CS:S is now 889mb!

cadaveca

Reaction score
check your gcf's if ya got'em...i'd say that was a preload!

Shock news: Game updates make game larger.

Other news: Pope is not a protestant.

The cache files are mostly just reserved space. It could've been anything from Valve preparing for the full release by increasing the cache size, or they didn't mean to do it.

Did it seem like it was downloading 500mb of extra stuff?

Feath said:
The cache files are mostly just reserved space. It could've been anything from Valve preparing for the full release by increasing the cache size, or they didn't mean to do it.

took 2 hours.....and i have 768KB dsl....

EDIT: verified that there are more files...won't say more than that. ***scape....

Ya i take this as a preload 4. Getting warmer. :p

Feath said:

well i'm up to 252 megs dled, sitting on 82%,

Fair enough, then.

I don't see why Valve would hide a preload and disguise it as CS:S, especially since not everyone can get access to CS:S.

All of the previous preloads came on Thursdays too... Hmm...

Wednesday/Thursday. Its always been that. Oh and does anyone else remember when valve said they will have updates done on Wednesday?

wouldn't it be sad if valve fudged up steam and unlocked and gave away half life 2 to everyone for free?

just my imagination going off the walls; but a sad thought, nonetheless

lucidrains said:
wouldn't it be sad if valve fudged up steam and unlocked and gave away half life 2 to everyone for free?

just my imagination going off the walls; but a sad thought, nonetheless

That would be horrible. Im getting hl2 for free (ATI voucher) and im still buying the CE.

Feath said:
Fair enough, then.

I don't see why Valve would hide a preload and disguise it as CS:S, especially since not everyone can get access to CS:S.

Feath, you should have realized by now that i would not waste people's time by starting a thread on nothing....pretty much every one of my posts has been either to verify something, or to ask a question not asked. i find your assault on my honor horrific, and have no respect for the likes of you.

why did it take me all of 5 minuits to download the patch??? and its takeing you all a freeking lokng time :p

Bigcheese said:
why did it take me all of 5 minuits to download the patch??? and its takeing you all a freeking lokng time :p

You got on a empty content server. :smoking:

Bigcheese said:

are you an ati coupon holder? I am.
does your gcf read as 889mb?
do you have the option to select shaders now in the video options of the beta? there have been no less than 5 patches/updates in the last 2 days.....and each and every time CS:S was involved, i was able to play quite some time before the downloads were complete......

what anime is Raziel from? is it a good anime? haven't watched a good one since bebop.

your making such a deal out of nothing.... again... please calm down. why would they hide the 4th preload in a cs:s update, when eveyone dosent have accses to it? This half-life 2 realease hysteria is going 2 far. you are seeing signs of realease everywhere. omg :p

maybe its for the cs source portion of the hl2 dl, therefore they are giving it to people with the beta first?

making it easier for when people try to get once hl2 is released?

then again maybe not..

kiwii said:
your making such a deal out of nothing.... again... please calm down. why would they hide the 4th preload in a cs:s update, when eveyone dosent have accses to it? This half-life 2 realease hysteria is going 2 far. you are seeing signs of realease everywhere. omg :p

LOL i'm calm. howeva...

i got LOTS of files. including access to the shader option in the menu...and ....well....***scape it...php...ATICT....

cadaveca said:
Feath, you should have realized by now that i would not waste people's time by starting a thread on nothing....pretty much every one of my posts has been either to verify something, or to ask a question not asked. i find your assault on my honor horrific, and have no respect for the likes of you.

Actually I find your threads tend to make a lot out of nothing. You interpret the smallest things as meaning stuff they don't.

I'd say CS:S being 500MB bigger than it was before is pretty big.

That is ridiculous if it is downloading 500megs of crap for just a CS:S update.

Is it truly transfering this much data? Because I want to continue playing CS:S but I see no reason why I need another half a gig on my HD in order to do so.

i am not an ATI person (to lazy to spell) and yes its 889mb and i let the hole thing download (i was doing the third test(yes i know it turned out not to be))

and i havnt seen the shaders (havnt looked either)

there are alot of files here..including HL2 stuff...i'll let you know if there is anything oertaining to the php session.....i did find headcrabburning.wav....
all the .wav's are unencrypted and playable.

