Desert Eagle By IchI

IchI

Reaction score
Hello, I need some C&C here are a thew things I want u to know before u C&C, first. I have not modelled the clip yet and also the holding for the clip. Also the round cricle on the handle is suposed to be going in. I could not find the modifier u do this with ebcause in 3dsmax 6 u have to find it because I dunno how to get the toolbar u can get in 3dsmax5 up (the one with everything in, objects modifier, spacewarps etc...). When i says not game optimed yet what I mean by this is the model will onyl been shown at 1 angle. So when its animated some parts of the gun will be seens. I might even be able to get away with striping 1 whole side of the gun of because its only a pistol. I know the polgon count is a tad bit high but I was not actually making this for hl2. I was seeing how buch detail I could get without using up so many polgons. I was lucky that it stayed under 3000 because my inital intentions was to make it very high polgon.

So now lets take a look. Bear in mind this is my first weapon model. But I do have modeling experiance behind me.

DEagle_shaded.jpg

DEagle_wire.jpg

Sorry about the image size.

The jaggies hurt my eyes. RENDER WITH AA ON!!!!!

lol, now that that's out of my system. how much was the max6 upgrade?

looks good..... poly distribultion looks fine.
I'm confused but the part by the trigger where the part behind the trigger jsuts out some. Is that how it is supposed to be?

the barrel's got a weird shape. not that sweet triangular stuff we're used to

it looks like a crappy model....my dog could do better.

:D kidding

Originally posted by IchI
Also the round cricle on the handle is suposed to be going in. I could not find the modifier u do this with ebcause in 3dsmax 6 u have to find it because I dunno how to get the toolbar u can get in 3dsmax5 up (the one with everything in, objects modifier, spacewarps etc...).

Read your manual.

You have got a manual, haven't you?

Originally posted by PiMuRho
Read your manual.

You have got a manual, haven't you?

Ye, I only just got 3dsmax but will look in the manual or just look to find out the name of the spacewarp (if its even one of them) from the site I learnt how to do it from. I wanted some crits before I went to bed so I can wake up and get to it. Kinda rushed. Ty for pointing that out though.

Originally posted by mindless_moder
ok this is the only crit i can give the model

hehehe, thise seems like an excuse but I put that section on a different smooth group on purpose. On the gun it ingraves in but I thought I would be able to get the look without actually ingraving it in. Obviasly not :p I will change that asap.

Originally posted by Fonk
the barrel's got a weird shape. not that sweet triangular stuff we're used to

Do u mean I should make the barrel into a more triangular shape?

Originally posted by nw909
Where does my bullet come out, lol.

I didn't add a barrel because it will never been seen ingame, its a 1st person model and not many guns are turned around to reload :p Also all the barrel is is a whole, so it could be simply done with a small bump map, don't even have to be a bump map really :D.

By the way - to make that circle indented, select the poly and just drag it inside the handle.

Originally posted by PiMuRho
By the way - to make that circle indented, select the poly and just drag it inside the handle.

hmmm, I don't quiet get what u mean there. But I know there is a spacewarp or some modifier that takes the space the cylinder ocupys inside the handle and turns it inside out making a perfect whole and adding all the polgons to the handle mesh for u. I forgot what its actually called though. As in the name of the tool u actually use.

Originally posted by Beldor
Ichi: what you are thinking of is called boolean

ty, atm I am stuck at six form and when I get home I got o head straight to work. Won't be back home until 9pm. Will have to do it then, does anyone know how to get the toolbar in 3dsmax6 up? like the one on 3dsmax5 and it has about 10 tabs on it e.g. objects geometry spacewarps etc...?

Booleans are the deviel for low poly modeling, they screw you mesh up.... you could jsut negativly extrude it thoguh......

Ye stay away from booleans, mesh turns into a hell with split pollies everywhere, About the barrel shape.. something like this
rettofel.JPG

There is an actual tool in 3dsmax that is pefected for what u are talking about and I used to use it in 3dsmax5. I knew where the icon was but not what it was called. You can do it loads of ways but the best way is using that certain tool made for doing such things.

yes but fonk, u have to remember that u have to cut a perfect circle before u can extrude the face. Have u ever tryed making a perfect circle? its very hard. Also getting all the faces and verts prefectly aligned on the base to get a very smooth finished mesh. I profer to just us the absense of space way.

it's not v accurate and has ALOT of wasted polies

try getting some more refpics or summin

Booleans are fine if they are used correctly. If anyone expects to have it work perfectly without having to clean up and reorganize the mesh afterwards, then they don't have any business using the tool in the first place. Negatively extruding is another method, but it would be silly to use that for a cylindrical cut.

