delay good?

Subz

Reaction score
its prolly been delayed over 6 months for all we know. during these months do you think they are fixing the source code only? I think this delay might be a good thing and in these extra months they will also give extra tweaking/polishing ending up with a better game than would have been released sept.30.(or nov 14 :) )

any time longer will aid something in development, i doubt its six months, but you never know with valve

i think they will do that and more... for instance, with making video art, if i have a deadline for class, and my professor pushes the date back, i can add stuff that i originally wanted but thought i couldn't add b/c of time, i can make the vid more polished and focused... etc... so just from personal experience -and some wishful thinking haha- i think the valve guys are making the game better and possibly adding in content they originally thought they wouldn't have time for...

I dont see how everyone on the team would be required to fix up the source after the theft, so I imagine some of them are working on adding features.

Originally posted by iamaelephant
I dont see how everyone on the team would be required to fix up the source after the theft, so I imagine some of them are working on adding features.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly.. or, atleast I hope that's what the artists are doing (unless they're playing HL2 on a private VALVe-only LAN :()

btw, nice avatar fix :)

No. Delay is bad. They had been working on the game for what, 4+ years? I think any type of bug or glitch should have been worked out by then.

Right now I think they are trying to make that god-aweful Steam, not be such a sh*tty program.

I thinks it's not about bugs anymore. I bet they're in the finetune phase. I read somewhere that they're trying to optimise gameplay so that Gabe's old man is motivated enough to finish the game..

or maybe I just dreamt that. *shudders*

Originally posted by jimbones
I thinks it's not about bugs anymore. I bet they're in the finetune phase. I read somewhere that they're trying to optimise gameplay so that Gabe's old man is motivated enough to finish the game..

You took that a BIT out of context.. in fact, he never said they were fine tuning it JUST so his dad could beat the game.. lol

I do believe, however, that they were testing it on a wide variety of players to see how each react to situations and he gave his dad as an example.

u guys know that Shuzer has his very own personalized copy of HL2 right? he sent me a pm with screen shots and the works.. the guy has connections folks, hes teh bigtime!! :eek: :dork:

Originally posted by Dr. Freeman
u guys know that Shuzer has his very own personalized copy of HL2 right? he sent me a pm with screen shots and the works.. the guy has connections folks, hes teh bigtime!! :eek: :dork:

..lol, what'd I say to deserve a response like that? :(

Originally posted by Shuzer
..lol, what'd I say to deserve a response like that? :(

nothin lol :)

i figured its time pple came to ur place, begged u til u finally offered to let em play HL2 for $50 over a 3 minute span :LOL:

not a bad way to make money eh? :naughty:

Originally posted by Dr. Freeman
nothin lol :)

i figured its time pple came to ur place, begged u til u finally offered to let em play HL2 for $50 over a 3 minute span :LOL:

not a bad way to make money eh? :naughty:

Shh.. you don't want people finding out that I'm ACTUALLY Gabe Newell!

Shh.. you don't want people finding out that I'm ACTUALLY Gabe Newell!

<insert sound of an utterly shocked audience> :eek:

/me whispers Ga- Shuzer can i have HL2? PLEASE? :) :) :) :) :) :)

You took that a BIT out of context.. in fact, he never said they were fine tuning it JUST so his dad could beat the game.. lol

I do believe, however, that they were testing it on a wide variety of players to see how each react to situations and he gave his dad as an example.

yeah think so too.. But that's prolly the most important stage which changes a game from tedious to superawesome. xiii should have been finetuned a bit more as well so I don't blame valve for taking their time. It will be very well worth the wait... hl1 was very smooth and userfriendly. no annoying things whatsoever. just smooooooooooth as a whistle..

god i'm bored.. :dozey:

yeah think so too.. But that's prolly the most important stage which changes a game from tedious to superawesome. xiii should have been finetuned a bit more as well so I don't blame valve for taking their time. It will be very well worth the wait... hl1 was very smooth and userfriendly. no annoying things whatsoever. just smooooooooooth as a whistle..

god i'm bored.. :dozey:

Since when are whistles smooth? :) lol, well, I guess they are, otherwise it'd suck to stick one in your mouth, imagine if it was all splintery? Ow.

Wow, this is off topic. Anyhow, yeah, HL1 was very smooth, hopefully HL2 will do the same.

valve doesn't have a crunch time like ea and activision. those companies realese games on the date because they make ppl work like 18 hour shift to get it out then have a patch shortly after it ships and befor its released so that way they can actualy play the game

delay goooooooooooooooooooooooooood!

fire baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!

Valve isn't going to touch anything they don't have to touch. When trying to ship a massive project like this, once an area of the project is locked down, it stays locked down, even if more time becomes available due to other issues (such as rewriting some code for security reasons, etc.)

Anything that gets modified has to be regression tested (old bugs have to be rechecked) which takes time and money. This even includes things like art assets, as managing the assets is a surprisingly massive task, and is almost as prone to 'bugs' as actual code.

The only thing good about the delay is it gives more time to QA and hunt then fix existing bugs. Therefore we'll get a much more stable product, and there will be less chance of the need for a fast patch after release.

Rest Assured, Valve didn't delay Half-Life 2 for kicks!

There is a reason, it may be the source theft, it may be that they uncovered a killer bug, or something else.

Fact is, if the game was done, we'd be playing it, so the delay is good.

LOL! :LOL:
i've read that interview, too. it included very interesting stuff. lombardi, yeah, i think he was it, talked about how valve get through the play - testing phase, who testing the game, what counts in this stage of the game and so on...

and he said they even grabbed gabe's father to listen what the old man as a outsider had to say.

but not what you thought, jimbones. :D

another thing off topic.. sort of. people commenting in these threads , talk like they know valve.. what gives?,, so you brought HL 1 off of them maybe some fan mail.... .they are a successful buisness.. (<yes) and they are not your friend. (they pretend to be . so ya buy their game:bounce: ) . Sorry to be so harsh. :p

apologies to those who work for valve :)

They probably are working up the terrain textures more (hopefully to the level of Max Payne 2) and a few other graphical effects I'd imagine.

Back