Death

Wesisapie

Reaction score
Remember the slightly cheesy way you died in HL1? screen just goes horizontal, beep beep beeeeeep of your suit, the end?

Do you think they could just ritzed that up a bit, and if so, how do you think they should have?

I think they should have your HEART BEING RIPPED OUT AND EATEN BY THE ZOMBIE THAT KILLS YOU or have BLOOD GUSHING OUT OF YOUR MOUTH AND EYEBALLS AS YOU SCREAM IN PAIN AND CLAW AT THE GROUND WHERE YOU FALL.

In second thought, I think the simple fall+die works just fine.

Well, something they had in Half-Life and also in Jedi Knight was enemies that gloated over you after they killed you, so that was kind of fun. They could do something like Goldeneye, where blood runs down the screen. :devil:

It would be cool to give the player ragdoll physics for death. I want to get hit with a grenade and fly across the street. :b

They could make your vision get all blurry, and "eyelids" would close in from the top and bottom of the screen as the life drained out of you. Then, you see a light...

How can there be ragdoll physics when you're pretty much just a floating head?

i think feedback from getting hit / blown up by a grenade would be a great addition.

And maybe also more feedback when your on low health, like lower sensitivity, making it harder to aim, and reminding you of your low health

maybe when you die you just game a GAME OVER SCREEN

similar to the mgs2 one

[GORDON DIES]
[MGS2 DEATH MUSIC PLAYS]
[GORDON FALLS TO THE GROUND]
[GORDON SAYS: HA HA HA HA]
[SOUND OF A BULLET HITTING THE FLOOR AND BOUNCING 3 TIMES]
[OTACON: GORDON COME IN GORDON!!!]
]OTACON: GORDON COME IN!!!!!!]
[MUSIC ENDS]
[EXIT] [CONTINUE]

I've never actually heard a grenade go off but maybe it could make a ringing noise like your ears are ringing when one goes off nearby. They had an ear ringing part in Opposing Force where at first I wasn't sure if it was me or the game. On the other hand, this feature could be really annoying. :LOL:

I know that annoying ring in SOLDAT when a fricken nade goes off close by ;)

That would be cool

If you guyz played Americas Army game then you should know that they have the most realistic grenades. Its like in real life, you throw a flashbang grenade and the screen goes white and you hear this annoying sound and then it fades away (very realistic).

As for when you die in HL 2 ithink you should just fall and then like trigger happy said " screen gets all blurry, and "eyelids" would close in from the top and bottom of the screen as the life drained out of you. Then, you see a light..." and then it goes back to the menu screen.

havent they tried to do something similar for cs:condition zero on the xbox?

would boost up the realism a bit, seen as not much has been done to the sound side of the game

"And maybe also more feedback when your on low health, like lower sensitivity, making it harder to aim, and reminding you of your low health"

thats bad, people dont want realism in hl2, save it for ghost recon

hmm, i suppose it wont satisfy the 'average' gamer

but for me, that would make the gaming experience more intense and improve gameplay withought feeling too real. would be nice for a mod tho

Originally posted by BWMASTER
If you guyz played Americas Army game then you should know that they have the most realistic grenades. Its like in real life, you throw a flashbang grenade and the screen goes white and you hear this annoying sound and then it fades away (very realistic).

As for when you die in HL 2 ithink you should just fall and then like trigger happy said " screen gets all blurry, and "eyelids" would close in from the top and bottom of the screen as the life drained out of you. Then, you see a light..." and then it goes back to the menu screen.

vietcong has nice grenades, depending on where they go off and how close you are you hear ringing, i mean if it doesnt kill you...heh

I think I like TriggerHappy's idea the best for a slow death (you wouldn't even have to make his "eye lids" close, just a blur/fade should work), but if you get shot in the head or other "fast" deaths the screen could just go blank and as suggested by TriggerHappy you can "see the light" (lol or the G-Man jk). Maybe for a falling death you could see images of you're life (like the from HL1 and as far as you played up to in single player HL2) flash before you as you fall then when you hit you see a blank screen and again "the light" (good Idea TriggerHappy), I doubt the falling death would work though.

I wonder if you died in the water and it showed you looking from the face, it should move up/down side to side because of the water moving.

I think we're expecting a little much from something we definately won't pay attention to, unless we suck so horribly, we see it more than we play.

Do what goldeneye did in singleplayer. Show a movie in slowmotion of like, the last couple seconds up to yer death, from diff camera angles, so if we get clawed to death, it goes third person we see the last few seconds of his life in slo mo... But that doesn't go with valves ONLY THRU GORDANS EYES style of gameplay, so it'll never happen lol.

I quite like the idea of fading away. You should drop to the floor looking horizontal like the old one and the screen should get darker/brighter slowly and then fade to black or white etc.
Would also be cool if enemies did certain things while you were dead, like combine troops would come over and make sure you weren't still alive etc.
The old method wasn't bad tho.
:cheers:
Cheers!

You fall over (not able to walk, except looking around). The you'll se the zombie (or whatever creature killed you) coming closer, the screen starts to blur and finally its all "blurry". Then the load last saved game screen comes up. or something like that... =)

edit: maybe thats what Demon-Dragon said... ;)

I think that if the death "animation" is too long people will just press the esc.. so I think that they have made something good looking but short like in HL1. :flame:

Originally posted by BWMASTER

Something like raven shield?

Raven shield did it slightly differently. Once you get flashbanged, you will get an image of what you last seen, burned and blended into what you are currently seeing. Obviously accompanied with that buzzing/ringing and annoying sound, really cool effect.

Maybe they can do something like that for the death in HL2. :D

I think it should be like CS, cam switches to 3rd person and you watch yourself die/fall whatever, would be da anthrax with a grenade.

Back