Crash Errors

Azrael.

Reaction score
Well, once again, I am having computer problems. I just formatted my disk, installed my mobo drivers, processor drivers, ethernet drivers, xp update, then catalyst 4.7; in that order. After installing the cat, everything crashed HARD. It would boot up and say "New Hardware Detected" and such, then crash again. I think xp didn't recognize the card before I installed the catalyst driver. I was able to remove it, and reinstalled it, to get the same problem. I think it's because it was overwriting files previously installed that weren't removed with the uninstall. What should I do? Reinstall windows, format, delete all contents in the 'ATI' folder...? I am starting to lose my patience with this f***ing machine... :flame: :flame: :flame:

AMD Athalon 64 3800+, 2 Sticks of 512mb Corsair Value Select, ABIT AV8 mobo(K8T800 chipset), Radeon 9600 XT, Sony DVD, CD, Floppy Drive, Thermaltake Xaser III case, SB Audigy 2, Logitech peripherals.

With video card drivers, uninstalling them doesn't fully uninstall them. To fully erase video card drivers, you either need to reformat your computer or download a driver cleaner.

As for installing drivers and patches, I recommend installing in this order

- All motherboard drivers (including anything onboard)
- Video Card drivers
- Sound card drivers
- Any other hardware drivers
- then use windows update
- Then I start to install software

I also like to restart my computer everytime I finish installing a driver for a piece of hardware just to make sure there will be no conflicts.

If this problem still happens after doing everything right, go into your control panel, select system, select the hardware tab and select device manager. If there is a yellow exclamation point next to anything, that means windows is not properly identifying it and does not have drivers properly installed.

As for windows updates, I only let it install critical updates. Even if you don't use a product like Microsoft Outlook, it can't hurt to have it patched. Plus some patches have pre-requistes, it is nice to have everything taken care of. I also refuse to use any driver updates posted on windows updates, I've had some bad experiences with them.

Hey, thanks for the help but I seemed to get everything working. It was an error with the new catalyst drivers where you can't turn hardware acceleration up in XP for some reason. I guess ATI claims they are going to patch it, but right now I'm just waiting for my X800 XT to arrive. It should fix everything I hope.

Back