Deus Ex

If you look at it, Invisible War had a more original plot than DX did.

Of course it did. I mean...Government conspiracies to take over the world...humanity dragged down into the pits and living in slums...Area 51...your own organization working against you...
It was done quite well, but you can't hide from it's cliches'.

IW offerred a humanity gaining it's foothold again, several opposing factions fighting for what they believe is right and you being in the middle of it all. Overall, IW has a far more original and concrete plot than Deus ex ever did, but I don't think it quite had the style of the original, or strength in characters.

TBH I found the plot of IW to be far less compelling than the original's, cliches aside. All the complexity or originality in the world is for naught if I can't be arsed to care. Deus Ex executed its plot with far more efficiency and interest than its sequel ever did. Little pieces such as the conversation with the AI Morpheus outshone the wooden characteristics of IW.

I also don't think IW's plot stacks up all that well when placed on top of the original. Chad inexplicably turns from a resolved revolutionary into an asshole conspiracist. Same with DuClare. Tracer Tong is at best a cameo. A post-crash world society is now a sea of glowing neon lights.

As for your potential affiliations... meh. I felt no real pull. Nearly everybody was a dick and so zealous in their pursuits that I just wanted to distance myself from them, sans Helios to a lesser extent. I ended up choosing to ally with JC not necessarily because I supported him, but because he was the only thing approaching sanity in comparison to all the other nuts and dicks.

The main problem with IW, was that it tried to sell it as though you could choose which group to follow and abide by throughout the game. This didn't actually come into play until the final 15 minutes. The Templars are, throughout the game, shown as your enemy and no matter how many scientists you fill with lead, you'll still be fighting them.

I just missed the skills tbh, the biomods weren't really enough. I could've lived with the rest of the game's problems if there was more involved player advancement.

Man, I love Deus Ex. I'm currently on my third playthrough. Good times playing it.

Spoilers:

I'll always remember the first time I saw a greasel in the air duct in the Versalife building. I was like WTF? Then it ran towards me and I blew it away with by assault shottie. Those are some pretty tough little buggers eh?

Did you guys ever notice how many things are similar to recent events. The Wikipedia article has a good list, though when I was just playing, I noticed this:
attachment.php
, which seems somewhat familiar...

Spoilers end here

I may see if I can pick up IW, just for the heck of it. I played the demo, it was alright I suppose.

Attachments

• deusexindiaquoteweb.jpg
    deusexindiaquoteweb.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 156
"Soon I will leave this body and death will have no meaning!"

God, I loved that line. Something wonderfully eerie and oh-so Bob Page as I began to stop his merger.

Back