Windows XP SP2
ASUS K8V se Deluxe
ati radeon 9800 xt
AMD 64 bit 2000+ @ 3200+
2x512

trying the steam "file validator"
i'll let you know what happens

CakeM1x said:
deleting sourcemodels.gcf(?) and redownloading that part fixed the error for me.
I dont know about u but i tried this as a second fix which worked by the way but now I get constant stutterin.

CakeM1x said:
deleting sourcemodels.gcf(?) and redownloading that part fixed the error for me.
I dont know about u but i tried this as a second fix which worked by the way but now I get constant stuttering.
Oh by the way the first fix that I found for the mem. could not be read bug is posted a few pages back.Beware it only worked for 1 day and blamo I got the error message again.

weird crap cuz other games work flawless on my comp
meh
-----
and what i mean with that, i'm under the impression that valve are as clueless as we are.

which is not good...

i dont know
i tried a bunch of crap
nothing works
hell with this
ill wait till release a patch or something.
pretty lame though ...

#!-Found A Fix-!#

Ok for alot of you guys out there your are having problems with this memory problem I was too. Well anyways go into you steam file, then steamapps, then your account, then hl2, then hl2 again, then maps, then sound cache for me i deleted d1_canals_02.cache and d1_canals_02.manifest, this was my problem. I deleted them and went to that level again played and played it perfectly!!!! Do this and then hl2 automatically puts those caches back in your soundcache file! Happy gaming! P.S DONT FORGET VERIFY AFTER THIS!!!!!!

JUST REMEMBER IF IT IS HAVING THIS PROBLEM ON A DIFFRENT LEVEL DO IT ON THAT ONE

#!-Found A Fix-!#

Ok for alot of you guys out there your are having problems with this memory problem I was too. Well anyways go into you steam file, then steamapps, then your account, then hl2, then hl2 again, then maps, then sound cache for me i deleted d1_canals_02.cache and d1_canals_02.manifest, this was my problem. I deleted them and went to that level again played and played it perfectly!!!! Do this and then hl2 automatically puts those caches back in your soundcache file! Happy gaming! P.S DONT FORGET VERIFY AFTER THIS!!!!!!

JUST REMEMBER IF IT IS HAVING THIS PROBLEM ON A DIFFRENT LEVEL DO IT ON THAT ONE

What fixed it for me was going into my graphic drivers properties ( ATi card ) , then in Display , then click on your current monitor , and chek "Use DCC (...)" and then set it to "same as desktop" ...

I can almost ganrantee it works :thumbs:

ok, i tried deleting the file, but i wasnt sure what one i needed to delete. I went into my savegames file and the one where i was having problems was d1 canals 13 (or at least that was the most recent)

I went into the soundcache file and there wasnt a 13. Does anyone else have a 13? is this why mine isnt working and crashing at that spot?

Or do the savegames just get 1 higher with each save.

Somebody who isnt having problems, or already has the gravity gun (im told that is in the next area for me) should check if they have a canals 13 file or even better, take a screenshot or a list of all the files that should be in the soundcache file

Thanks!
-CHris

Come on!

This is getting rediculous!! MAKE A GOD DAMN PACTH! I am this close to takin this game back.

Aparently physically moving RAM sticks around to different slots on your motherboard is working for some people.

Give it a try....

hey i always get the crash error and today i dled a new firewall and when i played half life to when i went to a point were it would autosave the firewall came up and said hl2.exe was trying to connect online and when i blocked it the error came up. may something there ill check into it somemore

welll i tried this and the error didnt pop up again although it did crash maybe cause i blocked it once its gonna keep blocking it ill check it out somemore

urseus said:
Aparently physically moving RAM sticks around to different slots on your motherboard is working for some people.

Give it a try....

There has been about 250 different things that people have done to get it to work. It is just weird how its somthing different for everybody.

i messed up in that last txt
the error message did pop up not the firewall message

guys or girlsss hmmm do girls play half life..........well anyway dont listen to me the firewall message didnt happen again maybe im crazy

Sorry for the previous posts in which i gave people even the slightest hint of hope in resolveng their mem. problem. The previous posts i did only temporarily fixed the problem now its back to its usual stuttering looping self.
He who laughs last is Valve(for they have our money allready).Crappola

