*CRASH* The memory could not be 'read' error, for HL2 and CS:S

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had the same problems as you all but for some reason these past couple days hl2 and cs have ran pretty well without too many crashes maybe one every two hours or so and hl2 deathmatch runs without any. In my case it seems so random.

Since downloading hl2dm i am no longer able to play hl2 singler playerv:-(

Original thread, crash of game do to memory error

ok, I have played the game for all of 3 minutes over the last 5 days or so, ( lost track at this point), the second number in the error message changed about 5 minutes ago, so looks like something is being done on this problem.

ofcourse tried to play the game again, got the title page up, the load screen, then ( oooh yes) the options to play save and so on. started the came and it started to load, got the little white bar about 3/4 of the way and those two deep "bong bong" sounds came through the speaker again, and yep you guessed, error message, the second numbers have moved from ( these are some of them not all as I dont know the meaning of them ) 01e6 to 01b7, so lol no real help just that maybe some progress is forth coming. ( fingers are stiff from ringing hands, got nothing to cross any more ) keep a smile, time and patients.

"fix"...and I use that term loosely; was everything but!

Same mem error prob for me.

Ugh

I was happy to learn that I'm not the only one with this problem... however I'm not thrilled to see it in such abundance.

Specs:

Gigabyte K8NSNXP-939
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Western Digital 74GB Raptor 10000 rpm
2 gigs (4 pcs 512) Corsair DDR (400) pc3200
XFX GeForce 6800 Ultra

As one can see, I shouldn't have a problem with anything, but alas, I very much am. Keep getting the same damn error at sheer random and I have boatloads of RAM.

Patch dammit!

Oh, I might add that before this recent patch, I had no problems at all. AT ALL. They broke something with the recent adds, they need to fix it.

Crash Maybe Solved

I might have solved it! I got past the initial problem spot and have not crashed yet ... Here is what I did ...

I shutdown or disabled the following:
1. Spybot Search and Destroy Resident (TEA Timer)
2. Norton Anti-Virus
3. Apache 2

I also went into the program manager and shut down:
1. The apache2.exe processes (there were two of them)
2. The norton ghost process

Previously I had disabled DirectX sound accelleration ... it is still disabled but it alone did not solve the crash ... will enable that first and see ...

Gonna start enabling important things one at a time and see if I can narrow it down some ... later ... it is 6am now ... going to f***ing sleep ...

i lowered my cpu external frequency to 190 then 185, but then before windows boots it comes up with an error message overclocking has failed and i can either load setup defualts or load setup, ive tried moving my ram to different slots and taking out different ram modules and this did **** all yippee im having fun twinkle pie

cavalier67 said:
I might have solved it!
I shutdown or disabled the following:
1. Spybot Search and Destroy Resident (TEA Timer)
2. Norton Anti-Virus
3. Apache 2

Unfortunately I don't have any of those.

Who's running ZoneAlarm? I'm wondering if that could have anything to do with it because whenever I tried to start CS or DM, I got that ZoneAlarm pop-up, which I said Yes to, but then got the memory error immediately afterwards.

i have 1.5 gig ram. when ever i increase my heapsize to more thena 256000 it gives the memory read error... wtf? i wana use atleast 512000 man

Ok, Ive been lurking long enough, and before I try any more fixes, can you please help assure me I am ACTUALLY having the same issue as everyone else in here.

I cannot play HL-Source or CS-Source for more than about 1min without crashing. BUT

My crash doesnot have an error message, it simply starts to loop some sounds, then my screen goes to insane mess of lines, sound contnues to loop....and I have to hard-boot....its hell.

I get no memory error message, nothing .....
Im hoping I have not been chasing the wrong dragons tail here lol
Sorry for the noobness of this post!

G-Dog said:
Ok, Ive been lurking long enough, and before I try any more fixes, can you please help assure me I am ACTUALLY having the same issue as everyone else in here.

I cannot play HL-Source or CS-Source for more than about 1min without crashing. BUT

My crash doesnot have an error message, it simply starts to loop some sounds, then my screen goes to insane mess of lines, sound contnues to loop....and I have to hard-boot....its hell.

I get no memory error message, nothing .....
Im hoping I have not been chasing the wrong dragons tail here lol
Sorry for the noobness of this post!

If ur on winxp... go settings>control panel>administrative tools>event viewer> and check around those msgs u get.. see maybe u do get the memory error

its usually in system and for me it appears as Information Application Popup and if I click I see "Application popup: HALF-LIFE 2: hl2.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x241f8977" referenced memory at "0x01cef5c0". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program"

misterbelgic said:
If ur on winxp... go settings>control panel>administrative tools>event viewer> and check around those msgs u get.. see maybe u do get the memory error

its usually in system and for me it appears as Information Application Popup and if I click I see "Application popup: HALF-LIFE 2: hl2.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x241f8977" referenced memory at "0x01cef5c0". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program"

-----Ok, thanks...and again....my noobness will astound you!

After the HL2 DM update ...F###...I get The Memory cannot be read....And Ive finished the game without problem ...just the regular stuttering when AutoSaving ! ! !
I had NO problem playing the HL2MP.....but when trying to load HL2....MemoryProblem started...I have NEVER had them before !

OK...What to do? Delete the HL 2 DM? Would that "reset" The game back to normal?..What if i Totally reinstall HL 2 ?
I´ve heard some guys having problems with the CD-Key is "in use"....Or do i uninstall Steam ? And "IF"..What files do i "HAVE" to safe-copy?
I have the DvD-European Version.
Any suggestions?
Thx Fork....ed.

