Did anyone else find half life 2 lame?

To those who said it was "lame", what games do you find that are not "lame"? Are you talking about the story, the whole concept; be more specific! If you’re saying the story and the creativity was lame, then anyone can say the same about halo 2. You must support your statements with valid reasons!

In my opinion, HL2 was the best game I ever played. I’ve never seen a world so alive with so much beauty and detail in your surroundings. You can really see valve put a lot of effort into making an indelible game. The immersion was so riveting; I would play it 7 hrs a day till it was over. :(

Hectic Glenn said:
I'm still playing the SP, im on my 4th go, and i still love it. You people play too many games. First new game i've bought in about a year, and will keep me occupied till HL3.

Same here. I haven't bought any game, other than Black & White since I bought Half-Life (1). The thing that ruined the expierence the most for me was watching too many videos, and looking into too many spoilers. :x

You know.. Sometimes I'm left wondering whether some people ever played HL1.

im on my 3rd time playing and still think its fun. Wont be buying another pc game thats for sure..

dillingerx said:
i finished it about 2 weeks ago and i havent touched it since. i had to force myself to finish the rest of "follow freeman" and the rest of the game. imo i think half life 2 sucked. it was huge letdown for me.

anyone else dissapointed?
Complete opposite here. hehe
Played strait through 3 times and messed around inbetween. Forced myself to take breaks and Hl2 was great. Better than I thought it was going to be. Anyone else love it?

Anyway, I just played through looking around and ducking while fighting etc. I figured why finish it so quickly when I can make it last.

By the way, I looked at all the videos and got a lot of unoffiical info prior to playing the game as well. Didn't wreck the game for me. I guess I was looking at what experience the previews gave and not as much the specific content in them. I was going to play the game to discover the content and experence the gameplay. I didn't have preset expectations of my own.

HL2 was awesome. Had the wow factor for me.

CTTcrew_MrBlue said:
Obviously. were on a HL2 fan website :upstare:
Hey come on its better to battle on our own grounds....I mean who asked them to come anyhow?

i thougth it was decent. With fun elements. it wasnt a failure, nor was it the perfect sequel

CookieCuttah said:
Vako- You aren't god. Stop trying to be one. No one will stop counter-terrorist vs terrorist mods from being made. If they are good they will stay, if they are bad they will forgotten.

No... but if you're going to have delusions of grandeur, you might as well go for the really satisfying ones.

Dave

hfk88 said:
i thougth it was decent. With fun elements. it wasnt a failure, nor was it the perfect sequel

i agree - it had a very impressive engine and all , but i was slightly disappointed.

it diddnt do what the original half-life did for me in 1998 (that dude blew my feckking head away i tell u, when it came out) , but i guess hl2 could never do that again for me the same as first one.

i did find a general lacking of gameplay in some areas.

the thing i think hl2 misses the most is the indoor puzzles and hazzards that hl was famous for. but i mean that was the fun of the black mesa. and hl2 is different environment as u have to consider .

I found one single part lame, it was when Alyx was like "No Gooooorrrhhhdon!"

That's about it.

I dont see whats the problem with the game...new story, new experiances, new toys, new graphics...whats not to like. What ending were you expecting...you destroy the dark matter transporter thingy, and from the look of the blast the combine citidel (the threat to earth). I dont see any other possible ending occuring, no giant monsters..destroying the combine citidel is the whole point.

gman is supposed to be a question....
my guess is that he isnt human at all, hes been manipulating things from the begining to some end. First, the resenece cascade that brought the monsters, then the combine that take control of earth and happen to use the same monsters to help with their needs. The wierd part is that he lets you save earth over and over so apparently hes for earth but their is somthing that he is involved in that we might never know about.

It was one of the first games I played that I beat without using cheats once. And it will be the first game I'll play again and beat it.

There were only a few things I was disappointed in:

* Lack of hilarious death sequences (AKA the scientists in Black Mesa).
* Hydras?
* Lack of cool new monsters. Besides the gunships and striders.

I loved the game.

All of you who didn't should leave and go start a club or something, I'll donate you some cookies. PM Spartan, soldcar4gasmony, and Odysseus for your other founding members.

diluted said:
No. Although some parts were boring. The part I hated most was the tunnels area after Alyx climbs up on the roof and gets captured. Other than that the game was good.

Really? I loved that area with the combine and zombies going at it :monkee:.

Hmm, I think the game was too linear. But the environments and the characters were amazing. I guess it comes down to what the fanbase wants.

What I want is a big open city where you choose your own path. And the placement of enemies would be random. Something like Deus Ex (1) on Source or the City sections of Thief: Deadly Shadows. That means that every time you play the game, it's almost like a new game, because you never know what to expect. The enemies would never be in the same place twice.

The only part of the game I replayed was the strider battle. That was amazing, but still too linear.

Moto-x_Pat said:
For example, when you're in Eli's lab and Alyx says "That's the tunnel to Ravenholm, we don't go there anymore." It will leave you wondering, "Well, why don't you go there anymore?" And it won't explain why unless you try to find out. If you walk down that tunnel, Alyx will follow you and explain the backstory of why they don't go there anymore.

