leaders didn't send reinforcements, but the only way contacting them was sending that transmission since the citadel was already damaged by Breen's failed teleportation and the explosion in the tele-reactor...Ergo, if the synths didn't get to know about what the transmission was actually reporting, they might miss something VERY important and dangerous...>>>COOL MOSSY IN DA ICE!!! ;)

I like the idea that the information packet could be used to check the coordinates of the Combine's homeworld/main force. As to what's in it, that's speculation for another thread.

Cuthbert, maybe you should send Marc another e-mail to see if nukes would affect the citadels. I say they would, judging by how an explosion of only moderate force was able to shred the entire top of the citadel off, nevermind any unknown particles or energies released in said explosion. The force alone was only moderate, maybe even minimal as explosions go. If you've ever seen a map of the area that that the Hiroshima bomb affected, and how far the force was felt, I have no doubts a nuke would absolutely level a citadel.

Secondly, the citadel is really just a glorified factory. The Combine haven't outfitted it with any external defense systems like a forcefield or guns or anything like that, if only because their tactics have always been to drop these factories down and send out swarms of synths. The thought of a citadel being attacked isn't really contemplated, and even if they were to lose a citadel they could probably care less. If the citadel had any external defense systems, we would've seen them activated when the resistance was right outside its door. Unless the citadel has hidden anti-air weaponry built into it, which I doubt, it has nothing protecting it from a nuclear weapon.

About Coord informations, I first misread it as 'chords' which reminded me of strings, cause Mossman's been talking about Tau-strings they use for their teleport in HL²...Now, maybe Mossman's research was part of that message? Certainly yes, but she didn't have the time to finish it..therefore...Anyway, if you got any questions, I can also write a mail to marc...About the nukes: They certainly could have scratched a citadel, but there really wasn't any opportunity to do so, therefore... God, I wish VALVe makes ep2 more of a wasteland area...if not wasteland, then at least heavily alieninfested...Otherwise I wouldn't buy the thing with every city being shielded off against the outside world...I mean, there's gotta be some resamblance to the olde wasteland...And Xen fauna^^

I see. You mean she stole it because of that BUT Kleiner can use that data for another purpose. Which makes shens. But that wouldn't benefit resistance would it? Sending a nuke to another universe, hoping it would stop them. Imagine they're a nuking a post office in Combine universe, hoping it would destroy them :)

LOL that thing about the postoffice was very funny

They could nuke a teleportal hub in the Combine universe, if such a thing exists. :sniper:

I doubt it's something as boring as a nuke, though. I'd guess it's a satellite which works as a transdimensional seal.

my guess is that the resistance captured gman, put him the rocket and are going to blast him to space to fix the satelite from hl1 being that hes invincible and could survive in space.

Nice one.
It's actually called Portal storms. Which happened at least a week before the Combine arrived.

Ah righty I forgot that the Combine invasion and the XEN invasion were different times. Sorry :(

Lots of speculation

Cuthbert, maybe you should send Marc another e-mail to see if nukes would affect the citadels. I say they would, judging by how an explosion of only moderate force was able to shred the entire top of the citadel off, nevermind any unknown particles or energies released in said explosion.

Moderate force? I see what could be a space rip above the citadel in episode one, maybe the explosion was not as moderate as you think, but a dimensional-ripping explosion.

and even if they were to lose a citadel they could probably care less.

I think you are wrong here... remember they have entanglement devices\portals in citadels, and without them they are cut off from other dimensions.

If the citadel had any external defense systems, we would've seen them activated when the resistance was right outside its door. Unless the citadel has hidden anti-air weaponry built into it, which I doubt, it has nothing protecting it from a nuclear weapon.

Maybe Breen didn't activate the external defense systems because A)it would have meant the entire annihilation of city 17 B)he didn't think the rebels were going to be of any danger to the citadel. Even Freeman, humanity's most powerful weapon, would have been useless if it wasn't for the powered up gravity gun (and luck).

