Dark Forces Redux

D

Dust_0ff

A re·dux (rē-dŭks') "Brought back; returned. Used postpositively."

"Behind a veil of secrecy the evil Empire is creating a doomsday army--one that, if finished, will become the final cog in the Empire's arsenal of terror and domination. Your Mission? Join the Rebel Alliance's covert operations division, infiltrate the Empire, then battle every man and machine the Imperial Forces can muster. Search a vast galaxy for clues, attack enemy bases - all in a desperate attempt to stop the activation of this fearsome new weapon."

Ten years ago, one man took on the Empire and saved the Alliance. The original "Dark Forces" by LucasArts was released in 1995 and for that time, was groundbreaking. It was this game that originally introduced us to characters such as Kyle Katarn, and Jan Ors who can now be found in titles such as "Jedi Outcast". Using todays technology, methods, and expertise, this total modification for the "source" engine is aimed at completely overhauling every aspect of the game. We will be essentially telling the same tale in all new ways. For those who remember the original, there will be a chance to immerse yourself in a completely new, yet familiar environment and those who never played, there will be a chance to relive a classic tale, with todays standards and technology. Not only do we know you will be watching, but Justin Chin will be watching to see what new things we can bring to the dark forces world, as well. DFR (Dark Forces Redux) will be both multiplayer and singleplayer, and will add on many things to the original story. Vehicles, new weapons, and more enemies amongst many other "additions."

From the deepest canyon on Danuta to the tallest building in the Imperial City on Coruscant, terror and darkness lurks behind every corner. Will you be able to once again save the Alliance? Or will the armies of darkness prevail, destroying everything you have come to know?

We are currently in need of team members. If you are interested in working in the following areas, either post here or send me an email We do ask that you submit examples of previous work, or any other relative information, that will aid us in our decision. The following are areas in which members are needed most; however if you have a skill not listed, feel free to apply as well.

Mappers- One of the harder areas of work on the mod, not much reference from the original game creates a slight problem. Working with the project director, and concept artists will be crucial. Having a good sense of imagination, as well as prominent mapping skills will help.

Skinners- As a skinner for the team, you are responsible for the normal tasks, nothing differs from any other mod; a fairly easy and straight forward job/task

Coders- Coders will be responsible for making minute changes to the mulitplayer souce code (for multiplayer) as well as the single player code. Creating unique AI for various enemies might also be required.

Player modelers- Using reference materials from the original game, as well as from the movies to create enemies, and allies will be your primary task.

Concept Artist- Working closely with the project director to produce artwork from ideas (concepts) will be your job. Mainly spacescapes, landscapes, and cityscapes. Other team members (mappers) will use your artwork as reference to help them in their job.

I take it that you were granted ip rights eh? :hmph:

btw, it looks cool, but not legal :p

"not much reference from the original game"?

Don't you have it?

Yes, im really glad there are 2 jedi/starwars mods for hl2 coming.

As it is, there is very little reference for most of the weapons, I can put it "we are having a very fun time with the weapons"

You arent looking for any weapon, prop and vehicle modeller & skinner ?
if you are, im interested

You might want to get confirmation from LucasArts first m8, they will have all the right to eather close down your project or even worse, sue.

Be really careful with this stuff, it's a great idea, but you cannot remake a game without their consent. If you already have their consent, then best of luck with the Mod! I loved Dark Forces when I played it on my Mac in 97 :)

Ah, hi Dust-0ff. I worked with you for a short period on The 7th Hour.

I wish you luck, I loved Dark Forces back in the day.

lucasarts is known to be more lenient than other IP right holders as long as the story is preserved aparently...

Yeah, there have been plenty of Star Wars modifications. There was a great one for UT2003 I think.

Ennui said:
Yeah, there have been plenty of Star Wars modifications. There was a great one for UT2003 I think.

Which was that ? ive never heard of any, just for Battlefield 1942 called Galactic Conquest =D

I don't remember what it was called, but it was pretty damn good.

oh man, this reminds me of my first mp game... : p, i use to play Dark Forces II for hours on end...., it was my first online multiplayer game, and also was the first game i started maping for : p

-NonStopableForce

Back