Could valve release HL2 on Steam before Boxed Edition?

mayro

Reaction score
Great! Csnation is also going along with the hlradio on that the game will be done in augest! Is their anyway valve could release the game on steam before the boxed version of hl2 comes out? It seems like the biggest problem will be VU.

No they confirmed that they will release it the day HL2 is released in stores.
They might pre-cache it but you would still have to pay.

And bloodlines cant come out till hl2 comes out, i bet they are absolutely loveing these delays... *Bloodlines dev* Atleast HL2 gives us a excuse to work more on our game. LOL, with all the extra time they have had to work on their game that was finished last year it better not need a patch a week after it comes out lol.

Oh well if Valve confirmed that it's going to be at the same time. I guess I'll have to wait till summer... What it's fall now? I've had better luck with a magic 8-ball.

I bet they can just play some Bloodlines MP all day, and fix little bugs. I hope the wait is worth it though! :D

Wouldn't it suck if Bloodlines sucked? :(

Oh simultaneous release. Same day. Not necessarily same time. So if you leave Steam on like a few weeks before so it can start precaching, it will unlock 12:01am the day of release. Others will have to wait for the mailing service and/or stores to open :D Woohoo!

they can start caching it via steam on everyones computer once it goes gold, but we wont be able to play it until the store release date

ok heres a new question about shipping will the game store i ordered it from ship it to me a few days earlier so it arrives on the release date? or will they ship it on the release date and i'll egt it a few days after?

Impulse147 said:
ok heres a new question about shipping will the game store i ordered it from ship it to me a few days earlier so it arrives on the release date? or will they ship it on the release date and i'll egt it a few days after?

Depends on the retailer.

Anyone know if it will be released simultaneously to the minute, or to the date.

ie, New Zealand (where I live) is +12GMT and that's 12 hours before England, and then I guess another 4 - 8 hours before the US.

So if it is to be released on a set date (most likely in the US) and that date will happen here first, won't I theoretically have to wait longer since I get it off steam, than someone buying it from a shop in NZ?

Impulse147 said:

i doubt it, but u never know.. :)

Cabb said:
Anyone know if it will be released simultaneously to the minute, or to the date.

ie, New Zealand (where I live) is +12GMT and that's 12 hours before England, and then I guess another 4 - 8 hours before the US.

So if it is to be released on a set date (most likely in the US) and that date will happen here first, won't I theoretically have to wait longer since I get it off steam, than someone buying it from a shop in NZ?

No because someone buying in the store will most likely have to wait longer for the game to arive, and even if they do have copies, they will have to wait to release them after the official release date. though it is possible that a store could just let people have the game...

Ok, but I see it more likely that a store, and all stores around the world, (this is a drunk post so forgive any typos plz) will receive the game before the release date, hang on to it for a day, then release at the organised release date, under some sort of lawful agreement. So it could be possible that the closer you are to the international date line, the sooner you can buy a physical copy of the game, or is this very unlikely, and valve will make the game availabe to everyone at the exact same moment?

mayro said:
And bloodlines cant come out till hl2 comes out, i bet they are absolutely loveing these delays...

I doubt they care seeing as Bloodlines isn't coming out till Spring 2005. Even some more Valve slippage and a Vivendi cock up couldn't delay it Half-life 2 till then. He says.

Yes, they've said they'll pre-load HL2 quite a while before release (perhaps a week or two in advance) to give the servers a chance, then unlock the game on release day.

Although if you pre-load it you could be playing it as soon as you get out of bed and you don't have to worry about getting to the store and finding they're sold out or something. (unless you pre-order of course).

Back