I think it's mentioned to hint that you will be going there. Kind of like a bad movie that dwells on something that seems insignificant just to find out it plays a major part of the movie.It's easy to say that is what a ravaged city looks like after the combine been ther but i think they wanted an excuse to throw a zombie filled city in there.

dillingerx said:
i finished it about 2 weeks ago and i havent touched it since. i had to force myself to finish the rest of "follow freeman" and the rest of the game. imo i think half life 2 sucked. it was huge letdown for me.

anyone else dissapointed?

taken as a single game, yes the hl2 storyline did suck. It answered very few questions and raised a lot more. *BUT* The thing you have to remember is that it's the middle part of the trilogy. It's kinda like Matrix reloaded. Came out of that and thought Hmm.. Thats an _OK_ film, not really answered any questions, and raised a hell of a lot more. We do not talk of Matrix 3. Let us hope that Valve can to better than those stupid Wachowsky's.

After playing through the game three times, I've decided that hl2 is actually an amazing addition to the hl series.

The engine itself however was FAULTLESS. Absolutely faultless. I think the £35 is well spent purely for the inevitably amazing mods that will be produced in the comming months.

paulvinten said:
taken as a single game, yes the hl2 storyline did suck. It answered very few questions and raised a lot more. *BUT* The thing you have to remember is that it's the middle part of the trilogy. It's kinda like Matrix reloaded. Came out of that and thought Hmm.. Thats an _OK_ film, not really answered any questions, and raised a hell of a lot more. We do not talk of Matrix 3. Let us hope that Valve can to better than those stupid Wachowsky's.

After playing through the game three times, I've decided that hl2 is actually an amazing addition to the hl series.

The engine itself however was FAULTLESS. Absolutely faultless. I think the £35 is well spent purely for the inevitably amazing mods that will be produced in the comming months.
Exactly!.... stupid :borg:

I just didn't find the physics all that fun to play with. Sure..you have the manipulator...but picking things up and throwing them at people gets old fast. After like 10 minutes with the manipulator I had already stopped using it for combat purposes (other than to throw grenades back in the turret defence parts of the game).

All these people on the forums saying "I still have fun with the physics." What are you doing that's so fun? I actually want to know. Are you just standing on a building throwing crap off? "I wonder if this will break when it hits the ground." Are you building something with that physgun mod (I didn't find it that entertaining...but that's me)? Tell me.

You dumb son of a bitch! How the HELL did HL2 suck!? I mean come on...I thought it was the best game ever made.

Have you people ever played Half-Life? The story in that game plays in a similar manner to Half-Life 2. You never know why you are really doing anything. You are just trying to get to the surface. The story is not spoon fed to you and the ending isn't lavish like you might expect from a game but it leaves you craving for more.

The only difference with Half-Life 2 is that you get more human interaction and that in itself is GREAT. I love the game very much. I know I will be playing the game for years to come.

Lame???

Definitely not. This is one of only a few games on which I play the single player, and it does not disappoint one bit. Spawning NPCs and playing with the physics keeps me almost as busy as playing the game and HL2DM. Great package. Just wait for the mods.

Lame? Wow, you must have one hell of a threshold for what you find 'exciting.' Go into cryostasis and come back in like 20 years. Maybe things will keep your attention a little longer then.

Also, you need to be playing this on 6x aa, 16x af, and all high. With some good ambient playing in the background. Oh hell yea.

AmishSlayer said:
All these people on the forums saying "I still have fun with the physics." What are you doing that's so fun?

Download some custom maps (e.g. Buggy Barrel Launcher is a good one) and spawn some stuff and change the physics and....pf...do I really have to explain this?????

There is stuff to do in this game with physics params and spawning shit that has clearly gone right over your head. Check it out. Learn some commands and give it a try.

AmishSlayer said:
All these people on the forums saying "I still have fun with the physics." What are you doing that's so fun? I actually want to know. Are you just standing on a building throwing crap off? "I wonder if this will break when it hits the ground." Are you building something with that physgun mod (I didn't find it that entertaining...but that's me)? Tell me.

I found the little things impresed the most. Causing a glass bottle to smash by dropping a breeze block on it was the highlight of HL2 for me :) (it made the gameworld that much more convincing and believable)

I agree about the manipulator though - that got tired very quickly.

I'm surprised, I have to force myself to replay HL2 when I originally thought I'd be playing it non stop. The game is very fun but for some reason does not have much replay value unlike games such as KOTOR and Deus Ex (1)

Both of which RPGs, both of which allow you to choose between hundreds of different starting characters (by that I mean you can adjust the stats to create nearly unlimited combinations).

Personally loved HL2 and have just started playing it through for the second time, picking up on what I missed the first time through (Gman sightings, funny bits on noticeboards etc.)

Some games I get bored of and just stop playing (eg Jedi Knight 2) , some get bored of but persevere to see what is up ahead (Far Cry) and one I played all the way through without gettng bored at all - you wanna guess which one it was? :)

:Rex Saw: said:
Lame???
Also, you need to be playing this on 6x aa, 16x af, and all high. With some good ambient playing in the background. Oh hell yea.

problem is, not everybody can do that! but the great thing is is that HL2 looks AWESOME on 0x aa 8x af, all high (medium models and textures are no good). 8x af can be achieved with minimal framerate drop, the aa is where the fps really take a hit.

the point is, source looks great on lower-end systems with little or no-end aa. i am lucky enough to be able to play on 4xaf, 16xaa all settings high and i Was blown away.

Harryz said:
Not really. Replayed through it several times already. Counter-Strike: Source and Half-Life 2 Deathmatch have kept me immensly occupied. Money well spent. Now I can't wait for the mods. Two thumbs up to Valve.

Yeah, I loved it too.

HL1 completely overhauled into source is my most anticipated mod. The mods for HL2 will make it a game worth my money.

Back