Curious Screen Shot [HL2 Engine]

hmmm interesting

though one might be a stain on the floor.. but it looks to have more than one shadow.

[[LuCkY]] said:
How do you know they wont?

Well... from all the SS's I've seen... all the objects have only one single shadow which is directly beneath it...

I've said it in more than 3 threads in a row - Vampires HAS dynamic shadows which change with light sources and multiple shadows. See the new gamelay movies from yahoo to see what I mean. This shows that the source engine does support it - but HL2 doesn't have em.

Hmf... We'll just have to wait til either:

1. A new Half-Life 2 demo is released w/ all the end features.

2. Half-Life 2 comes out and we play it.

3. Get an official e-mail from an employee at Valve.

I'm sure Half-Life 2 will have a good shadows when it's released... They wouldn't leave something like that out/ looking weird.

lans said:
I've said it in more than 3 threads in a row - Vampires HAS dynamic shadows which change with light sources and multiple shadows. See the new gamelay movies from yahoo to see what I mean. This shows that the source engine does support it - but HL2 doesn't have em.

THanks.. now my question.. why not!??!?! :bonce:

Well i'm looking forward to July 31st. That's when Valve show the media a playable version of both CS: Source and HL2 at G4TechTV G-phobia or whatever it's called. We'll have our answers by then

WARNING: The Sugeon General Has Determined That Cigarette Smoking Can Cause Cancer, Lung Disease, Emphysema, Diarrhea, Jock Itch, VD, Alien Invasion, Swamp Foot, and May Lead to the Death of Cute Little Puppies

Heh.

Any idea when this game is coming out?

Vampire has a lot of well paced humour - me likes it.

HL2 has massive environments and a shadowing technique such as that would not help much - besides the game is supposed to work on something as low as a Geforce 2, so volumetric shadows would cause major framrate skips. Just look at the Doom 3's specs. Dynamic shadows don't really affect HL2's gameplay like in Doom 3 or vampires where they even set a mood for the game.

Vampires is a game about well....vampires. You'll be out at night and in the dark much more often so the shadows are needed to give that noir terrifying late night LA feel to it. Dynamic shadows would help A LOT to set the mood. However, if you notice the vids, the shadows are kinda buggy, so this tech is not handled nicely by many developers (except id software) so valve just ignored implementing it in HL2.

Hope that answers some questions.

Vampire does indeed have multiple shadows per entity. Someone pointed out that in part 5 of that videoseries of Vampire the Gargoyle casts multiple shadows on the floor.
There's no reason why Source wouldn't be able to do this either, in HL2 it's just done purely for performance reasons.

Yeah, Vampire sure does have dynamic shadows.. That's great.

And whole lot of humour. Like in that ss that cigarette ad:

"WARNING: Surgeon has determined that cigarette smoking can cause cancer, lung disease, emphysema, diarrhea, jock itch, VD, alien invasion, swamp foot and may lead to the death cute little puppies."

:D :D

edit: And no, it doesn't kill the framerates that much, look at Splinter Cell.

I think it depends on what kind of hardware you got. I am sure it will cast multiple shadows if you have good hardware

RaBiD WeAzEL said:
Hmf... We'll just have to wait til either:

1. A new Half-Life 2 demo is released w/ all the end features.

they said they wouldnt release a demo before the game is released

DESSTROYER said:
they said they wouldnt release a demo before the game is released

i think he meant a demo as in a demonstration - as in another video. he said 'a new' hl2 demo - as if there has been one released already (which suggests he was talking about a video not a playable demo)

will they be mailing out cd's of the cs:s beta to people on dialup?

WTF? HL2 with Dynamic Shadows?!?!?! I though it wasnt gonna be included in the full game?

Valve shouldnt remove it, instead make it an option in the video settings so we can fool around with it.

acme420 said:
will they be mailing out cd's of the cs:s beta to people on dialup?

I doubt it. My friend has dial-up so i'll be putting the CS:S files on a disk for him though.

It'd be cool if the supported it , though we haven't seen HL2 shadows at a full extent (for ex. normal mapping) just takes this into account, in the Vampire's pic the guy is standing under different lights causing that effect whereas most of the footage from Hl2 is outdoors son we have 1 lightsource the sun, also Valve has stated they intend on having one main lightsource in each scene, but we also have some individuals like lights and stuff maybe if you combine them in the proper way you can get a result as the one in vamp's pic.

I dont think its so hard to implement real time dynamic shadows into a game (or any other graphical elements). The hardest thing is to invent the new technology.

