Counter-Strike: Source Update Released

Chris D

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Counter-Strike: Source has been updated to include a singleplayer and multiplayer bot and a new map re-made by Turtle Rock Studios, de_tide. The full change log is below:
  • Counter-Strike: Source[br]
  • Added Counter-Strike bots. For a more detailed description, click
    here
  • Added new bomb defusal map de_tides
  • Updated version of de_cbble to allow bots to navigate ladders
  • Updated version of cs_office. Fixes minor issue with projector
  • Updated version of de_dust2 to allow 40 players
  • Optimization to the way that dynamic props are checked. On higher end CPUs, this can result in more than a 5% total frame rate increase
  • Fixed bug where players would get twice the normal money at the start of a round
  • Weapon models are now checked at startup to make sure they are within limits for size

• Fixed a bug that would allow a player to throw two flashbangs at once
  • Added “motdfile” cvar, which sets the filename for the message of the day on the server
  • Fixed logic that will automatically kick players for killing hostage or being idle for a long time
    [br]
UPDATE: The following screenshots were sent to me by our forum member, SixThree. Thanks Six:[br]

That's fast. I'm still updating. What about the changelog of half-life 2?

I am so going to check if the hostages are updated too :E

Edit: Of course.... After updating the game for 15 minutes ;(

FEATURES OF THE NEW COUNTER-STRIKE: SOURCE BOT

More Realistic Human Reactions

The CS Bots now have an enhanced "attention" system that takes into account gunfire, cover, distance, motion, and posture when determining whether a bot "notices" another player. For instance, previous versions of the bots would always notice an enemy if they had a clear line of sight to them and they were in their field of view, even if that enemy was crouched and hidden half behind a crate hundreds of yards away. The CS Bots notice moving players much more often than stationary players, and the chance of noticing players in their field of view drops further the more cover the enemy is behind and the farther away they are, among other factors. This brings yet another level of strategy to the bot game, making stealth and positioning much more valuable.

The CS Bot now has two states of attentiveness: normal and "alert." If the bot has been attacked or has seen an enemy recently, it becomes "alert" which increases its chances of noticing future enemy activity, further enhancing the value of stealth tactics.

If a CS Bot is attacked by an enemy it cannot see and didn’t expect, it will "panic" in a much more humanlike manner than did earlier versions. Panicking bots look around wildly for their attacker and often retreat to cover while doing so.

Improved Tactics

The CS Bots understand the flow and timing of Counter-Strike much better. Not only can they "rush" more effectively, but they also know approximately where to expect the initial encounter with the enemy team allowing them to take up defensive positions appropriately and throw grenades at the right place and time. CS Bots are much more attentive to noises made by the enemy, as well as important events such as friendly casualties. Additionally, the bots use stealth more often, such as sneaking into a bombsite to defuse the planted bomb. They are also smarter about prioritizing enemies when confronted with several possible targets at once. Also, when low on cash, they will now save their money instead of squandering it on extra ammo and grenades.

Improved Navigation

CS Bots are more adept at navigating narrow ledges and other tricky areas. In addition, they will shoot out breakable objects such as windows before they actually reach them, which can save precious seconds when rushing the enemy.

Snipers

Bots are now aware of enemy snipers, and will warn their teammates accordingly. Also, they realize that standing still in a sniper’s line of fire is a bad idea, and will often retreat behind cover while dodging when presented with an enemy sniper. The actual aiming and sniping behavior of the bots has been made more humanlike as well.

Grenades

The CS Bots are far more proficient at grenade throwing than they have been before, and throw their grenades in more tactically intelligent places. The bots attempt to retreat from incoming HE and Flashbang grenades as well. If a bot is blinded by a Flashbang grenade, it behaves in a more believably human manner, typically retreating and sometimes firing blindly while doing so.

Other Features

In addition to the normal bot_quota system, the host can set bot_quota_mode to "fill." This changes the bot_quota into a minimum number of players required for the server. As human players join, bots will leave. For instance, in fill mode if the bot_quota is 10, the server will have 5 bots on each team. When a human player joins the CT team, a bot will leave. If 10 humans have joined, all the bots will be gone, and yet more humans can still join. Only when the number of players drops below the bot_quota threshold will bots begin to re-join the game.
Players can turn off the bot’s "auto following" behavior to prevent bots from deciding to follow players on their own.
Bots no longer fall from ledges and cliffs when in combat
Bots buy equipment and weapons more quickly (for those who prefer no freeze time)

The Counter-Strike: Source Bots were developed in conjunction with Turtle Rock Studios.