I'm still having this problem after trying everything! Even the suggestions from steampowered.com. my specs if you still care are..
Windows xp SP2
AMD A64 3500+
ATI 9800 Pro
Sound Blaster LIVE Value
1gig of ocz platinum rev. 2
ocz 550watt PS
: My tempratures are rock solid and i tried raising the core voltage too.
out of all the suggestions I think CL_SMOOTH 0 helped the most. But I'm still getting crashes and sound loop to reset in cs:s and hl2
and also moving my sound card so the irq channels don't conflict with any of the other hardware helped a lot too. If you want to check if some of ur hardwares are sharing IRQ channels then go to the start>run>"msinfo32"

tank_fuel said:
I'm still having this problem after trying everything! Even the suggestions from steampowered.com. my specs if you still care are..
Windows xp SP2
AMD A64 3500+
ATI 9800 Pro
Sound Blaster LIVE Value
1gig of ocz platinum rev. 2
ocz 550watt PS
: My tempratures are rock solid and i tried raising the core voltage too.
out of all the suggestions I think CL_SMOOTH 0 helped the most. But I'm still getting crashes and sound loop to reset in cs:s and hl2
and also moving my sound card so the irq channels don't conflict with any of the other hardware helped a lot too. If you want to check if some of ur hardwares are sharing IRQ channels then go to the start>run>"msinfo32"

Hmm my radeon and sb have the same irq... 16..

gona change the position of the sb later today to see if that helps and i can get it a different irq

nOx34 said:
What fixed it for me was going into my graphic drivers properties ( ATi card ) , then in Display , then click on your current monitor , and chek "Use DCC (...)" and then set it to "same as desktop" ...

I don't see these things you speak of, more detail please.

Just thought I would add my voice to the thousands most likely who are living with this problem. Mine crashes at random and in different ways, most of the time with looping sound and the memory read error. But I have also had a spontanious reboot and blue screen as well.

My setup for the record:

AMD Barton XP-Mobile 2500 [12 x 200 @ 1.7v (2.4ghz) 43'c]
Coolermaster Vortex Dream 7 / Artic Silver 5 (Koolance Exos on the way)
Abit NF7-S V.2 (Zalman ZM-NB47J chipset cooler)
Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800XT (flashed pro) - Zalman passive heatsinks - Vantec Spectrum Fancard dual 80mm AGP cooler
Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250 BTV w/ Firefly
2X Geil Ultra Platinum 512mb PC3200 (Dual Channel) - Geil heat spreaders (2-3-3-7)
2 X Samsung Spinpoint 80GB 8mb SATA RAID 0
Maxtor 80GB 7200rpm 8mb IDE
Benq DW822A DVD-RW/CD-RW
Coolermaster Cavaliar Case w/ Musketeer
Thermaltake Silent Purepower 480w PS
Hansol 19" CRT Flatscreen - 17" CRT extended desktop
Windoze XP Pro SP2

Onboard soundchip is a soundstorm.

I've resoloved mine. Did the following 3 things at same time, so not sure which was responsible. will undo one by one to see in a while.

Added a fan my rig.
Moved my 2 512MB RAM chips up one slot each on MB
Reduced my core CPU Freq by 5MHz in the bios.

Try, and see if any works for you. I'd say it was the CPU reduction that did it - someone else posted this suggestion and it worked for them.

Hope this helps.

I can confirm that removing one of my two 512MB memory modules worked, I was then able to re-insert the module into a different slot and it still continued to work where before it would crash.

None of the suggested software tweaks (reinstalling game/deleting .gcf files etc worked, I even reinstalled OS on a new drive and it didnt work)

My exact error was a crash after only seconds of play or in the main menu:

The instruction at "0x241f8977" referenced memory at "0x013af5c0". The memory could not be "read".

This was also reproducible withing seconds of loading HL:Source but CS:Source would play for up to 30 minutes before crashing (unsure of exact error in case of CS:S)

Good luck!

Billox

temp solution

After experiencing similar memory problems, not getting beyond the teleportation of Alex, I managed to get at least 3 hours of play after doing following :

update of steam,
switched of all virtual memory, just relying on 1Gb RAM
freed some Gb's on HDD
defragged HDD

after ~3h heavy stuttering of gameplay and sound.
Restarting comp maked playing for another 3-4 hours possible.
Now only waiting for final Valve patch solution. At least the above makes playing HL2 bearable, with enjoyment.

Configuration :
Pentium IV - 2.2 MHz
Asus P4P800E-de luxe
Gforce FX5900
1 Gb RAM

I was able to get 1.5 hours out of my last game before I quit, I changed my pagefile settings to 512mb min and max.

I also losened my mem CAS to 2.5.

Beat my previous play record of 15 minutes.

The game still stuttered when accessing the hdd, but did not crash anymore.

