Different purchase options

S

spunkmeister

Hello all,

I read in this month's PC Zone that, as well as the Gold, Silver and Bronze versions available through Steam, there will be Standard and Collector's editions to buy in the shops.

My question is whether these will be released at the same time? I want the Collector's edition - but not if its going to come out weeks or months after the Standard edition...

Also, can anyone confirm whether the ATI vouchers for the game can be used against the Collector's edition?

Thanks,

Spunky :imu:

The ATi vouchers can only be redeemed for the Bronze or Standard version of Half-Life 2, but I believe if you get the Bronze version, you can pay an upgrade price to the Gold version which is better than the CE in my opinion.

The CE will be released at the same time as the standard.

If you have an ATI voucher, and your interested in a "collector's" edition, definitely buy the Gold package over steam. It is a much better value than the Collector's Edition that will be available in stores. It will also only cost you $40 instead of $90 if you have a voucher

Just in case you didn't know:

Gold Package ($89.95 + tax + shipping)
º Half-Life 2*
º Counter-Strike: Source
º Half-Life 1: Source*
º Day of Defeat: Source*
º Valve's back catalog currently available on Steam
º Complete Strategy Guide from Prima Games
º 3 different Half-Life 2 posters
º Half-Life Collector's box (just the box)
º Half-Life 2 hat
º Half-Life 2 postcard
º Half-Life 2 stickers
º Half-Life 2 Soundtrack CD
º Chance to win a trip to Valve! (1 trip offered for every 5000 Gold packages purchased).

Collector's Edition (Retail -- Price will likely be around $80)
º Half-Life 2
º Counter-Strike: Source
º Half-Life 1: Source
º a Half-Life 2 T-shirt
º a Prima book sampler (A sample of the strategy guide and a sample of Raising the Bar)
º Ships on a single DVD.

HL2 via Steam - offline?

Ok then, say I decide to go for the Gold Steam option, then download it and get it up and running. What happens if I move somewhere without an internet connection? Will I still be able to play HL2, HL:S, etc 'offline'?

Also, is it possible to backup all the data files so that I can 'uninstall'/'reinstall' the game whenever I need to?

Thanks.

once you activate the account on the net, you'll be able to play in offline mode without internet after that. its just the initial activation that you need the net connection for.

Great, that's good news :)

Think I'll probably go for the Silver edition since it's mainly HL2 and HL:S that I want (plus the back catalogue would be nice!) - assuming that I can use my ATI voucher and upgrade to Silver?

Also, from scouring the forums it appears that it is possible to backup the files and just paste them back to start playing again...

"just get winrar. add steam folder to archive. set chunk size on bottom left to cd size chunks, and thats it. click on SFX to make a self extracting exe that will ask for CDS when it wants them, like a regular game install if you want too"

if you have registered your voucher early enough @steam you still own the "back catalogue"(minus cs:cz).

Back