CPU fan

Asus

Reaction score
Suggestions
Link

Link
Going after something flexible. Quiet yet want the option to speed it up for OCing.

I'll be using the fan with this.

these look like really good fans (also got good reviews).

A tad bit expensive for that one, there are others though.

Yeah, zalmans are good and quiet too but they can't handle OCing like this Thermalright. They just don't have the flexibility to do silent OR OCing. Plus they are heavy...

This is also one of the best heatsinks out there, like the Zalmans.

Go for the Panaflo, they're awesome. They push a lot more air and make less noise than other fans at similar speeds.

The XP-90 is a great heatsink; you'll still probably get a good overclock with a moderate CFM fan instead. Hooking up the Panaflo to a fan controller is another option, whether you want it to be quiet or noisy whenever you want.

I don't know about the temperature sensor on the Vantec; I personally like to fine-tune the speed of my fans, since I don't like noisy rigs.

I've heard nothing but praise for panaflo, but I've never been able to get my hands on one.

Yeah, Panaflo's are good.

I guess I should think about how I want to control the fan's RPMs. Auto, dial or with a bay fan controller (perfer not).
Wouldn't mind riggin something on the expantion slots though.

im just getting some thermaltake fan that will be coming with my xp-120....i forget what its called but im getting an xp-120, arctic silver thermalpaste,and a 120 mm (thermaltake i think) fan for just 67 bucks including shipping... good deal im thinking

oh and noise isnt really a problem, since my house is loud as it is, and that i play alot of games

That thermaltake fan, could it be the SmartFan II? Those are really good too. They have high CFM at their faster speeds and have good RPM controls. Maybe I should look into one of them.

Wonder if they have it in a 92mm size...

you can get heatsinks that use 12cm fans, i was at one point going to buy one but never bothered, i will try and find it so you can have a look. You could always connect the fan through a speed controller so that you would have the choise of having it going full speed while you have it OC'ed, or turned down while you are browsing the web etc.

EDIT: My mistake, the heatsink was for an Athlon XP CPU socket type, but I'm sure you could find one for a socket 754.

Yeah, the 120XP is thermalright's 12cm fan version. I don't really feel like bending a capacitor on my board to get it to fit.

lucy me, that albatron board that you suggested along time ago to me asus fits it, so i might get that with the xp-120, just hope that nothing in my case will obstruct it

hmm is there even much of a difference bettween the xp-120 and the xp-90??

Size, shape and 92mm vs 120mm max fan size. Tis it. Oh maybe price too. :p

The XP-120 should cool with less noise (assuming you use a 120mm fan) than the XP-90.

I ended up going for a Arctic 'Freezer' 64 to cool my Winchester. Before this I had a Thermalright sp-97 for my xp-m, which was excellent, but pricy.

The Arctic 64 is cheap and very good, especially for the price (after 12 hours of prime95 blend test, with my Winchester at 2.6 gig, the cpu temp is 49c) It's actually cooler than my friends XP-90, but he has poor flow in his case.

You can position the cpu fan so it blows air through the heatsink and out through the exhaust fan - which really helps with case and cpu temps.

Recommended :) (quieter than the 92mm fan on my Thermalright too)

Asus said:
Sort of...
Should be fine as long as you don't bend them too far. But that is still a risk. ;)

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem if that was my system. I can't speak for you though.

First I was going to say forget it and go with the XP-90, but then I was looking at the installation instructions and they actully used a K8V-SE Deluxe and looks like it should fit okay. I'll try it out at least.

Back