Custom files not showing up in hammer

efter

Reaction score
OK I'm trying to help out a fellow here, and basically we need to know if using a non-default installation path will affect custom files from showing up in hammer.
He sent me his files, and they showed up in MY hammer just fine. They are custom sounds. I used a default install path for my game.
We tried remote assistance to see if I could determine his problem, and the only thing I saw out of the ordinary was his installation path. Instead of ":\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\username" he had ":\First Person Shooters\Half-Life\Steam\SteamApps\username" otherwise all his files were where they should have been.
Also I sent him one of my custom textures and IT didn't show up in hammer either.
Does anyone know for sure if altering the install path would cause this? And if so, how do we force hammer to look in the proper folder?

The installation path itself could not be at fault. Lots of people use nonstandard names. The problem would come if he moved or renamed the folders, because the Windows registry would still point to old names. The immediate fix for this would be to save the SteamApps folder, but reinstall Steam to the appropriate path.

Possibly, his Hammer mod directory (which is required to locate custom mod content) is also screwed up. The immediate fix for this would be the Reset Game Configurations tool from the Source SDK dialogue box.

thanks dude I think that worked (reset game configurations)

Back