countdown to preload phase 4

RhapSidious said:
While I agree that uncompressed the files could possibly be less than 3 gigs worth of data. Why would Valve make the files bigger than necessary? They wouldn't want to waste the bandwidth.

The only thing I can even begin to reason for that is maybe the encryption has someting to do with it... but 200mb worth of extraneous encryption seems unlikely as well.

I just hope they release the Steam version quicker than the retail version... even if it's only by a couple of days.

I NEED TO PLAY AS SOON AS FREAKIN POSSIBLE!!! :bounce:

ever used bittorrent? the space is mearly held for future data...there does not have to be any data there to hold the place. the 200mb are stuff that needs to still be downloaded. You don't actually think they would preload the whole game before it goes gold, do you?
GOLD ANNOUNCEMENT = FINAL preload IMHO....

pixartist said:
they cant lock steam when ur offline

you have to authenticate online....they can lock you from play unitl the actual release date..very simple programming..like freeware with an expiry date, but in reverse.

RhapSidious said:
While I agree that uncompressed the files could possibly be less than 3 gigs worth of data. Why would Valve make the files bigger than necessary? They wouldn't want to waste the bandwidth.

The only thing I can even begin to reason for that is maybe the encryption has someting to do with it... but 200mb worth of extraneous encryption seems unlikely as well.

I just hope they release the Steam version quicker than the retail version... even if it's only by a couple of days.

I NEED TO PLAY AS SOON AS FREAKIN POSSIBLE!!! :bounce:

They didn't waste bandwith. It's a known fact that they only sent us 500 meg for the first preload.

In regards to the releaste date thing, for movies places would usualy get movies two weeks before the release date. However, the game industry isn't nearly as streamlined as the movie industry. Games might show up a week before the release date, but usually not more than 2 or 3 days. When I worked at Blockbuster we wouldn't get games until usually two days after the release date due to thier distribution method. As for people selling things prior to the release date, this is a pretty big deal for movies, but it appears no one cares too much about games.

Reaperman said:
even if the retailer sold it early, couldnt valve just not allow it to be played? since you need to play it thru steam even offline, couldnt they just lock it?

What are you talking about? Tell me you don't really need Steam to play Half-Life 2?

Seppo said:
What are you talking about? Tell me you don't really need Steam to play Half-Life 2?

from Gabe's mouth
"STEAM WILL BE INCLUDED WITH THE RETAIL VERSIONS OF HL2"

posted on this forum in "valve speaks"

cadaveca said:
from Gabe's mouth
"STEAM WILL BE INCLUDED WITH THE RETAIL VERSIONS OF HL2"

posted on this forum in "valve speaks"

Oh, ok. Now that I think of it, it's a nice way to prevent piracy. But what if someone who buys the game doesn't have an internet connection. Allthough that's pretty unlikely to happen, it's a possbility...it could happen

off topic, hey meteora, your sig looks like a ben franklin quote.

anyways, on topic, we could get the next preload, if that is finalized material.

or, we could NOT get a preload if that's stuff that valve are counting on vivendi to okay.

edit:
seppo, you don't need an internet connection to play halflife2 sp.

Back