Crappy engine or my computer?

Reaction score
Ok, I need to ask and this seems like a good place.

Does halo have a horrible engine or is it my computer. I mean it does not look that good compared to FarCry and I can nearly run FarCry at maxed out at an average of 60 fps.

I've got a 9800 Pro, 1024 Ram, 3.0 CPU

Halo has been known for running slow. I have the same set up but I don't get lag.

Halo has been known for it's issues similar to Morrowind. hehe
A system hog.

Yeah, that you mention it Morrowind runs bad too, but I don't really mind it too much because it's a slow game most of the time.

Pressure said:
Halo has been known for running slow. I have the same set up but I don't get lag.

you do, but its not a big deal to you

I ran halo on my Geforce3 Ti200 and it ran at like 30fps at 800x600 but I didn't see why it should run so slow. It didn't look very good. It was probably bad programming on the part of the developper which I think was Gearbox. And just to note, Farcry ran a lot better than halo did while looking 100 times better!

Gearbox ported the Halo engine (originally developed for pc) so they're to blame lol!

Seriously though, Halo has loads of shaders and stuff. Plus it's got vsync on by default and loads of other crap. Run Halo in safe mode with no shaders and it'll run faster for you.

Try some command line parameters: like -console -use14 -novideo -vidmode 640,480,100

That will enable the console, force shader 1.4 (That'll work better for your ti4200 DrJones), remove the intro videos, and force it into 640x480 with max fps of 100.

Make sure vsync is off in your settings too.

Yeah it's Halo's engine, even some $4000 machines can't run it at great fps'.

when playing halo you must go into your ATI control panel and turn off Anti-aliasing or make it application preference. Then make sure vsync is off and set the FPS options to 30 FPS. Try that. If it still slows down try a different screen resolution.

Halo does not use AA and if you have it enabled it will just soak up your FPS and not improve the jagged edges. Turn it off and it should run fine. It may still be slow in heavy areas such at the escape pod rush in the beginning.

Halo is one of the worst games for pc. Ever.

Razak said:
when playing halo you must go into your ATI control panel and turn off Anti-aliasing or make it application preference. Then make sure vsync is off and set the FPS options to 30 FPS. Try that. If it still slows down try a different screen resolution.

Halo does not use AA and if you have it enabled it will just soak up your FPS and not improve the jagged edges. Turn it off and it should run fine. It may still be slow in heavy areas such at the escape pod rush in the beginning.

Actually the newest Cats (4.6) allow you to force AA in games like Halo but may cause distortion.

Back