CS Performance?

WhiteDevil

Reaction score
No, I'm not another little rich kid wondering if his dream pc will be able to run cs or hl2. I've worked hard for my computer, and can't help wondering whether I should be getting higher framerates in CSS. I have:

AMD Athlon 64 3200
Radeon X800 Pro
1 Gig ram

On average I get 70 - 80 fps during CS (can go as high as 100 sometimes), but when theres a lot of action and physics it can drop as low as 35. Should I be getting higher framerates with my setup? Is it the beta's fault in that its not optimized fully yet? Thanks for the input.

well, its nothing wrong with your system. I think the beta's not thah fully optimized yet. a friend of mine got 180 fps with a radeon 9800

edit: 9800 pro that is

Yes, you should not drop that low in firefights with that card. It shouldn't drop like that if you have a 9600 xt (Though your usual fps wouldn't be as high).

How did your frirend get 180 with 9800 pro?

At least you can get those framerates. I can't for the life of me figure out whats wrong with my fps. I just switched harddrives and now my fps is cut in half.

AMD64 3200+
X800 XT PE

When I first tried source the video stress test gave me 115 fps. Now I get 73. Its really aggrivating since I"m using the same drivers, same set up just another harddrive and brand new winxp installation. Harddrive is at the same rpm as before. I just switched from SATA to IDE and its really shouldn't be that big of a difference. I can't seem to get SMARTGART on for it tho. Any idea why?

destrukt said:
Yes, you should not drop that low in firefights with that card. It shouldn't drop like that if you have a 9600 xt (Though your usual fps wouldn't be as high).

How did your frirend get 180 with 9800 pro?

I have no ide, thats what he told me. Low settings maybie ?

one time I was wonderingwhy my cards performance was so horrible so I did some searching... to my surprise in the control panel, the card was set way below its potential. I just defaulted everything from there and framerates were back to normal. I don't know what did that (virus?) maybe lil bro was messin with it..

I'll join the club with the X800 problem...My X800 Pro does basically the same. :(

Play4Fun said:
Are u guys (with the X800) running winXP SP2?

I haven't gotten SP2 because it would mess up Warcraft 3, why, will it increase my performance?

sublidieminal said:
one time I was wonderingwhy my cards performance was so horrible so I did some searching... to my surprise in the control panel, the card was set way below its potential. I just defaulted everything from there and framerates were back to normal. I don't know what did that (virus?) maybe lil bro was messin with it..

Where in the control panel?

WhiteDevil said:
I haven't gotten SP2 because it would mess up Warcraft 3, why, will it increase my performance?
I dont think so, I asked it because my friend got P4 2.6Ghz, 512Mb DDR, Sapphire Radeon X800PRO and WinXP SP2 and he got 77~fps in the stress test with 1024X768 4xAA 8xAF... its good right? =\

Play4Fun said:
No, I dont think so, I asked it because my friend got P4 2.6Ghz, 512Mb DDR, Sapphire Radeon X800PRO and WinXP SP2 and he got 77~fps in the stress test with 1024X768 4xAA 8xAF... its good right? =\

Yes but the stress test is all about your gfx card, while CS:S is all about your cpu horsepower.

bgesley426 said:
At least you can get those framerates. I can't for the life of me figure out whats wrong with my fps. I just switched harddrives and now my fps is cut in half.

AMD64 3200+
X800 XT PE

When I first tried source the video stress test gave me 115 fps. Now I get 73. Its really aggrivating since I"m using the same drivers, same set up just another harddrive and brand new winxp installation. Harddrive is at the same rpm as before. I just switched from SATA to IDE and its really shouldn't be that big of a difference. I can't seem to get SMARTGART on for it tho. Any idea why?

Sounds like a chipset driver thing to me. Reinstall the latest drivers and see if that clears you up.

Back