Anyway, I think the model looks very nice. The entire front is shaped incorrectly, however. Fonk's image should help you with that. There are also quite a few polygons that could be cleaned up to reduce the triangle count a little, but otherwise it's nicely modeled.

ye ty all for the comments and I will have to get some reaserch into desert eagles to find out the actual shape. But atm I have got to go work. Got no time to do the changes u have told me. I will get them done tonight so expect some more pics at about 1am or so. I got school tomorrow morning though so might not get it done. I will try my best though. Then we can gradually get the model PERFECT! ty for everyones help so far.

as someone has said, theres quite a few wasted polygons, around the trigger mainly, and the mesh isnt very nice, doesnt flow, theres lots of separate bits. but this is all if it were to be used in gaming. also the other thing is the fact that i doubt it very much ( still, i could be wrong ) that you have filled the inside of the gun. so when it fires, the slider goes back and reveals those parts that arent normally seen. also, the mag will add a few polys to that count. but it looks good, good for a first, but i guess this is also your last, back to the cars eh :p

you could create the circular face for negative extrusion by use EDGE cut to make a cross shap the center vertice being the center of your circle. then chamfer the cneter vertice twice to create the circle. the nly problem with this is you have to go back in and delete some vertice and edges but it's a lot easier than fixing a boolean mess.

how about not making the circle on the grip at all and skinning it on
it's quite useless to model it

is this model for a mod ichi ?
the model will look pretty ok after a decent unwrap and skin.

Originally posted by Firegold
how about not making the circle on the grip at all and skinning it on
it's quite useless to model it

Ye good idea actually, but it would look a bit nicer if it was 3d. Even though uneeded.

Originally posted by mindless_moder
is this model for a mod ichi ?
the model will look pretty ok after a decent unwrap and skin.

Nar its not for a mod, but if it does get up to gaming level anyone can have it really. As long as they give me credit. Thats if they want it obviasly. It needs quiet a bit of optamising and changing done first though.

I realised something last night everyone has been commenting on the desert eagle saying its unacurate, But no one has asked wuich desert eagle it actually is? its the desert eagle 357 used by the isreal militry. I think its the one used in the matrix if u don't know what it looks like. I will post an image when I get home, It does have some different atributes to your standard desert eagle though.

I have added some more to the model and changed some things u told me to change. The barrel is now triagular and there is no smooth group problem on the handle. It has been fully optamised and has eneded up at 2014 triangles. I could gain some more triangles when I find out the animation etc.. by delecting sections. But what u see on the side is not on the other. Its just got the basic shape because when animated u will only never see it. Since its a pistol that is. I have made shapes on the gun more distinct by making it 2 colours. It would look alright if it was skinned but atm its not. Thats my next job. I still have to make the mag but that will not take 2 seconds because it will not be high polgon and most of the time is covered by the hand when loading. I got rid of the cylinder on the side and decided to just use a texture (when i skin it)

DEagle_shaded_beta2.jpg

any more quick C&C i shopuld know before i skin it plz relpy quickly. I am planning on skinning it very soon (never skinned before so should be funny :p)

Please please please turn anti-aliasing on before rendering.

nice ok the reason i was asking is coz i need a model to unwrap and skin...so when ur done with it and need it uwrapped give me a buzz.

ye mindless_moder PM me in IRC and i will send u it. Just tell me what format to export it to. Anyone else wanted it as well PM me in IRC! If u use it u have to give me credit in the credits or i will sew u, simple :p

The groves on the slide shound be indents as for the thing near the safety and those groves on the mag release are pure poly wastage.

Apart from that you got a good model there.

Originally posted by Assasin
... and those groves on the mag release are pure poly wastage.

I disagree. When looking at it from the player's view, those ridges will be clearly visible. Simply texturing them on will not have the same effect from that perspective, and will not look as nice as the modeled ridges will. That is, of course, if you mean the slide lock directly above the grip on the handle. I can't see any other pieces that you could be talking about, though.

I actually just followed the image plane, I didn't make any part of the gun up at all. The gun barrel shape by be a bit wrong and also the fact that I didn't continue the hand grip around the back like it should. Apart from that trhe model is 99% acurate. The only reason I didn't get the bareel shape correct was because I never had a perpective view of it. I tryed looking for pictures of my desert eagle but they where all standard ones and not the one that the israel militry use. It was onlt my first weapon but don't forget I do have modelling experiance with cars and some character modelling. I thought its gone fairly well. Its nothing special at all but I like it. Also I agree with spin on the groves, Well theya re not groves because groves actually go in. They are seperate geometry but i get what ya mean :p Ty for all your feedback and from now the model is finished and I am moving onto something else. If you would like to post any more comments please do but alterations I can make please do not. Mainly because I have had fun modelling it. Now I am moving on. I might actually try skin it.

Back