DirectX 9.0 issue

dru

Reaction score
How come when I change hl2 to directx 9 mode (mat_dxlevel 90) it sets all the settings on low, and after you change them and use them, then restart, it all goes back to low? Ive tried mat_dxlevel 0 and it set all the options to medium but no AA and reflections to only world, and it always goes back to this everytime I open hl2 as well. Anyone know how to fix this?

Hmm... that's a strange problem. never encountered that before.

How did you shut down,hold down on the power button until the computer shuts down?

Hmm... well, holding it or just pressing it wont do a difference.

Actually holding it will.
Seconds may vary to computer to computer but holding it down for 6 seconds will cause it to auto shut off.

I just press mine or hold it in just 1 sec... it automatically shut down. I think we have gone off-topic. lol.

try adding -dxlevel 90 to the launch options instead (right click the game in steam, properties, launch options). and btw if hl2 is not on dx9 by default then your video card is not a dx9 card and you shouldn't be setting it to that anyway.

ok thanks guys, i meant when restarting hl2 not restarting my computer but whatever. and diluted, yes i have a dx9 card (9600xt256mb) but ive been having a lot of dx problems in hl2 since i got it, no other games though.

hmmm didnt fix the problem, still getting it. i searched google for it and found another guy with the same problem but there was no fix for him either. i guess ill just have to get used to changing the visual options every time i start hl2, not the worst problem in the world anyway. :p

Did you ever run that HL2 Benchmarking program? That tends to make an autoexec.cfg that may cause problems.

yes i ran the benchmarking program, i always thought that was what screwed it up.. any way to fix the autoexec?

problem fixed :D thanks very much for your help 'Dumb Dude'

I have a problem when changing the DX on source, default is 9.0 and when I change it to 8.1, it shows 6.0 on the video settings. The same thing happens when I try 7.0 and 8.0. I tried making a autoexe file and the same thing happens.

can someone please help?

Back