Day of Defeat: Source to be Released as Stand-Alone

Chris D

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Valve's Head of Support, Doug Valente (not to be confused with the Marketing Director, Doug Lombardi) has today released a statement on the Steam forums stating that DOD: Source will be sold as a stand-alone product, without needing to re-purchase or even purchase Half-Life 2 at all:
You will be able to purchase DoD:Source through Steam without purchasing a new copy of HL2. Release date and pricing have not been set yet.[br]
[br]
Happy Holidays[br]
[br]
DougV
This is great news for everyone out there who is a fan of the original. For those of you unaware, the reason why the retail versions of Half-Life 2 haven't shipped DoD:S is due to the fact that the publishing rights for Day of Defeat are held by Activision and not Vivendi Universal Games.[br]
[br]
At this time there is no ETA on Day of Defeat: Source but you'll see the updates here as soon as they're available. For now, you can find Doug's original post in this thread.

This is awesome havent gotten big news like this since HL2 release!!

hehe, fools who bought bronze/retail they are gona have to fork out another 20-40squid now

so do we have to pay for it or jus download it?

if you bought bronze/retail your gona have to buy seperate

if you bought silver+ then its download since you already payed for it

Ava3ar said:
hehe, fools who bought bronze/retail they are gona have to fork out another 20-40squid now

well, the people who bought silver/gold have already paid for it! it's not gonna cost more!

Ava3ar are you certain about that? I thought that since it's being labelled a stand alone product that we'd all have to pay for it. (I'll be thrilled if I can still download it for free, that just isn't the way it sounded to me.)

So the pricing is going to be up to Activision we'd assume? Thus I predict it maybe $20.

Noodlygod said:
Ava3ar are you certain about that? I thought that since it's being labelled a stand alone product that we'd all have to pay for it. (I'll be thrilled if I can still download it for free, that just isn't the way it sounded to me.)

When you bought Silver or Gold, didn't you read that DoD:S came with both packages?

In short, if you bought Bronze, you must pay extra for DoD:S. If you bought Silver/Gold, you already have pruchased it, and will be able to play it once it is release through Steam.

Anyone who has bought a Half-Life 2 pacakge through Steam (Silver and Gold only), have already purchased Day of Defeat: Source and as such will automatically receive it upon its release.

The pricing for the retail product will be decided by Valve and Activision and the pricing for the Steam version of the stand-alone will be decided by Valve.

ahhh, yeah I read that when I bought HL2 I just thought they'd changed their minds. Thanks!

GonzoBabbleshit said:
there'd be a lot of really pissed people if they charged em again! :D
People could sue them for false advertising if that happened. They'd have a pretty good case too, but they wouldn't do that anyway.

Chris_D said:
People could sue them for false advertising if that happened. They'd have a pretty good case too, but they wouldn't do that anyway.

well, yeah. that was my point, in a half-arsed kinda way :S

Very cool. Even tho im not a big fan of dod. Ill be mroe then happy to try out dod source.

I bought bronze thinking I could upgrade to silver later. However it says it's not available right now, any idea when it will be? I didn't think HL:S was worth paying for but if dod is good(new gameplay new models fully remade maps etc, not a simple port) I'd like to upgrade :)

Chris_D said:
Anyone who has bought a Half-Life 2 pacakge through Steam (Silver and Gold only), have already purchased Day of Defeat: Source and as such will automatically receive it upon its release.

Good good. So long as that remains the case I'm happy.

I think thats cheap sh'it, they expect us to fork over 20-30 bucks U.S. for this crap add-on game that dod I consider to be. It's size might be 400-600 mb in size. Who knows I think buying HL2 while withstanding its weak story, it overall didn't live up to its hype in alot of aspects and costed $50 U.S. Now they stick us for another 30 for DoD, we waited 5 years for HL2. But with all respect we were patient for its release, and we sure don't need wait for Valve to hit us up with for nothing more then mod releases now in source code.

lord finesse said:
I think thats cheap sh'it, they expect us to fork over 20-30 bucks U.S. for this crap add-on game that dod I consider to be. It's size might be 400-600 mb in size. Who knows I think buying HL2 while withstanding its weak story, it overall didn't live up to its hype in alot of aspects and costed $50 U.S. Now they stick us for another 30 for DoD, we waited 5 years for HL2. But with all respect we were patient for its release, and we sure don't need wait for Valve to hit us up with for nothing more then mod releases now in source code.

Worth my money, $50 for 40+ mods.

yea, the mods are the cool thing. if dod s is like hl s or cs s, screw getting it. cs s wasn't even an mp mode to me, and it really made me concerded about the graphics of hl2, thank god hl2 looked alot better, and dm is alot better then css .
i could care less about dod s, never cared about dod, there will be some cool free mods out there (as long as valve doesn't take them completly over, all mod leaders should read the eula to make sure) that surly will blow cs s and dod out of the water. the talent and capability nowadays is so much more then when those older mods came out.

Chris_D said:

The pricing for the retail product will be decided by Valve and Activision and the pricing for the Steam version of the stand-alone will be decided by Valve.

hmm...i don't suppose u know...but say one buys the retail CE, then does that person get a retail copy of DoD:Source? or is it a Steam download?

buying retail, i would think its only fair that the person is entitled to a retail copy of DoD:Source and not a Steam download.