There most certainly is a lot of HL2 stuff in this file. All of it isn't present in the 3 preloads we have. The weird thing is that it's not encrypted, so you can listen to the sounds and stuff. I'm not what's going on, but I'm definately asking Valve about this.

Remember they plan to add new maps and content after release, the cache space is probably reserved for this.

ElFuhrer said:
There most certainly is a lot of HL2 stuff in this file. All of it isn't present in the 3 preloads we have. The weird thing is that it's not encrypted, so you can listen to the sounds and stuff. I'm not what's going on, but I'm definately asking Valve about this.

Maybe they didn't mean to do it. Remember the Half-Life 2 script that came with the Cyber-Cafe's version of CS:S?

Feath said:
Maybe they didn't mean to do it. Remember the Half-Life 2 script that came with the Cyber-Cafe's version of CS:S?

so, heretic, do you now believe? sorry, but i was the first to find...remember that it was ME who has his posts on the php site.....if ya weren't such a smartass i'd like ya, because it's quite obvious you're not stupid.

edit: someone posted earlier about the first letters of each italic word reading as atict...ATI coupon test perhaps?

cadaveca said:
so, heretic, do you now believe? sorry, but i was the first to find...remember that it was ME who has his posts on the php site.....if ya weren't such a smartass i'd like ya, because it's quite obvious you're not stupid.

edit: someone posted earlier about the first letters of each italic word reading as atict...ATI coupon test perhaps?

I conceeded that I believed that there was extra content a while back, but I don't believe that it's the 4th preload (like you were making out).

And please don't let the fact that one of the php things may have been related to your post go to your head.

Feath said:
I conceeded that I believed that there was extra content a while back, but I don't believe that it's the 4th preload (like you were making out).

And please don't let the fact that one of the php things may have been related to your post go to your head.

i'm not letting it go to my head...they read what i posted and just picked it. But because i was part of the intial contact, i was looking for an update or something tonight, and as soon as i could play CS:S with no lag, but it was still downloading, i immediately checked things out and then posted. that was what i meant by that comment, not that i should be "credible" because of it.

oh and by the way it copied my 2 posts to the letter. both the one in chris_d's name(you can never know the truth), and the kill one(wake up and smell the ashes, all paths lead to death).

also, it must be a preload, otherwise there would not be the contents of the empty files from the hl2 preload.

cadaveca said:
i'm not letting it go to my head...they read what i posted and just picked it. But because i was part of the intial contact, i was looking for an update or something tonight, and as soon as i could play CS:S with no lag, but it was still downloading, i immediately checked things out and then posted. that was what i meant by that comment, not that i should be "credible" because of it.

oh and by the way it copied my 2 posts to the letter. both the one in chris_d's name(you can never know the truth), and the kill one(wake up and smell the ashes, all paths lead to death).

So why bring it up? We were talking about the CS:S update. And then you just say "Remember, it was me who had his post on the php site".

Also, What initial contact are you referring to?

cadaveca said:
also, it must be a preload, otherwise there would not be the contents of the empty files from the hl2 preload.

So why would they be unencypted and only available to people who have CS:S? And why wouldn't they mention it?

cadaveca said:
took 2 hours.....and i have 768KB dsl....

EDIT: verified that there are more files...won't say more than that. ***scape....
my update took roughly 20 seconds. im on 3mb cable and i cant download 500mb in 20 seconds. so much for your theory.

cadaveca said:

I really hope it's not any sort of HL2 preload. There's a reason I don't want it preloaded on my computer so I shouldn't be forced to do so now just to play CS:S.

Of the 928megs only 866 are in use, of this 614megs is of materials, in there are all the materials for all of the other maps eg: cd_office, de_cbble etc, not just de_dust. There are no bsp files for the additional maps.

I think this is a preload, but not of half-life 2, it would not make sense for Beta testers to redownload CS:S when it is released, therefore they are adding the content now. My guess they would have been hoping to preload additional HL2 content this week, but with no gold yet, they are utilizing the the time and bandwidth to get more CS content out.

Back