Darwinia. Steam. Orgasm.

TwwIX said:
I like my games to [...] actually have non blocky graphics.That game doesn't contain [this].
Don't you think that maybe Introversion made Darwinia's graphics "pixellated" and "blocky" for a reason? There's more to visuals than realism.

It's akin to the graphics of World of Warcraft. On a technical level, the graphics are pretty low-bar, but on an artistic level... Beautiful.

At least try it out.

I must admit I brushed over this game completely, guess I'm one of the generic shooter gamers now :(
I just tried the demo and it was quite enjoyable, the graphics look nice all the light effects and such. I may end up getting this for that price since that seems very reasonable.

Stigmata said:
At least try it out.

If he doesn't like the idea/look of the game so what? Are you losing out?

I'm not gonna buy this and I'm probably not gonna download the demo either, because I'm not sure I'll be interested in it.

Do I feel like I'm missing out on something? Not really.
Do I want you tell me I've 'made a mistake' and that I should 'at least try it out'? No.

If you think the game's that damn impressive stop saying how good it is and go play on it.

TwwIX said:
I like my games to be simple,fun,have a engaging storyline and actually have non blocky graphics.That game doesn't contain neither one of these factors.

Wrong on all counts there. Darwinia is simple and elegant yet deep. Darwinia is incredibly fun. Darwinia has a surprisingly involving storyline. Darwinia has blocky pixel effects...which can be turned off if you don't like them since they're only there to look cool. So if that's what you like from a game maybe you should try the demo. :p I think everybody who has played this game does want to try and persuade others to do so, just because it's so cool. People should try it out because they might end up liking it. What have you got to lose by downloading a small demo and playing for 5 minutes? Are you too busy?

Also: anyone know how to get the gesture recognition system back? After installing the latest patch and finally getting it to work, I noticed they'd taken out the mouse-moving unit-ordering (apparently because people just wanted to click a menu. Pah! :p).

dogboy73 said:
In any case it looks awesome. very nice look & extremely refreshing. We need more games that do things differently like this. It reminds me of when I first got into home computer & video games when I was a kid. I got my first home computer (A Commodore 64) when I was 11 & some of the first games I got were from Jeff minter's Llamasoft. This game looks like something he would have come up with. I'm very excited about this.

I bought it back in March (I've still got the GREEEEEEEEEEEEN box sat on my desk!) and hugely enjoyed it.

There's one aspect of the game's presentation which will probably sweep right over the heads of most of today's gamers - the bootloaders! When starting the game, instead of a dull, boring logo or intro-movie, it launches straight into fan-service mode and displays a randomly selected ... thing. Ever wanted to see a top-of-the-range PC impersonating a Sinclair Spectrum, complete with tape-loading noises? Or a thunderous Atari ST chip-tune accompanied by a real-time raytracer? (I wish my ST could have done that...) Or, changing gear, a disturbingly altered version of Conway's Game of Life, with built-in obsolescence...

I think it's great that they're pushing games that not everyone likes. The game industry is stagnating from focus group lowest common denominator mega-productions. Indie games don't appeal to everyone, but still deserve an outlet for distribution.

you know whats fun? grow cube, I could play that for hours, its a flash game, and theres no cool graphics, but i played it for hours. I wouldn't pay for it though.

Katamari whatever is suppose to be awsome, craptastic graphics , but who cares, its fun, now I may buy that, cause i have heard its fun, and the game made a mark. Will wait till its bargain though

This game I have never heard of till now, not from any other gamers, not on teh tech tv game shows, not till it made it to steam. I may get the demo, it may be cool, but I can't buy anything on steam with a 56k, even after 3 days of downloading, updating still sucks. So i'll d-load the demo at work, and play it when i get time. I hope these people offer internet sales off their own website, in download packages. I know lotsa sources of broadband to get my games from, just can't do it from my own house yet.

Anyways, just cause a game is fun doesn't mean its worth buying. Someone like me who buys 5 games a year MAX due to time and money, needs alot more to go on besides fun. RE4 is fun, but most fun games i haven't beat 4 times. Thats a game that has staying power, and COOLNESS. yup coolness matters, blasting people in the head is cool. launching mine darts into people and waiting till they walk by others to blow them all up is really cool.

If this is a cool game, I woulda heard about it before now

still looks neat though

All seeing?

polyguns said:
If this is a cool game, I woulda heard about it before now
still looks neat though
Considering that this game has been developed and sold in Europe might just account for you not hearing about it, ever think of that?:p
BrainM

nutcrackr said:
I must admit I brushed over this game completely, guess I'm one of the generic shooter gamers now :(
It's just because Introversion are underground developers; they don't need fancy advertising, they don't need a site with loads of "free" goodies if you play their demo... They simply rely on good old word of mouth.

Ever heard of Uplink?
http://www.uplink.co.uk/
You'll never get an adrenalin kick from a bleeping noise like this game does ever again.

TwwIX said:
plz,if there's anything i despise even more then it's CS.
Why does everybody think if you don't like games with "innovative" ideas such as this that you're automatically a CS fan boy?
I like my games to be simple,fun,have a engaging storyline and actually have non blocky graphics.That game doesn't contain neither one of these factors.
Now,if this was something as revolutionary as the upcoming "Spore" title,i'd be a lot more optimistic about.

I wonder how old you are... not because of your attitude or to insult you, but because you seem to have missed the days of the good old innovative, blocky, engaging games. You obviously never played Space Invaders hours and hours...