I guess we just havent noticed it or... something.

Multiple shadows per character add jack shit to the experience and tend to knock double-digits off of frame rate.

SMT said:
Multiple shadows per character add jack shit to the experience and tend to knock double-digits off of frame rate.
If Valve can make multiple dynamic shadows with different levels of detail, then it wouldn't knock off as may FPS. Plus, people with high-end cards enjoy pushing it to the limit, enabling everything, and multiple shadows per model would make the game a LOT more detailed, despite what many people think. Of course there's AI reactions to shadows that would have to be taken into consideration... Maybe for a Source modular update.

Is it just me or does that screenshot look awfull. The graphics look 10 years old.

I doubt that Vampires will have the amount of physically simulated objects that HL2 will have. I think in a situation where all of these objects move around at once, like in an explosion, dynamically calculated shadows would cause an extreme frame rate drop.

I read somewhere that dynamic shadows are in the engine already and could be modded right back into HL2, but I'll bet you will see how it affects perfomance and immediately take it out.

Why does everyone like stencil shadows so much? They don't look very realistic because they can't be soft shadowed.

ill chop both my legs off if dynamic shadows arnt in HL2 (dont need them anyway). Although i am actually not bothered if they are or are not. I mean valve put all this detail in but there just gonner have silly little simple shadows i have high doubts about that. Maybe they had some problems with it, they been trying some nice shadows but they abit buggy, drop your frames alot or somin.

If your really that bothered and your stuck with shilly shadows and i become legless, if your really that bothered just mod it.

ViolenceJack said:
ill chop both my legs off if dynamic shadows arnt in HL2 (dont need them anyway). Although i am actually not bothered if they are or are not. I mean valve put all this detail in but there just gonner have silly little simple shadows i have high doubts about that. Maybe they had some problems with it, they been trying some nice shadows but they abit buggy, drop your frames alot or somin.

If your really that bothered and your stuck with shilly shadows and i become legless, if your really that bothered just mod it.
Prepare to be legless. :(

And people need to stop dissing the actual shot... it's cool. Of course, I've recently become a Bloodlines whore too so... :naughty:

Half-Life 2 is said to use shader-based render very similar to what Pixar uses.

The graphics should be better than the one featured in that screenshot.

I mean come on! It's PIXAR! T3h are bet tar than ValvE.

Jeebus, Bloodlines is ugly.......uhg........gj Source.

Source isn't any closer to prerendered Pixar quality graphics than Quake3 was. Thats Valve's PR PiMPS at work. The Doom3 engine is the biggest leap towards Pixar quality graphics, and it's still pretty far off. but not all that far when you think about it. More polies, soft shadows, and it's almost there. Superficial changes that happen over time. Source, on the other hand, isn't anything dramatically different. It's not some kind of giant leap in progress.

God, Bloodlines is ugly.

lol yeah i smell a real stinker coming up in vampires. Not just this scshot, the others I've seen aren't much better off either.

Do you guys want to play the game, or watch a pre rendered movie? Truth is, hardware right now can't really handle soft fuzzy dynamic self shadowing models that well. Not to say it can't be done, UE3 does it, but they are looking at systems right now being aboslutly low end by the time the epic releases its first game on that engine. They eye candy in hl2 looks good to me, great hi res textures, smooth fluid animations, detailed polygonal character models, awesome shaders, nifty physics, and decent shadows. Its good enough for me.

Devilphish said:

Source isn't any closer to prerendered Pixar quality graphics than Quake3 was. Thats Valve's PR PiMPS at work. The Doom3 engine is the biggest leap towards Pixar quality graphics, and it's still pretty far off. but not all that far when you think about it. More polies, soft shadows, and it's almost there. Superficial changes that happen over time. Source, on the other hand, isn't anything dramatically different. It's not some kind of giant leap in progress.

God, Bloodlines is ugly.

Look, it's id's PR man! He's back! :thumbs:

But no. Developer capabilities != engine capabilities

Devilphish said:

God, Bloodlines is ugly.
and
DrEvil said:
lol yeah i smell a real stinker coming up in vampires. Not just this scshot, the others I've seen aren't much better off either.

Did you even watch those recently released gameplay movies?! If not, do so, and if you still have that opinion, I'll slap you in the face. :naughty:

I really think that Stalker's lighting is looking to be the best of the bunch (after watching the dx9 vid on their website). They have soft shadows and they look great. If Valve can patch that into Source in the future that would be nice.

Back