Delay good for GeForce users?

arial

Spy
Reaction score
Well since the game won't be coming out tell April 2004 won't this give Valve time to get HL2 to work good with nVidia cards? I have a GeForce FX 5200 and I bought just for Half-Life 2 alone and a few days after I got it they released the benchmarks. I hope Valve fixes this issue with HL2 since alot of HL junkies like myself use nVidia cards and now ATI cards just my 2 cents.

For starters, the delay is completely unconfirmed. And, as a geforce user, I'd rather that the code wasn't stolen and that the game comes out on time than get a better framerate. Also, I highly doubt that delaying the game will improve performance that much for nvidia cards (if at all, which seems unlikely).

Its more about nVidia having time to make a better dx9 card. I dont think the code can be improved much to make better performance for the current geforce cards.

Yeah but if it does become official wouldn't you like to be able to play the game smoothly instead of it lagging like a bitch every 2 seconds?

yah, i currently have a g4 ti 4600 and while im not concerned about being unable to run it, any length of time will help for development

If there is a delay chances are it will be spent rewriting the source code and pursuing legal action, not making optimizations. Besides, even though I have a GF4 Ti4200 I would rather them release it now and just patch it.

I really hope they get Half-Life 2 to work with the Geforce FX series of Nvidia cards. I think they will because Valve (Hopefully) knows that a lot of their customers use Nvidia cards. Heck eveyone I know has an Nvidia card. If they do not fix the problems then they will lose a lot of customers including me. After all would you still buy Half-Life 2 if you knew it ran like crap on your card. I also have a Geforce FX 5200. Runs every new game I've tried. Examples:

Chaser
Halo
Chrome
Unreal 2
Unreal Tournament 2003
Morrowind

Im going to purchase 9600 XT from ATI but Ive always went with Gforce..so im sure I will purchase theres once they come out with one

ecko!

Well, I don't think that's what they're going to spend their time on. And it's not up to them, either. It's up to NVidia. But I'm not sure how much further they can improve their performance using drivers.

to thread title:

of course it is! however it is selfish for us to think that we want it to be delayed till we can afford our own 96-9800's

i own a 4200 64 meg

I have the 256 GeForce FX, it sounds like a vaccuum cleaner, I regret the purchase.

Originally posted by penguinPHP
I have the 256 GeForce FX, it sounds like a vaccuum cleaner, I regret the purchase.

Must be the 5800. The 5900 doesn't have that problem.

And to all those talking about how much the GeForces suck, have you seen Anandtech's latest benchmarks using the Det 50.14 drivers?

Huge improvements. Not quite ATi level, but we're talking about 65% performance increase in Halo alone.

At what price? Using 'shortcuts' that lower image quality, etc, etc...

Originally posted by alco
At what price? Using 'shortcuts' that lower image quality, etc, etc...

Incorrect. Read the article. There is little to no IQ loss in this version. The ones with major IQ loss were beta drivers. Nvidia has completely worked over its shader compilers, to surprisingly impressive results. Now the 5900 ultra beats the 9800XT in many comparisons.

Mind you, ATi still wins a lot of the time, but the gap is much smaller and non-existent in some cases.

Here's the article

Originally posted by Salmonax
Incorrect. Read the article. There is little to no IQ loss in this version. The ones with major IQ loss were beta drivers. Nvidia has completely worked over its shader compilers, to surprisingly impressive results. Now the 5900 ultra beats the 9800XT in many comparisons.

Mind you, ATi still wins a lot of the time, but the gap is much smaller and non-existent in some cases.

Here's the article

i see the usaul differance of ATIs AA looking alot better than nvidias....but other than that.......looks like some awsome drivers

Originally posted by crabcakes66
i see the usaul differance of ATIs AA looking alot better than nvidias....but other than that.......looks like some awsome drivers

I got it before the benchmarks it plays every game great but sucks that it will be a lagfest with HL2 when ever it comes out.

i got mine a while ago also. its like a 747 on take off which is most annoying but it plays every game no worries. so its a bit of a worry that hl2 is gonna play crap. if other games run fine then its down to programing surley.

Originally posted by Salmonax

Here's the article
WOW! Those benchmarks look promising. That's quite a speed difference between the 45.XX and the 52.XX drivers. I hope NVidia will release those new drivers soon.

what an uninformed statement.

A delay is good for no one.
however valve arent finished.
when its done you will have it.

I don't know what you are all talking about but I ran HL2 on my 5900U at 1024x768x32 at smooth framerates between 60-80fps! Even my friend's 5600NU can render the game smoothly and this with the older 44.xx drivers.

Even 4x AA works for with me without any graphical glitches... I can't wait until nvidia releases the 5x.xx serie later this week or next week

Back