Decadence Mod Announced

Munro

ValveTime Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Decadence, a new Half-Life 2 total conversion currently in development by students from the University of Skövde has been announced
today. [br]
Decadence is a story-driven multiplayer modification based on Valve Software's
Source Engine that combines the personal relationship to characters and surroundings
of single-player games with an adrenaline filled multiplayer experience. Decadence
pits two teams against each other in a fight over territorial control. Each map
is designed in stages to offer a more compact and action filled gameplay that
puts focus on teamwork and strategy.[br]
[br]
Decadence is multiplayer with personality, where you play as one of four different
characters. The character you pick is specifically for you and will give you certain
weapons and other advantages, and you need to use every single one of them together
in combination with your teammate to succeed. The environment will also be key
to survival, providing cover from enemy fire as you advance towards their flag.
Staying close to your teammate is vital in Decadence. They are able to help you
in many ways, not only as an extra hand in combat, but they can also revive you
if you get shot down. [br]
[br]
The story of Decadence takes you far into the future, to a world where governments
are scarce and survival is all that matters. Various attempts to grow food have
lead to poisonous chemicals flowing through bodies of water, and plants growing
in ways never thought to be possible. Promising a heavily atmospheric world and
an interesting twist on team-driven gameplay, Decadence is a unique multiplayer
experience that the most casual online gamers and most hardcore FPS gamers can
enjoy together.

newsspacer.gif
newsspacer.gif
[br]
newsspacer2.gif
[br]
newsspacer.gif
[br]They have some new screenshots and concept art available in their
media page which they have
been working on the past month. One interesting note I found in their about page
was there would be no HUD.
Decadence will not feature a large HUD with information; you will instead be able
to read out all the information from the game world itself. Everything from ammunition,
damage and sights will be seen as if they would be in the world, not on an overlay
over your eyes.
You can find out more about the mod here.

Nice contrasting trees. :D The artwork is awesome.

Those trees are fugly. :|

Great stuff. Majestic 12 is a part of this :)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HddWi71qCE[/YOUTUBE]

A time-lapse video of the last three days of development. The lightning and all that isn't quite final yet, there are a couple of minor issues left. We had a deadline after all :p

Plant Apocalypse? That's fairly original...better than the usual zombie infestation, alien invasion, or nuclear war.

EDIT: LOL at "You don't deserve to wear that uniform" while guy is dancing with paper bag over head.

Wow. The graphical direction is fantastic... especially the contrast between the trees and the city :eek:

Sounds great, but I can't see shit in the in-game screenshots.

So when's the release? There's some talk about a counter on the page, in the news posts, but I can't see it oO

I would love to say it sounds fun but that press release really downt tell us much except that "its awesome and adrenaline shiznitz" - the story sounds nice, but for a MP game that lack of information is shabby at best.

Whats your hook? Why am I going to play this over TF2 or Halo3? I know, harsh comparisons but i don't have dedicated 'mod time' - i just want to play a fun game.

Whats your hook? Why am I going to play this over TF2 or Halo3? I know, harsh comparisons but i don't have dedicated 'mod time' - i just want to play a fun game.

Check the about section. Decadence is based around the idea of capturing flags and territorial points and plays two teams with two players each. It does have a class system to come up with some varied and interesting pairs, and relies pretty heavily on teamwork and tactics.

I've been playing a lot of TF2 lately, and I'm pretty confident that Decadence won't have a problem getting its own crowd.

Well if the combat is tight the 2v2 DM and CS players will certainly be appeased.

Back