CPU Cooler

f0rked

Reaction score
Before going off to Uni, im looking to replace the cpu fan on my intel pentium 4 3.06ghz. Currently i'm using the stock intel fan and sometimes when i'm playing cpu heavy games it can sound really, really loud. The temperature is always fine (never above 45-50ish degrees), its just the noise that gets pretty annoying. I was thinking about getting the first CPU cooler on this page, as well as a syringe of Artic Silver. Does anyone else here have any alternate suggestions for good CPU coolers for pentium 4 chipsets before I commit to this one?

Edit: After doing a bit of searching around, reading reviews, I've decided to go with the Coolermaster Hyper48 Cooler instead, due to better performance and lower noise, unless anyone can suggest any reasons not to or advise on any alternatives.

Edit 2: I've now reversed my decision because some reviews point out that due to the Hyper48s weight it can damage your computer if you move it about a lot, something I will be doing taking it to/from uni.

Yeah if you move your PC a lot then you want something that is closer to the board and isn't tall. If it's heavy but lower profile then it can actually be OK with proper screw mounts.

Both of those look good. I really havn't had any experience with them though.

Although I've never used the G-Power, I've heard good reviews about it. I would get that.

I think teh Thermalright xp-120 is a good cooler as its light because its made of aluminium and it can be fixed directly onto teh mobo.

Well, I finally ordered the G-Power, and also a tube of Artic Silver 5, plus some Artic thermal remover to clean off the thermal pad that came with my stock P4 heatsink.

Just incase anyone is curious in the difference this will make to CPU temp, I'm posting my current cpu high/low temps, and I'll update this thread once i've got the new stuff installed (providing I dont somehow screw over my CPU during installation lol).

CPU temps with stock p4 heatsink, fan, and thermal material:
Current cpu low temp (idle):41 degrees C (i've seen it go as low as 37ish though before I started logging yesterday)
Current cpu high temp (load):61 degrees C

Update: My new cooler came today, and after installing it all I have to say is wow.

Low temp (when idle): 30c when the fans at full speed, 35 when its at lowest
High temp (under load): 42 with fan at full speed, and 47 when its at lowest.

Unfortunatly due to the effectiveness of this heatsink & fan with artic silver 5 at getting heat from my cpu, my case temp has gone up from like 24c to 34c.

Next project is gonna be getting some more case fans, but I recon it'll be fine for now anyway. I really like the quiet now compared to with my stock p4 fan.

Back