CTF_EXPORT: First original ctf map for HL2DM

M

MagicTMP

YOU MUST PUT YOUR SERVER IN TEAMPLAY OR ELSE THE TRIGGERS WILL NOT WORK!

It is here. after 2 months of development and one final week of perfecting and tweaking, it is here. the scenario is a culmination of UT's bombing run and capture the flag. the map consists of two sides with 3 connecting hallways. it is great fun.

THE OBJECTIVE is to bring the colored combine balls (red for rebels, blue for combine) from your enemies flag room to your flag room by shooting, passing, and killing. touching your own flag will result in death.

the score is recorded in a scoreboard attached to the HUD. it is with you at all times. do not look for a giant scoreboard in the map because there is none. first to 10 wins. when a team wins, a message appears showing which team won, explosions, and the game is started again.

Special thanks to:
Object - host for the map, Flashdevil, hamst3r, fi3nd, [TK]Archwolf, Morph-Ninja, Blender, and many of the other beta testers who all gave input to this map.

(NOTE: the blue/red screen in the doorway/window of each flag room PULSES and fades in and out from opaque to nothing. IT IS NOT PERMANENT in the last screenshot.)

download:
http://www.editlife.net/files/download.php?id=1

screenshots:

ctf_export1.jpg

ctf_export8.jpg

ctf_export5.jpg

ctf_export13.jpg

ctf_export15.jpg

have fun!

That looks pretty awesome. Im gonna have to give it a try later on. ;)

It is fun actually having some sort of objective other then get to the top of the list. Good job

its also making up for the slowness people are reporting about hl2dm.

Hey I gave this a good run about and am impressed - Nice mapping work.

trippywippy said:
kool, hope its better than that damn tfc 2fort port

Yes, needing a CTF fix I checked that out yesterday online for a while. It was fun but I can see this type of CTF/BR gameplay adding some speed into HL2.

thats a fun map to play... even with a 215ping, being that there is no servers running it in AUS...

catch

MagicTMP said:
its also making up for the slowness people are reporting about hl2dm.
How the hell? Unless this introduces BH or similar, HL2DM ain't speeding up.

Nice map though :)

i mean the gameplay of it seems to speed it up :). and thanks.

Still, the move speed remains low :p

Anyway, I personally think it's good people are building in CTF, but I still wish for HLDM-like speed.. perhaps in a mod ;)

Played today, and it rocks! :E

The only complaint is that it is too easy to score from a distance.

With one guy at enemy flagroom and one in the corridor with 2 explosive barrels, it is possible to score about every 15 seconds.

Also spawncamping happens a lot, maybe you could add tfc style spawnrooms? Or at least make superchargers in flagrooms unusable for the enemy?

Edit: ladders are hard as hell to get up, especially the one in the central corridor.

whoooaaa howd you get it to show like that?

and scoring every 15 seconds in a full server is very hard. we wanted the gameplay to not drag on so we decided it would be best to shoot from a distance. 2 1/2 minutes seems a lot longer than in words.

It was a graphics bug.

Here's a pic of dm_overwatch with the same bug.

Somehow it affects your map much more for some reason

Edit: maybe you could make the flag return to base if nobody touches it for a minute? When i played some guy threw the rebel flag on the combine flagroom roof and it was impossible to get it down from there

oh god. guess we missed a spot ><. i cant redistribute though. just make sure your teammates dont be assholes and do that. :/

MagicTMP said:
just make sure your teammates dont be assholes and do that. :/

It's not like anyone does this on purpose. Players new to this map want to score a quick capture and aim too high. I've just seen it happen for the 2nd time. Everyone sees it's up there of cource but it's impossible to get down:(.

That purple is from the default black-purple checker texture with missing cubemaps. Try 'buildcubemaps' in the console.

Map looks great, gonna try it soon.

Good thing you found the time to play your own map MagicTMP :E

I played under the nick FlagCarrier.

Your team didnt do so well though :p

lol, we were killing more than capping... hehehe.

and yeah, of course ra7. ill update you if anything else is updated.

Overwatch said:
Good thing you found the time to play your own map MagicTMP :E

I played under the nick FlagCarrier.

Your team didnt do so well though :p

SKILLLLZOORSs!!!!!! :p

I was there, i wasn't even playing, i was searching the map and having a lot of fun! I remember you, do you remember me? :p

Just played this map, it's really cool and very fun to play!
Just great! :)

here are some servers to play at (just to name two):

PC Zone HL2 [Teamplay] - 213.208.119.230:27055
Lamertamers HL2 CTF - 212.112.186.18:27015

and jangle, just add the ip by clicking the Add Server in the favorites tab. or just go into the game, open up console, and type in connect *ip* and press enter. it should work either way.

ok, someone at steampowered has been pushing and pushing for a new release of the map because of very minor details. ctf_export_final will come out soon. you can run both versions if you want. im sorry to have you redownload the map. look for it soon.

ill let you give your input on some of these changes (theyll have a '*' next to them, but the ones without the '*' are going in)

-boards over windows (unbreakable) *
-flag coming back to spawn every 30 seconds (if idle)
-blocking off areas to further increase security of the ball

Other:
-LADDERS CANNOT BE CHANGED! i did them the only way they can be done. i cannot control the ladder problems.
-i am not going to increase the aura of the ball. the fact that it might be hard to find will be fixed in the second fix above.

i think theres more, but those are what i remember atm. ill be discussing this with other people as well.

I find the aura around the ball is good, no need to make it any bigger. Leave it like that. :)

i planned not to change it anyway :)... only some people apparently cant see it behind some things (colorblind?) :).

is it possible you can find out from other mappers how they managed to get their ladders working properly? There's gotta be some trick to doing it. Everytime I play a custom map with ladders that work I think back to your map. I've noticed that one of the ladders doesn't stick, the one closest to the red flag but the other 4 do. I just want the best for your map. :(

I'd like to test the final too!

ill even copy and paste the ones in sdk_lockdown to make SURE they work properly. if that doesnt work its not my fault and not under my control as ive been saying since the discussion of faulty ladders came up.

and yeah riggz, ill let you be one of the final testers. whats your email/aim?

the final is almost ready for shipping. if anyone wants to beta test just please post some contact info here.

ok, testing is tonight at 6pm pacific. all info will be in your email!

Your map is great, looks good and is fken fun. Keep up the good work

Back