Did anybody elses jaw drop when

R

RTFMy

At the beginning of the game when you had gotten out of the train.
The combine tells you to go into the room and in the middle there was a chair with blood in it.
Then you find out it was Barney.

Loved it!

Yeah. I loved that scene too. Would never have expected it.

A great start of the game IMO.

I expected it because some moron with the leak posted it once.

I expected it because I never had the leak but was semi-smart and realised thats a logical progression to the game.

It's not so much a surprise, as it was shown on one of the E3 2004 videos.

From that point on, I knew that Half-Life 2 was something very, very special.

I expected it, as in one of the magazines said he was posing as a combine soldier, so I just thought it would be logical. Great start though :smoking:

I wasn't really suprised. I was waiting for barney to show up, because he is teh awesome.

I had that spoiled for me, along with the MAJOR nova prospect spoiler:

DO NOT VIEW unless you've done nova prospect
Mossman being a traitor

Man, I can't help but feel the game was slightly spoiled for me.

Still the best game ever created though, so no worries ;)

If that made your jaw drop the ending of the game will make you crap yourself.

From that point on, I knew that sponsored link was something very, very special.

That was amazing, seriously. I never expected that. Thank GOD all the "spoilers" that I read turned out to be false, or just theories.

Boy, was I surprised when Barney showed up, I was crapping myself thinking the combine soldier was going to beat the utter crap out of me and then some (like the scene in the original half-life where you get ambushed and your arse battered by the marines.) dump his body in a dark ally where the resistance find you and take you to their base and in introduce you to your long lost crowbar. So when Barney done his whole, “ta-darrrrrr! It me barney” thing, I was so shocked , relieved (yeah I know, its just a game, and I should get a life, but still!), and full of joy from not getting a early beating, I couldn’t stop laughing! I had to restart the game due to the fact I missed most of the dialogue from laughter!

i wasn't suprised.. i have never played the leak
but when the bink was released i did speculate that that was what was going to happen
and i was right..
marc laidlow's style is sort of pretictable if you read his books.

we11er said:
I had that spoiled for me, along with the MAJOR nova prospect spoiler:

DO NOT VIEW unless you've done nova prospect
Mossman being a traitor

Man, I can't help but feel the game was slightly spoiled for me.

Still the best game ever created though, so no worries ;)

Same here. Damn stupid spoiler people.

i liked that scene too, after the "cop" told me to follow him, i thought "what the hell did i do wrong, there was no other way, was there?", with my finger already on my quickload key.

then it turned out to be barney. good stuff ;)

i can tell you my jaw dropped because damn, i killed barney for his ammo in hl1(even put a couple more in him when he was dead to make sure), WHAT THE HELL IS HE DOING ALIVE IN HL2 ... VALVE IS TRICKING ME!!! :p but all is well

My first thought when I saw the chair was:

"Uh, he's gonna make me sit down, isn't he? How do I sit down in this game? Do I use the chair?"

Then came the suprise and I was glad I didn't have to sit down. =P

Uh by the way, you didn't kill Barney. He was the same Barney you played in Blueshift.

So you couldn't have killed him :p

My jaw dropped when "Dog" was fighting with the combine tank.

That part was spoiled for me by one of those "SPOILER ATTACK" asses who created tons of accounts just to do that.

I'm glad that and the "Combine unmasked model" were the only things spoiled though, hardly anything in the long run.

It got spoiled for me by oldfag..err..faq. I'll never forgive him for that, the moron.
Oldfaq, if you are reading this, please kill yourself.

Min Rizor said:
It's not so much a surprise, as it was shown on one of the E3 2004 videos.

It was really funny in that E3 video when the guy who was playing saw the chair, then looked at the Combine guard like, "You've got to be kidding."

Heheh.

Messermeier said:
i liked that scene too, after the "cop" told me to follow him, i thought "what the hell did i do wrong, there was no other way, was there?", with my finger already on my quickload key.

then it turned out to be barney. good stuff ;)

Same thing right here... I was 100% sure I had done something wrong. But as some other guy also mentioned, I was more impressed by Dog's strength.
Remember when he tried lifting that leg on the combine fortress? At first I did as Barney, said it wouldn't work, and actually laughed at him, but mostly felt sorry for him believing he could do that to save Alyx

it would have been cooler if they really made u go sit in the chair and then some thing comes to ur head to drill into ur brain or something :)
but then just in time it stops and barney shows himself :)

RTFMy said:
At the beginning of the game when you had gotten out of the train.
The combine tells you to go into the room and in the middle there was a chair with blood in it.
Then you find out it was Barney.

Loved it!

I was surprised that it was Barney, but the moment was spoiled since I had seen the whole bit in the E3 videos. Really disappointing that Valve released the entire intro on vid. The beginning train ride should've been one of the memorable parts of the game, but for me it wasn't at all.

I was certainly shocked...but I knew it wasn't going to be some guy beating down on me, so I knew something shocking had to happen.

I wasn't spoiled about anything from the game. But yea, it made me drop my jaw.

GREATEST...GAME...EVER.

It wasn't much of a surprise although I was more expecting that part to be where you first have to use the physics to stop the soldier from killing you and then you would have to make a quick escape.

I prefer what they did however, it made the game suddenly seem all the more interesting to me.

The bit that made my jaw drop was the section where you have to manoeuvre along the underside of that bridge....jeez. It wasn't even the most narratively or graphically impressive section...but the environment just felt so huge and I felt so tiny and irrelevent. The level of realism in that section was brilliant.

The entirety of Ravenholm was also phenomenal...not jaw droppingly good, but it made me realise that this is a special game in that it can immerse the player in so many different emotional situations in ways that no other game has. Doom 3 was a simple scarefest...a sort of B-movie horror. It got pretty tiring after a while, because that's all it was. But Half Life 2 could meet Doom 3's atmosphere and include so much more besides.

i was too busy trying to find a object to defend myself i was in thoughts "can i pick up this chair and smash his head" and when barney took off that helmet i was relieved and when excitement died i was like WTF WTF WTF WTF !!!! lol

Back