Activision holds the rights to DOD, so if you got a collectors edition tough luck.

Ok I just sign'd up for this forum to post this - DoD - CS - and all other mod's is what kept HL alive - Now in Hl2 i cant possibly understand how they figure they are going to sell DOD-S it should be just as free as ever other MOD - so very franctly i believe that it is not fair for valve or who ever to try to make us pay for a free game - just as they released cs - dod - and other mods as single standalones with Regualar HL - and at that time i felt sorry for the poor losers who payd for a game that is completely free - so all in all wtf i detest greed and valve has just become that!

Let the SexyPoulet be heard!

SexyPoulet said:
Ok I just sign'd up for this forum to post this - DoD - CS - and all other mod's is what kept HL alive - Now in Hl2 i cant possibly understand how they figure they are going to sell DOD-S it should be just as free as ever other MOD - so very franctly i believe that it is not fair for valve or who ever to try to make us pay for a free game - just as they released cs - dod - and other mods as single standalones with Regualar HL - and at that time i felt sorry for the poor losers who payd for a game that is completely free - so all in all wtf i detest greed and valve has just become that!

Let the SexyPoulet be heard!

Don't panic, the easy modablity of the source engine means there will be a great deal of free, quality mods.

Dod and CS are still free. Dod:S and CSS aren't free. The developers are now on Valve's paycheck. Working for them. They made these mods in their sparetime, and it was a hell of a lot of work for them. Now they get paid to to this, and to get paid, they need to work, ie create dod:s.

MaxiKana said:
Dod and CS are still free. Dod:S and CSS aren't free. The developers are now on Valve's paycheck. Working for them. They made these mods in their sparetime, and it was a hell of a lot of work for them. Now they get paid to to this, and to get paid, they need to work, ie create dod:s.

Eeeaah don't try to use logic on me you evil spirit! Begone!!! All games must be free downloads!

theGreenBunny said:
All games must be free downloads!

You must be one of those who hasn't entered the real world yet. Do you think developers who make mods like CS and DoD are going to keep making great mods just for fame? Do you think they are going to "suffer for their art"? I say NO! They want to get paid for their work just like anyone else.

I bought the Silver package through steam specifically because I get DoD:S for only $10! What deal considering all the quality entertainment I got out of the free original.

Having said that, I do expect the maps to be spruced up a bit, like Dust on CS:S and especially Prodigy. The only cool thing with Italy was the shootable fruit in the market and the tree, other than that, it looked almost exactly the same.

This is a bit off topic, but indulge me for a moment. My fantasy for the future of game play would be a map where everything reacts to your action. For example, if you fire a bazooka into a brick wall 10 times, the wall eventually crumbles. Any wall, any where, any time, not a wall that has been scripted to break apart. That would totaly change the dynamic in a multiplayer game. You could destroy the typical sniper nest just to have a new one created by the ruble. Oooh I'm salavating.

Anyway, if you think it's cheap for Valve to be capitalistic, think about all the future developers out there that are motivated by the thought of having their mod bought by Valve or some other big company. There are going to be many more great, free mods for us to enjoy thanks to the way Valve does business. And all for $50 bucks. I bought the original HL in 1998 for $20 and have enjoyed playing the death match mode, and then the mods, almost every week, from then until the release of HL2. That's the best entertainment value available. Six years of great gameplay for 20 bucks!

I'll get off my soap box now.

Wurum said:
You must be one of those who hasn't entered the real world yet. Do you think developers who make mods like CS and DoD are going to keep making great mods just for fame? Do you think they are going to "suffer for their art"? I say NO! They want to get paid for their work just like anyone else.

Wurum, I think there's the slight possibility that TheGreenBunny was just joking. Don't hold me to that though :p

KagePrototype said:
Wurum, I think there's the slight possibility that TheGreenBunny was just joking. Don't hold me to that though :p

You may be right, but my post still addresses a general theme that has come up in this thread that Valve is trying to take advantage of the DoD fan base by making it pay for DoD:S. I say the principle of supply and demad rules. If you can get people to pay for the game, then charge them for it.

I got Half-Life 2 for steam, and i dont have DOD. I bout it but but i dont have DOD, i only have Counter-Strike source and Half-Life 2, can u guys help me and see if i can get DOD?

ok so what if i bought the collectors edition? from the store?

i payed more than normal price i can't remember, but i got DVD version and a t-shirt. and some book, half life:source and some other thing

so would i have to pay for dod:s?

-NonStopableForce

dynamicx said:
I bought bronze thinking I could upgrade to silver later. However it says it's not available right now, any idea when it will be? I didn't think HL:S was worth paying for but if dod is good(new gameplay new models fully remade maps etc, not a simple port) I'd like to upgrade :)

What I realize I actually should have done was make a new account, and buy Silver/Gold on that account, so then I'd have two: one with all of Valve's games, and one with all of the games I had bought previously (which included CZ, so it was kind of a waste to get Silver other than HL:S and DOD:S on an account I already had).

Simply put: if you really think Valve is going to spend thousands of dollars in manhours into creating a game and then be angry for not doing it for free and calling them greedy then you're a greedy ungreatful dumbass who should be shot in the face ASAP. :thumbs:

Back