Defense of the Ancients Developer Joins Valve

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
The developer behind popular Warcraft 3 mod Defense of the Ancients: Allstars has announced today that he joined Valve and is currently leading a team to do some very exciting stuff that DotA fans will love.

I finally have all the resources needed to do some very exciting stuff that you guys will love. I look forward to revealing more specific details when the time is right. As I've said many times in the past and especially after today's developments, I am very excited about DotA's future!

For more info about DotA, click here.

Nice! The number of companies joining valve is rising!

It is one man, not a company. Valve employees have often refered to playing DotA, I guess they got talking, and figured they could help each other out. Should be interesting if the project becomes Valves first game that isnt First Person.

Now the Steam Forums CAN GET EVEN MORE RETARDED.

Joined Valve as in was hired? Or is using Source? Where did this news come from?

Joined Valve as in was hired? Or is using Source? Where did this news come from?
Comes directly from Icefrog's site. He said he's leading a team at Valve and that he has "more resources," but no other info was given as to what this means or what he's working on.

Valve MMO coming.

...that he joined Valve and is currently leading a team to do some very exciting stuff...
Hired and leading a team. I added the direct link to his announcement in the news post for clarity.

If the plan is to develop a full DotA game, wont they be doing the same thing as S2 Games is doing with Heroes of Newerth - only using an original developer? I don't know much about DotA myself, but I've been playing around with the HoN beta..
Anyone who knows if there are any rights from DotA transfered to Valve in this, and if this could lead to a clash with HoN?

Should be interesting if the project becomes Valves first game that isnt First Person.

They've sponsored Codename Gordon before, though that was hardly very serious (not a particularly good game either).

MFL said:
Now the Steam Forums CAN GET EVEN MORE RETARDED.

Impossible.

oh i smell an rpg game from valve.

This is most likely the new IP i heard them talk about in an interview way back.

Anyone get confirmation from Valve on this, or is Icefrog the only source?

Edit: Also, I'm really hoping he's not there to work on another DotA clone. There are already 3 that I'm aware of; Heroes of Newerth, League of Legends, and Demigod.

I doubt very much whether they hired this guy simply to complete a Mod. Clearly they've brought him in for something beyond that (diversification would make sense), though I find it somewhat amusing that he declares he has his own team. I'm not too sure Valve think of ownership in quite that manner. He might be part of a team, but whether he's leading it is another matter entirely.

This is interesting. I heard a rumour that IceFrog is a bit of a recluse and had been offered a job at Blizzard but refused to take it. Hmm...

Damn, I never should have quit trying to recreate DotA style gameplay in Source (with more FPS and less RPG)...

New TF2 gamemode with swarms of AI mooks.

Edit: Also, I'm really hoping he's not there to work on another DotA clone. There are already 3 that I'm aware of; Heroes of Newerth, League of Legends, and Demigod.

this. there's neither need nor room for another game in this genre.

this. there's neither need nor room for another game in this genre.

Given that he turned down SC2 as a platform because he didn't think it provided enough to improve on DoTA, he will probably be working on a game that is significantly expanded upon the DoTA concepts, but perhaps with entirely different gameplay.

Which is good, imo :p

Back