Hey, I came to a conclusion: Firing a nuke would have been absolutely unneccesary, since there was a bunch or dozen of citadels or so...So if you're the one who's gotta push the red button, it'd been like 'If we try killing the citadels, we kill the whole planet.' Cause they were EVERYWHERE and except you're a looney like Colonel Vance, you wouldn't bother firing a single rocket. What for? Of course unless you're a looney and wouldn't bother anyway.
//edit: i thought the combine had the supression device? They certainly didn't calculate to be in need of a plan B, if the device was to be neutralized...Or was it neutralized at all? I didn't play that chapter yet...I think you only deactivate the generat0rs

Personaly I have no doubt that a nuke would effect a citadel, though it would have to be detonated properly to do so, a detonation directly above the citadel (most nukes use an airburst to maximise thir damage no normal, earth structures) may gut the upper interior with that expensivce dark matter reactor, but if the materials the citadel is composed of are string enough, it could remain standing.

A contact detonation anywhere would surely be catostrophic, utterly vaporising that section of the structure.

Ultimately, the best way to destroy the citadel would likely be a "sideways airburst", where the bomb is detonated some distance to the side of the citadel. The overpressure from the bombs explosion would, in this case, exert a massive force against the large surface area the citadel has to show. This could potentialy be devastating to the structure.

Nonethesless, what we see being worked on doesn't look very much like any nuclear delivery system I know of.

Uhm, actually I'd rather like to hear your thoughts on the Kleiner rocket/missile. We want to find out what EXPANDS the story, not what might have happened a few years AGO. Jesus, we even asked Laidlaw. There's no proof there were nukes fired, or attempted to be fired, even less is the relevance, as it doesn't have an effect on the present.
PS: MINERVA roxx ;) Can't wait for the next episode! :D

From what I understand of the half life universe, the combine has invaded and taken control of all major cities right acroos the planet. One nukes not gonna do anything against an enemy this well dug in. Youre not going to be able to aim the nuke without high grade sattelite communications anyway.

"GLA Postal Service!"

*KA-BOOM*

Kleiner would hardly be able to nuke every citadel before the Combine got at the base, and even then, he'd kill most of the remaining human population.

Kleiner would hardly be able to EMP every citadel before the Combine got at the base.
One nuke would EMP every citadel within line of site if detonated properly in the atmosphere.

Which would be enough to buy them tons of time.

The combine. They have pulse weapons. They have giant walking striders.

I doubt the citadel is actually vunerable to EMP. Combine are so far ahead of us, they probably don't rely on the same rules of technology as us. I don't think the EMP would be effective.

True. The airburst nuke does make sense...especially if they can actually hit the Citadel.

Nukes release massive amounts of heat. We've all seen the old 1950s and 1960s bomb test footage.

The heat from the explosion would be enough to melt/vaporize a large portion of the Citadel, likely causing it to collapse...especially when you think about all the organic matter inside that you see in your elevator ride through the Citadel...

But to use nukes, rebellion will have to evacuate cities without letting combine notice. That would be impossible. And using nukes on every citadel in the world, even if rebellion had enough nukes, would be a Pyrus victory. What's the point of taking back our world if it's a nuclear wasteland?

But to use nukes, rebellion will have to evacuate cities without letting combine notice. That would be impossible. And using nukes on every citadel in the world, even if rebellion had enough nukes, would be a Pyrus victory. What's the point of taking back our world if it's a nuclear wasteland?

That reminds me of how the rebels in episode 1 were trapped in the city by Combine, even though the citadel was already falling apart. If they could barely escape AFTER attacking the Citadel, what are the chances of fighting through beforehand? The Combine also wouldnt necessarily have to kill the rebels--if they are stuck in the city, the rebels would either die from radiation poisoning or become so ill they just surrender.

So we would have the Citadels being destroyed in a nuclear strike, and the Combine taking down most of humanity with them. It wouldnt even hurt the Combine that badly--Earth must be a giant stripmine for them, and you could mine an asteroid or gas giant just as easily. Hell, the lack of natives would make it alot easier!

Back