CS:S -- great game but too much cheating

Acert93

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been observing the forums for a while. I recently got HL2 preloaded and ordered it through Steam. While waiting I have been playing CS:S.

First off, CS:S is a great game. Solid engine, great graphics, good feel (everything feels "solid"), balanced gameplay, etc... The fact it has ported levels (which explains why they are all so great gameplay wise) makes me think CS:S has a lot more potential than what we see right now. Just thinking of CS2 makes me pretty excited! These guys really know how to make a good MP game.

Now the sad part: The cheaters. I never played CS before because of the reputation of the community: lots of immature people and just as many hackers/cheaters/exploiters/and so on. I am SURE this is not true of the majority of CS players, but a couple rotten apples can really spoil ones perception.

I had hoped with 5 years and the new Source engine that Valve may have resolved the cheating issues.

Well, in my very first game there was a guy running around with a speedhack! He was zooming around the map looping around and killing everyone from behind. Of course there was no admin present (I admin a Desert Combat server and I know how hard it is to admin it 24-7, so not complaining there) so this person continued playing and disrupting the game. While I ignored it and tried to enjoy the game it was none the less annoying.

I had hoped this was just a fluke, yet out of the 4 times I have gotten online to play, 3 times this occured. After reading around it seems hacks are already present in the game. :(

I am not one of those guys who gets bent out of shape about cheating accusations. Our clan requires a screenshot before you even make a comment that someone cheated. In my time with Desert Combat I have seen only a handful of cheaters. I am SURE there were others but I could care less. Unless it is obvious I am not gonna loose sleep over it. Too many good players get accused of cheating, so I refrain from even mentioning it unless it is a clear case of cheating. And for the most part you can go weeks or months before you find a cheater (though I hear cheating was more of a problem before the 1.2 and 1.4 BF1942 patches and pre-Punkbuster). But going from that to CS:S and seeing the blatant cheating is a turn off.

This is just shocking. Now I may be having some bad luck on what servers I go on (and thus am seeing more cheaters because of this), but this is frustrating. Any suggestions on finding good server to play on? I am a total CS newb and am really raw, but I do like the game. I do not mind being killed (tis life), but seeing guys run around cheating sort of takes the fun out of it for me.

Btw, I have played BF1942/Desert Combat for a long time and I while I know there are cheaters out there for the most part it is a mute point. Aimbots do not do much to a tank hehehe I really hope Valve gets their VAC stuff up to date soon.

Anyhow, thanks for hearing my comments. I think CS:S is a very good game and a worthy HL2 MP component (I think the variety will help sales a lot actually). I love the teamwork and the change of pace from more arcady FPS. I just hope the cheating is resolved so it is not such a blatant issue.

And if it lingers too long a LOT of gamers will miss out because, frankly, most of the people I know have never played CS because of the image that CS has lots of cheaters.

Acert93 said:
Hello,

I have been observing the forums for a while. I recently got HL2 preloaded and ordered it through Steam. While waiting I have been playing CS:S.

First off, CS:S is a great game. Solid engine, great graphics, good feel (everything feels "solid"), balanced gameplay, etc... The fact it has ported levels (which explains why they are all so great gameplay wise) makes me think CS:S has a lot more potential than what we see right now. Just thinking of CS2 makes me pretty excited! These guys really know how to make a good MP game.

Now the sad part: The cheaters. I never played CS before because of the reputation of the community: lots of immature people and just as many hackers/cheaters/exploiters/and so on. I am SURE this is not true of the majority of CS players, but a couple rotten apples can really spoil ones perception.

I had hoped with 5 years and the new Source engine that Valve may have resolved the cheating issues.

Well, in my very first game there was a guy running around with a speedhack! He was zooming around the map looping around and killing everyone from behind. Of course there was no admin present (I admin a Desert Combat server and I know how hard it is to admin it 24-7, so not complaining there) so this person continued playing and disrupting the game. While I ignored it and tried to enjoy the game it was none the less annoying.

I had hoped this was just a fluke, yet out of the 4 times I have gotten online to play, 3 times this occured. After reading around it seems hacks are already present in the game. :(

I am not one of those guys who gets bent out of shape about cheating accusations. Our clan requires a screenshot before you even make a comment that someone cheated. In my time with Desert Combat I have seen only a handful of cheaters. I am SURE there were others but I could care less. Unless it is obvious I am not gonna loose sleep over it. Too many good players get accused of cheating, so I refrain from even mentioning it unless it is a clear case of cheating. And for the most part you can go weeks or months before you find a cheater (though I hear cheating was more of a problem before the 1.2 and 1.4 BF1942 patches and pre-Punkbuster). But going from that to CS:S and seeing the blatant cheating is a turn off.

This is just shocking. Now I may be having some bad luck on what servers I go on (and thus am seeing more cheaters because of this), but this is frustrating. Any suggestions on finding good server to play on? I am a total CS newb and am really raw, but I do like the game. I do not mind being killed (tis life), but seeing guys run around cheating sort of takes the fun out of it for me.

Btw, I have played BF1942/Desert Combat for a long time and I while I know there are cheaters out there for the most part it is a mute point. Aimbots do not do much to a tank hehehe I really hope Valve gets their VAC stuff up to date soon.

Anyhow, thanks for hearing my comments. I think CS:S is a very good game and a worthy HL2 MP component (I think the variety will help sales a lot actually). I love the teamwork and the change of pace from more arcady FPS. I just hope the cheating is resolved so it is not such a blatant issue.

And if it lingers too long a LOT of gamers will miss out because, frankly, most of the people I know have never played CS because of the image that CS has lots of cheaters.

Assuming the dilemma of immature people and cheaters would be resolved is like assuming every child in elementary, jr. high and high school will act like a professional adult. It'll never happen, buddy, sorry to say it. Best thing to do it deal with it, ignore it or play in servers / places where you feel most comfortable.

well you can say what you whan but i've been playing cs:s for like 4 weeks and i never had a cheating problem (go to nexus or boomtown servers) they are respectivly low on cheaters.

while i havent seen any cheaters on css that doesnt mean they dont exist but once hl comes out those cheaters should dissapear because as of now there isnt any cheat protection in place so people can pretty much cheat to their hearts content. but once the valve anti cheat is activated a lot of people are gonna dissapear to some worldwide bans.

There is such an obscene ammount of people that play CS that you will never be able to deter all the people hacking the code to make cheats.

Never... I hate this fact too... but you can't change it.

Acert, you are right. It has happened to me to, and it get's very frustrating. You pay for an entertainment and expect it to be fair and pleasing. But as the other guys said, there will always a bunch of assholes that think it is so much fun to kill everybody by cheating. They only do it because they are frustrated by not being able to be good enough to compete with so many excellent players out there. But what I think is really frustrating to them is when they manage to get beaten up even though they are cheating. ;)

Anyway, let's just hope valve keeps releasing anti-cheating patches, and meanwhile assemble a cheat free servers list. At least that's what I do.

Back