Jesus!!!!! We're past page 50 and Valve still didn't came up with a solution for my favorite error message!

Am I the only one, or you guys spend countless hours in front of the comp trying to figure a solution?!

Valve, that is not how you treat costumers(fan? not anymore) :angry:

I get this message at the intro, right after it says Half-Life 2 the sound loops happens, I hear 2 error messages and all I get is a black screen until I exit the game. I just got a BFG Tech 6800 GT OC today, I upgraded from a 9800 which worked perfectly fine, my brother has the same card that I have but is using some beta driver that I am not using...so that could be the problem.

forkboy said:
After the HL2 DM update ...F###...I get The Memory cannot be read....And Ive finished the game without problem ...just the regular stuttering when AutoSaving ! ! !
I had NO problem playing the HL2MP.....but when trying to load HL2....MemoryProblem started...I have NEVER had them before !

OK...What to do? Delete the HL 2 DM? Would that "reset" The game back to normal?..What if i Totally reinstall HL 2 ?
I´ve heard some guys having problems with the CD-Key is "in use"....Or do i uninstall Steam ? And "IF"..What files do i "HAVE" to safe-copy?
I have the DvD-European Version.
Any suggestions?
Thx Fork....ed.

OK...I Fixed it with a reinstall.....to bad though...It could have been cool to play the DM for a while----

is there a way to run hl2 in singleplayer mode without logging on with steam? i got the game yesterday, but didnt realise u needed the net to run it

Chimaera_421 said:
is there a way to run hl2 in singleplayer mode without logging on with steam? i got the game yesterday, but didnt realise u needed the net to run it

nope, you can play in offline mode though.

can someone tell me if i am wrong ,please ?

imagine for some reason i dont have internet access ,and i want play hl2 single player /steam .

i have an aol cd , and when you try to set up an account with aol , you have an internet connection to fill up the form ,you know name address ,credit card , during that process i can log on to steam ,launch the game ,and forget about that filling forms ,just use it to get internet connection to launch game .
i think it s possible ,what do you think ?

I uninstalled everything and re-installed just HL2 and CS:S (this time in c: instead of d:) I did not get the deathmatch mod and now it seems to run fine.

mimo2005 said:
can someone tell me if i am wrong ,please ?

imagine for some reason i dont have internet access ,and i want play hl2 single player /steam .

i have an aol cd , and when you try to set up an account with aol , you have an internet connection to fill up the form ,you know name address ,credit card , during that process i can log on to steam ,launch the game ,and forget about that filling forms ,just use it to get internet connection to launch game .
i think it s possible ,what do you think ?

im pretty sure that internet access u get thru aol restricts u from visiting any other sites but aol

Code:
mat_forcehardwaresync 0 
mat_forcemanagedtextintohardware 0

these fixed a lot of crashes for me. might work for you, might not. May as well give it a try.

if you cannot start the game because it crashes, go to Play Games in steam, Half Life 2, properties, then launch options and add:
Code:
+mat_forcehardwaresync 0 +mat_forcemanagedtextureintohardware 0

Well ... been playing for two days now ... still no crashes ... after disabling the programs listed in my post above ... there was also a "bug" fix installed by steam yesterday ... not sure what effect that has had though ...

I have the same problem

p4 1.9 ghz
1 MB PC800 RDRAM
Geforce 6800 GT
Soundblaster Audigy platinum

does anyone have a solution yet?!

Where is the fix, it was ok for me till the 30/11 patch. Now I can get 5 mins max, sometimes it crashes before the maps have loaded in HL2 and CSS. I have changed ATI drivers from 4.9 through Omega 4.11, updated my SB Audigy2 ZS drivers, removed the SB and used on board sound.

I have an XP3.2 with 1 gig 400 MHz DDR in dual mode on an NForce 2 mobo, a Radeon 9800 Pro, SATA and IDE133 raid.

Aghh, I know you know at Valve, I just want to know how close you are to fixing it and why my machine is different from my clan mates!!!

Yeah I tried your suggestion iphitus...didn't do jack ;(

Anyway, keep the solutions coming. Bound to find one that is successful.

i still get memory read error so gay
****ing heapsize i want it 512000

I too get this memory error. It started happening only after latest Steam update. :(

i reinstall the game and DONT get any patch

i DID have this problem b4, i was the 1 of those complaints !
but i reinstall the game, and AVOID steam to patch my HL2(wt a shame to steam, HL2 getting worse after patch :devil: ) then playing WITH errors below, but good enough:
1st nite : 8-9 hrs => Microsoft C++ Runtime error, Abnormal program terminated.(NOT mem crashed)
2nd day: 4 hrs => same as above /\
RESTART HL2: 2 hrs => HL2 frozen cause other running program interrupted (i think)
RESTART HL2: 7 hrs => no more error came up, but ending^^

i NEVER get the mem error ,computer frozen & sounds looping again.
P.S.: dont know wt exactly the ending is(esp. about the other characters)! Waiting for HL3 !~~~ Cant stand anymore >.< :bounce: :bounce:

-----------------------------------------
我冇問題wo 用cheat由頭玩到落尾爆埋機
hahahaha~

Just checking in to say ive still got it. For me it sometimes happens but sometimes doesnt.. its very strange.

Just bring out a bloody fix for it. We are all so damn tired of the bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back