Deus Ex: Source

S

Shingo

I'm looking to assemble a team that's interested in remaking Deus Ex for the source engine. The idea is basically in it's infancy right now and I would need everyone from coder to texture artist. If you're interested drop me a line at [email protected] or aim at tphreak987.

There's a lot you need to do to start a mod mate, And allready i don't think you are aware of what needs to be done.

If you are serious about this do two things.

Get Concepts.
Get a Design Document.

Both will help any department to understand on what they need to work on and how it should look/feel/play like.

Also start learning how to announce things such as this. You cannot just ask people to join by only giving a basic description... "We are making Deus Ex game using the source engine".

You must give a rather "Professional" look to the public to not only keep us interested but to help gain more talent.

I urge you think this through more. Another key thing to remember is... You do know that this may not be finished until another couple of years from now?

It's hard to explain but you must understand. Starting a mod is like creating a company... You must work on/with every single aspect of it in order for it to run smoothly.

I hope you understand what i'm saying...

I'm not saying it's a bad idea!
I'm not saying it's going to be crap!
I'm not saying you're stupid!

I'm just saying it takes ALOT of work and ALOT of thought just to even get it started.

Cheers,

ChrisL

I'm well aware of everything you just posted. The idea of the post was to see if anyone was interested in the first place. This being basically a port with a facelift, I don't think design docs and such are very important unless I had the origina doc.

Im not intrested in joing your mod but im quite up for donating a model which was made for a previous duex ex mod.. Its a model of the assault rifle which is just sitting about on my computer, designed and modeled by me.

Attachments

• Assault Rifle5.jpg
    Assault Rifle5.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 171
  • Assault Rifle3.jpg
    Assault Rifle3.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 148
  • Assault RifleFP.jpg
    Assault RifleFP.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 136
Make sure to get permission from IS.
Ion Storm are no longer a company since DE:IW and TDS sold like crap I assume. When a game makes it to Fileplanet's "Direct2Drive" service you know it's not selling.

I also suggest renaming the mod to Deus Ex Machina: Source, or something to avoid some legal issues.

wasn't the last deus ex mod shut down cos of legal reasons?

To play you would need to own the original Deus Ex cd. We would incorporate some kind of cd check, along with using the original voice data for the dialouge. This way I think the legal issue is minimized significantly, but I can't say for sure. I mean it's still going to be the same game, you're still going to need your cd to play, see where I'm going with this? It's like if we stayed on the original engine, but gave everything a face lift. It seems to me that the only way it would be a problem is if we were completely distributing the entire game for free. Again, In our case you're going to have to have the cd with the original data on it to play.

Shingo said:
To play you would need to own the original Deus Ex cd. We would incorporate some kind of cd check, along with using the original voice data for the dialouge. This way I think the legal issue is minimized significantly, but I can't say for sure. I mean it's still going to be the same game, you're still going to need your cd to play, see where I'm going with this? It's like if we stayed on the original engine, but gave everything a face lift. It seems to me that the only way it would be a problem is if we were completely distributing the entire game for free. Again, In our case you're going to have to have the cd with the original data on it to play.

That's not the reason mod's like this get shut down; it's due to the fact that you are creating a game from their name and product.

If the game was a pile of shite (not saying it would be) then they could be associated with it and get a bad rep. That'll be the creators concerns.

Devvo said:
wasn't the last deus ex mod shut down cos of legal reasons?
no, they just gave up because no one wants to work on a mod that WILL get shut down.

No, we had permissions. It was just the first reason. No one wanted to work on it.

you had permission to use it? written consent from Ion Storm or whoever owns the IP?

Can they really stop you using their name if your not selling it?

I dont see how they can shut you down anyway. Doubt they will turn it into a court case because someones making a mod like their game.

W4E said:
Can they really stop you using their name if your not selling it?

I dont see how they can shut you down anyway. Doubt they will turn it into a court case because someones making a mod like their game.
They can, and it's happened plenty times before... namely Starcraft: Xel'naga Vengance, Stargate SG1: Source, etc.

Back