I also had the annoying (The instruction at "0x241f8977" referenced memory at "0x013af5c0". The memory could not be "read".) error message.
It would happen after about 10-15 mins of gameplay.
I solved it (after 2 days of messing) by reducing the memory speed in the bios settings from 200 to 166.
I played for 6 hours with no problems at all (apart from the annoying stutter). Hope this helps.

System:
CPU:AMD 64 2800
Memory:512MB Corsair value
Motherboard: MSI k8N Platinum
Graphics:Gforce Fx5600
Sound:Onboard AC97 sound

hmmm

my mem is running at 220 fsb dual channel

my one stick is corsiar bh5 (512 - 3200), and i had that forever with no probs

i just upgraded with another stick, hyperx, and im PRETTY sure its bh5

the chip is rated at 3000 speeds but i have it at 2-2-2-11 220mhz (in tandum with the corsair)

It could be this chip is erroring out, but then again i ran memtest all night and prime 95 all night with no errors at my current speeds, PLUS i never have any problems with other games so i dont get why i should have to downclock... hmmm

ON a side note - when steam updated (latest one) i now have less crashes in hl2, MUCH less stuttering, but i get WAY MORE crashes in counter strike source - go figure... i just can't win man

i cant find the core cpu frequency in my bios. is it diffrent because i have a gateway e machine

After experiencing similar memory problems, not getting beyond the teleportation of Alex, I managed to get at least 3 hours of play after doing following :

update of steam,
switched of all virtual memory, just relying on 1Gb RAM
freed some Gb's on HDD
defragged HDD

after ~3h heavy stuttering of gameplay and sound.
Restarting comp maked playing for another 3-4 hours possible.
Now only waiting for final Valve patch solution. At least the above makes playing HL2 bearable, with enjoyment.

Configuration :
Pentium IV - 2.2 MHz
Asus P4P800E-de luxe
Gforce FX5900
1 Gb RAM
All RAM checked ok thorugh memory check from Microsoft

Well, at least you're not alone. I and a whole bunch of other people are getting the exact same error. I assume valve are working on something though.
;/

Darwg

Been having the same probs but only at the bit after the cemertry whislt going in the hole to the caves it just bombs out blue screen of death same error as above

im running
1.8gig processor
640ddr ram
nvidia 5600fx graphics card
sound card dont know what make
same for my motherboard

Pls someone sort this for all involed

Cheers Darwg :afro:

Mine crashes randomly. In menu settings, when loading a game, when staring a new game. It can hold one minute max!

First message is : connection to steam servers lost, could not acquire necessary game files.

The second message: the instruction at "0240fb0e3" referenced memory at "0f0000011c". The memory could not be read. Click OK to terminate the program.

I`m running W2000 SP4, P3 / 1000Mhz, 512MB, ATI Radeon 9600.
Also tried on W98.

Well, I thought steam had fixed this in their update from 19:th, so I reloaded all the game files (an hour or so on 10 MB/s-ADSL). After that I could play ONE session, made a SAVE and exited the game. When starting the game again, the error occures even before the main menu.

Steam-people claim: ".. A small number of Half-Life 2 customers ". According to the number of threads and posts about this in at least three different Forums there seem to be maybe more than a "small number of customers".

tobiasohman said:
Well, I thought steam had fixed this in their update from 19:th, so I reloaded all the game files (an hour or so on 10 MB/s-ADSL). After that I could play ONE session, made a SAVE and exited the game. When starting the game again, the error occures even before the main menu.

Steam-people claim: ".. A small number of Half-Life 2 customers ". According to the number of threads and posts about this in at least three different Forums there seem to be maybe more than a "small number of customers".

LOL, just think about the thousands of people who have no idea what a msg forum is and have this problem. They are completely on there own.

confirm!

nOx34 said:

Brilliant, that's fixed it for me - mucho thanks :cheese:
It was already set to use dcc, but after setting it to match the desktop it worked :D

Background: I'd get the memory error when trying to set the display to fullscreen on any resolution... running in a window worked, but who wants to do that with such a sweet looking game?!
This problem only started for me since the steam update on the 19th.
Radeon 9600pro (overclocked) (using reforce) (using Catalyst 4.12beta)
AthlonXP2600 @ 2.05GHz
768MB DDR3200
Windows XP Pro SP1

Well I had the same problem and I wanted to cry everytime it crashed. However, today I upgraded my graphics card to a GeForce 5200 from my crappy intergrated graphics, and it hasn't crashed once since.

My god, it's a stunning game.

Anyway, I wish the rest of you the best of luck in sorting this out. Valve will deliver soon enough.

Blurp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back