Dark Messiah of Might & Magic Demo Released

mm2kd9.jpg

wtf is that? looks like halo 2 meets oblivion :) is that a fake picture?

I can't believe this thing wasn't just released on Steam.. I've spent more than the last few hours downloading the damned thing, and it just quit at 99.8 percent.

I think I'm going to scream.

I want the Steam demo :(

But since I can't I'll just get it from somehwere else.:D

If the erection lasts for more than an hour, should I consult a physician?

Woah!

If you get the freeze spell, use it on the ground and it becomes like ice and they slip on it.

I decided it would be fun to stand on the end of a post going off the edge, then make the floor towards me into ice. The first guy ran towards me and slipped off the side to his death, the other jumped over the ice and picked me up, then through me off so far I hit the edge of the other cliff on my way down!! How cool is that, great AI. He must of seen the ice so jumped over it.

Mucho ROFL at KaiserPanda's quote! XD

Now, the game.
FREAKING. AWESOME. Best sword combat, ever.
It really captures the feel of violent, engaging combat. And there's so many ways to go around different situations.
The demo was pretty short though. But you can play through it a ton of times, like I did (and still are).
I'm definitely getting this!

Can anyone with a similar computer to mine (see signature) confirm the complete unplayability of the game? The Prologue runs okay, but then... I get 1fps, unless I stare at the ground (when I get up to 10fps).

Seriously, it's time for a new computer :p

But from what I've managed to experience (some areas run pretty fast), the AI is great, the combat is very fun and I'm surely getting this game when it comes out - should have a new rig by then ;)

Question: since the demo did not require Steam, do you think the retail version will also be Steam-free? I'm not saying I hate Steam - I like it, I'm just askin' ;)

PS - one interesting thing... HL2 and Ep1 run fine on my computer. Sin Episodes: Emergence runs like crap - some areas are extremely slow. It's almost the same in Dark Messiah demo... Why Valve can optimize their maps that they run smoothly and others can't? Maybe they cannot stand waiting two days for VIS to finish :D

This game definitely has promise. For me its like Half-life 2 meets Oblivion, but that’s great because those are 2 of my all time favorite games. It seems interesting, and still has a lot of new aspects of gameplay to offer over some other RPG’s, like kicking someone off a cliff. The combat was realistic and I can imagine how it may get pretty intense at times. I will probably be buying this game. As mentioned above though, it seems to be harder on the computer. I have a GeForce 7800 and I can run Half-life 2 will everything maxed, AAx4 and AFx16 and have at least 80 fps. Here I had most things turned down and still just got average frame rates. Oh well, it was still fun.

My comp is 2.8ghz with radeon 9200 and 512 ram, so my comp is worse but game ran smoothly and good fps. had all my settings on the recommended, but put model and textures from high to medium for smoother performance

Can anyone with a similar computer to mine (see signature) confirm the complete unplayability of the game? The Prologue runs okay, but then... I get 1fps, unless I stare at the ground (when I get up to 10fps).

Seriously, it's time for a new computer :p

But from what I've managed to experience (some areas run pretty fast), the AI is great, the combat is very fun and I'm surely getting this game when it comes out - should have a new rig by then ;)

Question: since the demo did not require Steam, do you think the retail version will also be Steam-free? I'm not saying I hate Steam - I like it, I'm just askin' ;)

PS - one interesting thing... HL2 and Ep1 run fine on my computer. Sin Episodes: Emergence runs like crap - some areas are extremely slow. It's almost the same in Dark Messiah demo... Why Valve can optimize their maps that they run smoothly and others can't? Maybe they cannot stand waiting two days for VIS to finish :D

is it just me.. or did that seem like a short demo for 1.38 gigs of hard drive space? I mean, I do have a 500 gig hard drive, but that still seems pretty big for only a two level demo... :rolleyes:

The cyclops sucks, I'm glad they didn't put it in the demo, because it isn't finished or even worth fighting. I tried it by noclipping past but it really isn't worth the effort. The AI/waypoints of it is really bugged.

yea saw that myself, but worth the fight imo

It runs better than oblivion for my comp but its still laggy and the hdr is screwed up because it is not available for me. Its a frekin sweet game though. You can chop off someones head and then kick it around like a soccer ball. I seriously need a better comp though.

If the erection lasts for more than an hour, should I consult a physician?

When you get intimate with your girlfriend, be sure to have those pictures ready if you couldn't keep it up that long before. She'll be pleasantly surprised.

The cyclops sucks, I'm glad they didn't put it in the demo, because it isn't finished or even worth fighting. I tried it by noclipping past but it really isn't worth the effort. The AI/waypoints of it is really bugged.

I bet they just removed all the info_nodes in that part of the map to counter sneaky noclip users. It certainly reacts that way, without waypoints it only chases you for a few seconds and only when you get close enough.

graphical issues: with the one hidden mana potion and with the oil decals
also the 'pick up' sprite around physics objects clips into the ground in an ugly fashion
is that hl2's fire?

gameplay issues: there doesn't seem to be any reason not to block all the time
thrown objects (except for the oil bottles) kill in one hit every time...kinda too easy, and disappointing with the wonderful way the orcs will fall and get back up
oil decals seem to only want to light about 30% of the time, and you can't put the oil onto a living enemy
the archery sucks in general

despite all the whining, I liked it a lot
I'll be buying it

Hmm...installer seems to lock up at "Configuring system for installation something something."

I can't even bring up the task manager with ctrl+alt+del D:

Okay nevermind I was just being impatient heh...

Left it going while I took a shower, came back and it was ready to install! :D

Lol seems like they forgot to remove some irrelevant stuff :p

Right. New computer time. It was playable, but it wasn't enjoyable in some sections because of juddering and stuff. Whereas HL2 runs all on high, this still jerked on mostly low and medium.

But I'm waiting for DX10 cards. I think...

Oh, and Archery was dissapointing.

Right. New computer time. It was playable, but it wasn't enjoyable in some sections because of juddering and stuff. Whereas HL2 runs all on high, this still jerked on mostly low and medium.

But I'm waiting for DX10 cards. I think...

Oh, and Archery was dissapointing.

Archery was dissapointing? What are you on? Evidently you have not discovered the fire arrow. And headshots.

Archery was dissapointing? What are you on? Evidently you have not discovered the fire arrow. And headshots.

I struggled with headshots because of a poor framerate. And I wasn't sure how to do fire arrows.

Back