Crytek lays the smackdown on next-gen consoles

Icarusintel

Reaction score
OUCH!

It's good to be a computer gamer.

With all of the hype about next-gen console and their graphical prowess, soothsayers have been proclaiming the doom of the PC Games industry (again). Well, let's just put that to bed right now - Crysis will not be a console title. Why? Crytek says the next-gen consoles are simply "too weak" to run the game.

Senior Game Developer Bernd Diemer dropped this little tidbit as he spoke at the Leipzig Game Convention. The limitation isn't in how many computations that a console can do, or in its graphics chip, but how the API and optimisations are written for consoles (and then not updated again). Apparently, the optimisations written into DirectX 10 make such a difference that Crytek feels that there is no sense in writing for the non-upgradeable consoles, which are behind a generation in API despite being ahead in raw power.

Thats a punch in the face to console fanboys. I would say that sucks... but I am a pc gamer by trade.

I really dont understand all this bashing back and forth between pc gamers and console gamers. Im a "gamer" that means I love all forms of games consoles and PC's, I want to experience them all. To me thats like saying Im a "automobile" lover but only for the engine not for the car frame, performance, feel, style etc.

I really dont understand all this bashing back and forth between pc gamers and console gamers. Im a "gamer" that means I love all forms of games consoles and PC's and I want to experience them all. To me thats like saying Im a "automobile" lover but only for the engine not for the car frame, performance, feel, style etc.
QFT/E.

Crytek's next game is not going to sell well.

I really dont understand all this bashing back and forth between pc gamers and console gamers. Im a "gamer" that means I love all forms of games consoles and PC's and I want to experience them all. To me thats like saying Im a "automobile" lover but only for the engine not for the car frame, performance, feel, style etc.

QFT/E.

gtfo

Maybe Crysis will suck because loads of people will have a computer thats 'too weak' to run it.

Well console next-gen is the same as PC next-gen.. You can't buy a computer 2 years after a console is released and expect it to play the nex-gen, you need to buy a computer when the next gen computer stuff comes out (DX10). Everyone who has 6800GT or whatever should've waited until DX10 came out, because they just have the best hardware of last-gen, it's not next gen :|

What I think, computer gen goes up every 5 DX versions.. next gen after 10 will be 15, then 20..

Oh Crytek, you technology whores. "What, your console cannot support 8 trillion on screen polys, lighting that actually bounces of objects, and real-time fluid physics? Clearly you are too weak for our superior games."

I guarantee you that multiple games with better graphics than Crysis will be released on 360/PS3. They say that it's too weak, but remember that Far Cry wasn't exactly the most optimized game in the world. Judging by the requirements/peformance ratio of Crysis, it's going to continue down that path. My point is that just because Crytek can't make it happen doesn't mean the consoles aren't capable of it.

You notice that they only talk about running it in DX10 mode.

First, DX10 API isn't even supported on the Xbox360 or PS3 hardware, so they would have to do tons and tons of work to get similar behavior (and probably less performance) working with DX9 API.

Also, most users will play this in DX9 mode anyways (I doubt everyone is going to instantly sell their current card to upgrade to DX10 model card) and I guarantee you that they could get the DX9 version up and running on the Xbox360... It's just that they say DX9 mode isn't "the way it's meant to be played" (no connection to nvidia btw)

So what they are saying is that they want to get the DX10 version, which for them is the only way to go for consoles up and running, and they dare not try to get their DX9 version going...

No offense to anyone, but what they said is a carefully crafted pile of marketing bullshit.

I dont follow.

Are you saying they dont want to make a DX9 version?

And how would that be marketing. Im pretty sure saying "Hey, we dont give a shit about you console gamers" isnt a very good marketing statement for their game.

Doesnt mean anything to me. Im sure if they really wanted they can make it run on a ps3 if anything.

Any DX9 builds running on the PS3 or X360 will look better than DX9 builds running on PCs.

*runs*

Meh, I'll be getting a next-gen PC as soon as the DX10 cards are out anyway, but I'll still love my XBox360 and Wii, besides, considering this is EA, we can be fairly sure they'll force a console port of some sort through if the game does well on the PC..