Geronimous said:
I wonder how old you are... not because of your attitude or to insult you, but because you seem to have missed the days of the good old innovative, blocky, engaging games. You obviously never played Space Invaders hours and hours...
QFT lol :p

I wonder if he ever played DooM or Dune 2...

efuxer69 said:
Considering that this game has been developed and sold in Europe might just account for you not hearing about it, ever think of that?:p
BrainM

not really, cause my friends in reallife don't play games, its only my friends on the net in this community that do, and there are probably about 10 die hard gamers from the uk on my msn right now, never once heard of the game before

I am SOOOOO happy that this game has made it onto steam!! I've had this game for a while now and it's very sad that it hasn't enjoyed more commercial success. I don't care what you "kids" out there say. The X-box generation has no appreciation for quality games like this since they can't see past their pretty graphics and marketing slogans.

Buy this game. Support independant game developers. You will not be disapointed.

so is this game like an RTS? (it wont let me download the demo)

No, it's like nothing. Don't think of it in terms of genres.

Varsity said:
No, it's like nothing. Don't think of it in terms of genres.
Indeed.
the site of pwnage said:
The world of Darwinia is a virtual themepark, running inside a computer network built by a computer genius named Dr Sepulveda. Darwinia is populated by a sentient evolving life form called the Darwinians. They are the product of a decades worth of research into genetic algorithms.
It's made from tidbits of old games :D

Demo goodness!

:cheers: just finished the demo and gotta say it was pretty darn fun. I can see once the game starts to develope how it will get more interesting. It's pretty obvious that some people will not like it, they will get caught up in the lack of cutting edge graphics, but for everyone with an imagination it looks to be a blast!
BrainM:cheers:

Beerdude26 said:
QFT lol :p

I wonder if he ever played DooM or Dune 2...

Anyone here play the original monkey island? Crap graphics by todays standards (DOS required) but this too is one of those Original Games that would still be fun since the story and gameplay was awesome. When I meet a fellow gamer and they mention they played MI, I hold them In high esteem ('till they start speaking 1337 anyway).

I shall play the Darwinia demo, and If I like it enough I shall buy it.

where did everyone get the demo from? I cant download it from the site.

looks cool ill give it a try when it comes out on steam

uplink looks cool as well too bad that isnt going to be on steam

Sulkdodds said:
[Darwinia is] the best sci-fi retro arcade-puzzle action-RTS ever made, I tell you.
Maybe that's because it's the only sci-fi retro arcade-puzzle action-RTS ever made.

What about Evolva and Hostile Waters, eh? Battlezone too, some might say.

Sulkdodds said:
What about Evolva and Hostile Waters, eh? Battlezone too, some might say.
Evolva was hard :|

And Battlezone was pwnage :p

Damn right Evolva was hard! It stripped you down like an M-16! Certainly too hard for me. I was all young and stuff when it first came out. :D

Sulkdodds said:
Damn right Evolva was hard! It stripped you down like an M-16! Certainly too hard for me. I was all young and stuff when it first came out. :D
I remember reading an article that was bragging about the incredible rendering power of the GeForce 2 and how it was visible in Evolva :D

Read the Darwinia Press if you can't be assed downloading the demo on HL2.net heresay.

I haven't played it but I've read extensive reviews of it. I assumed that it had been released worldwide and not just in the UK and I'd also assumed it had been in the top 10 when it was released (I first heard about it when reading through old issues of PC Gamer when I returned from my year abroad).

Many of us may call themselves hardcore gamers, but few (myself included) have played the vast majority of pixel pure classics that came before our time. One of the reasons I'd buy Darwinia is to play a game that harks back to these classics in spirit while offering a completely unique experience. A lot of the time it's difficult to know where to pick up the old classics. Abandonware sites with emulators so you can play them on XP and the like can help, but there's so little discussion of really old games that it's difficult to know where to begin. I'd say that Darwinia probably offers a very nice comprimise: a totally new game built and styled on the landmark titles of yesteryear, all in an up-to-date engine.

To all the nay-sayers, all I'd ask is that you try the demo, or at least read up (via that link above) on what you're missing. At least then you'll be making a reasoned decision. For those who have the attitude "I'm not gonna do it just 'cause everyone's doing it", that's just as bad as "I'm gonna do it because everyone's doing it". Make your own mind up based on a wide range of opinion, that's what I've done, and I suspect -like me- you'll eventually come to know and love Darwinia.

Beerdude26 said:
It's just because Introversion are underground developers; they don't need fancy advertising, they don't need a site with loads of "free" goodies if you play their demo... They simply rely on good old word of mouth.

Ever heard of Uplink?
http://www.uplink.co.uk/
You'll never get an adrenalin kick from a bleeping noise like this game does ever again.
Yeah I heard about it through word of mouth but I'll be honest it's not my type of game, played it for a bit and never been back. Can't please everybody though.

Hm, demo will be available on Steam, says on Darwinia's homepage...

Anyway, though it's very good that VALVe carries the banner of indie game dev's I hope it doesn't eventually turn into another publisher like EA. If these games became great success they wouldn't be indie games anymore, right?

This game is too effing hard. The full campaign is very unforgiving, and maybe i'm just a noob, but only a few levels in it seems an insane level of micromanagement is involved that just becomes too annoying to put up with. Great game, but best in small doses. Frustration will quickly mount in the later levels if you're not extremely careful and/or don't know exactly what you should be doing.

I heard about this in CGW and thought about buying it, but now that it's Steam, I'll almost for sure get it. I hope Valve/Steam get some more of these independant type games on Steam, because I usually can't be arsed to go out and find the damn things myself, and little independant things like these are one of the few places you can find something actually innovative.

I played the demo and most likely will buy it, now if it only had multiplayer.

I have tried the demo and will be buying it for sure. I would advise anyone to at least try the demo, you have nothing to loose from that.

Back