Okay so I have 3 question primarily not answered in that massive text.
1. Will they have similar voices to those in CZ? (same attitudes etc)
2. What about Hostage AI? (I figure these two are combined kinda)
3. When will we see CZ:S with this cool CS BOT? (it would rule so hard imho)

"Steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request. Please try again in a few minutes."

I hope bots can learn maps like in CZ :)

"Steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request. Please try again in a few minutes."

same here, even after i updated... that sucks

Whenever I try to start a game it always closes me to desktop and says map version is 23234534(something like that), expecting 19!

The bots sound great, I laughed when I read about the "panic." Can't wait to see it in action.

I finished Dl'ing. The period with 8 seconds left took over 10 minutes

only 12 servers up. Only 1 with a ping under a thousand

dogboy73 said:
No wonder I can't update!

I got as far as 87% then Steamstopped downloading.

F**k it! i'll try again on the morrow
Mine stopped at 87% too... :hmph:

Well, I'll have to wait until tomorrow too...

mine stopped at 97% :frown: :frown: :frown: :|

Haven't played that much but I can confirm that NO cool Condition Zero voices etc are in there. Some strange behaviour sometimes (1 bot on normal usually stays behind in the buy zone practically always yells "Affirmative" even though no one has said anything...) & the Hostage AI is completely unchanged. Just as stupid ;(

The "new" map is cool though. Gave me a bit of a bad fps but it could've been related to massive Steam overabuse atm. Even though I played on my own server.

56k Warning!

Some Screenshots:

de_tides0000.jpg

de_tides0002.jpg

de_tides0004.jpg

de_tides0005.jpg

de_tides0008.jpg

de_tides0006.jpg

So how do we add bots to a dedicated server. Or is there an easier way?

tides seems like a nice map.. a bit.. "colorful" for my tastes.

The bots are giving me a problem though. With a 3200+ and a 9800 Pro, if I play on a server with 22 people I get about 150fps, but 22 bots? I'm lucky to get 1fps. This is a HUGE problem for me :(

I played on de_dust with 15 bots on hard (total of 16 players :rolleyes: ) and although my computer almost exploded it was pretty awesome to see all eight Ts actually rushing instead of being lame campers :/

woah the bots are great one team mate even shot me when i popped round a corner because he though i was a CT! lol and their `nade use is really good aswell

Tides is a gorgeous map! Fun too since it's small. Tons of hot teen action!

Yep, they do learn maps. Just had a quick blast on iceworld and it was awesome. Mainly because it was just pure carnage with 15 bots :p

4 minutes left w/ bb. sounds good!

I played on de_dust with 15 bots on hard (total of 16 players ) and although my computer almost exploded it was pretty awesome to see all eight Ts actually rushing instead of being lame campers :/

Will i be able to run dust2 will 40 bots? I have a pretty OK system, geforce 4 Ti4200, AMD 2600+ (thinks its a 2800+ :D), 512 MB ram

ranga said:
Will i be able to run dust2 will 40 bots?
Are you serious? I suppose you could, if you don't mind playing with 2 FPS.

Can someone try to run a server with bots in cs_office? Every time I try to it gives me something about snowman_body.mdl having a wrong identifier or something. GJ Valve on the quality updates. :rolleyes:

I just got done messing around with the bots on a few maps. They feel a lot more like teammates this time around. There are still some odd behaviors, but its a lot better, especially the rushing and grenade use.

I encountered a bug on tides. Sometimes the bots would be covering one of the tunnels and go to fire, and you would here the 'tink, tink, tink' of the out of ammo sound constantly. They wouldn't stop trying until I bumped into them. Go fig. Also at the beginning of the map, there is a message saying "The node path was compiled with a different verision of the map" or some such. Just a little goof, it didn't seem to affect the bots too much.

They are CPU hogs though. I have a barton 2000+, and I can play with 9 other bots (5 on 5) on De_dust alright, cs_office is tollerable but less responsive. Much more than that becomes an instant lag fest. Makes me wish I had the latest and greatest AMD 64.

Still, considering the pricetag, its great work! The stuffed turtle and hat vending carts were cute (a reference to Turtlerock's additions I think)

my only wonder now is why the terrorists are so keen on blowin up those souvenir shops....... :p

Best news I've heard this year.

Nice work VALVe. You pown the other companies!

Agreed. Taking a while for me, i have ISDN. 29min left

New screens courtesy of SixThree :)

I just tried out the bots on de_office and de_tides. I think they work really well. Sometimes they do some dumb things, and they tend to throw grenades in the same places every time, but overall, they're a good representation of actual players. And they don't call me gay or have political "discussions", so that's a plus.

Back