QFT/E.

orly.jpg

Sigh. Who cares? I like games, not the platforms they run on.

God These Friends Own?

RLY, fanboyism in its own is stupid and immature.

You should like something because the price suits you, you enjoy the product, and it enriches you in some way. Not because "OMG HAHA NVIDIA IS MY STUFF NOT SOME SHITTAY ATI!!!!!!!"

Replace Nvidia/Ati with Comps/Console

I guarantee you that multiple games with better graphics than Crysis will be released on 360/PS3. They say that it's too weak, but remember that Far Cry wasn't exactly the most optimized game in the world. Judging by the requirements/peformance ratio of Crysis, it's going to continue down that path. My point is that just because Crytek can't make it happen doesn't mean the consoles aren't capable of it.

Yes.

Sigh. Who cares? I like games, not the platforms they run on.
Exactly. Crysis could probably run on the 360 or whatever, but not at its absolute fullest potential. Boo-hoo.

Not my cup of tea as it is, but there's certainly no need to get fired up over.... well, nonsense.

Being more a console gamer than a pc gamer I have to say that I couldn't give a shit :)

Oh no - we won't beable to play Crysis on the 360, Wii, or PS3. We'll just have to put up with these crap load of games that look soooo much better.

I didn't mean visually. I should have been a bit clearer - many games that look more appealing/original/innovative/fun.

QFT/E.

That's like saying HL2 wouldn't of sold well because it's on PC.

Anyway, who gives a crap. It's one game that needs a uber-pc to run and it'll probably be ridden with bugs because of the DX10 thing.

That's like saying HL2 wouldn't of sold well because it's on PC.

Anyway, who gives a crap. It's one game that needs a uber-pc to run and it'll probably be ridden with bugs because of the DX10 thing.

No it's not, HL2 is one of the most visually impressive and scalable engiines around. Crysis on the otherhand, is the most demanding games to come out. Saying it won't sell well has good basis since the majority of the PC's don't have 6800 GT's or greater that's required to run it at minimum settings.

So what Crytek is saying, is that you'll need a 5000 dollar computer just to run the game. Not a smart move. I don't care if they release it on consoles or not, it's not smart to say that the next-gen consoles are too weak. I bet that most people have a computer that's relatively the same power as the Xbox 360. So listen to crytek and save up for that 5000 dollar computer.

So what Crytek is saying, is that you'll need a 5000 dollar computer just to run the game. Not a smart move. I don't care if they release it on consoles or not, it's not smart to say that the next-gen consoles are too weak. I bet that most people have a computer that's relatively the same power as the Xbox 360. So listen to crytek and save up for that 5000 dollar computer.

5000 somali dollars maybe but not USD.

I really dont understand all this bashing back and forth between pc gamers and console gamers. Im a "gamer" that means I love all forms of games consoles and PC's, I want to experience them all. To me thats like saying Im a "automobile" lover but only for the engine not for the car frame, performance, feel, style etc.

That's a bad comparison. If you wanted to take that route, you would have spoke of people who only like/drive specific brands of cars.

Anyway, I believe the constant hate between the two groups is generated from most console gamers being unknowledgeable about their games, with most of them just loving shoot-em-up title. On the contrary to this, most PC gamers have at least a general idea of the work and detail put into their games, and tend to, in my opinion, have a better taste is their games.

I play both consoles and PC, but playing PC games is just more satisfying for me, and to my observations, it seems like console games are purposely dumbed down in general quality because the people who buy the games don't have a clue as to what's happening. :/

EDIT: btw, PCs don't cost that much at all anymore....my brother is looking to buy a good gaming pc soon, and after customizing one on newegg as well as sites such as ibuypower, a pc with an amd x2 cpu, and 7900gt, can range anywhere from about $850 - $1400, depending on how nice you want to go...the only thing that we have no idea of how prices will be are the dx10 gpus, which can't be THAT much more money than top GPUs now.

So let me get this straight, Crytek laid the "smack" down, because they were to lazy to code for other API's? Color me impressed...

Back