dm_PropShop

OCybrManO

Reaction score
I mentioned in the thread titled "Halflife² Multiplayer Habitat for Humanity (pics inside)" that I was going to make a map with lots (Would you say 28 is a lot compared to 4?) of types of spawnable physics props. Well, here it is:

dm_propshop01.jpg - a view of most of the interior of the building
dm_propshop02.jpg - the front doors and the lever that controls them
dm_propshop03.jpg - press the orange button to spawn the item of your choice
dm_propshop04.jpg - the spawning device will then start flashing and making electricity noises
dm_propshop05.jpg - finally, your object will appear simultaneously with a jet of steam

NOTE: There is a large outdoor area, but it's very boring... so I didn't bother with any pictures. It's just a standard fenced-in flat area in which to play with your toys.

Attachments

• dm_propshop01.jpg
    dm_propshop01.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 610
  • dm_propshop02.jpg
    dm_propshop02.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 516
  • dm_propshop03.jpg
    dm_propshop03.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 509
  • dm_propshop04.jpg
    dm_propshop04.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 474
  • dm_propshop05.jpg
    dm_propshop05.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 529
Silly me... I forgot to put an info_player_start in that version. So, it's only compatible with HL2 multiplayer. If you want to use it in SP, perhaps in conjunction with jbmod, you'll need this SP-only version. I went ahead and took out the info_player_deathmatch spawns in the SP version to make it seem like I intended to have two separate version the whole time. The download isn't even 400KB... so, getting it twice isn't going to keep your line busy for long... even if you're a poor ol' 56K user (it works out to less than 3 minutes, total, if you're downloading as fast as your little modem can handle).

:angel:

Pretty good idea - nice use of entities :)

I like this map. Much better.

Might give my own map a try. Tell you what I come out with.

wowie... i'm gonna hafta try this map...

I was referring to in the "habitat..." thread was the map we were playing on... "building blocks"... but this map looks cooler i'll give it a go :-P

Fantastic map! Can't tell you how much fun I've been having with this one over my LAN. Really awesome. There's just one thing I wanted to ask however.

Is there a way to make the HL2DM physics better and more similar to the HL2 physics? I know this IS possible because I've used the console trick to have a HL2 LAN game and the physics were spot on and it was really smooth.

Because the problem is that when you stack a lot of things the rubber/bounce/rebound effect that seems to be on objects (in HL2DM but not HL2) makes certain "stacks" unclimbable. Whereas the HL2 physics are spot on and much more stable.

Any ideas gents?

Wow, from the screenies i have to say that looks pretty damn slick
if only the download would work :\

Twice the buildings... twice the props... twice the fun (in theory): dm_PropShop2

NOTE: This one has info_player_start and info_player_deathmatch... so, it should work in SP & MP.

Nice map!

In fact i was just trying to figure out how to set up an object spawner...can you tell me how?

1) Make a prop.
2) Name the prop.
3) Make a point_template very close to the prop (read the note).
4) Set "Template1" of the point_template to the name of the prop.
5) Name the point_template.
6) Make an env_entity_maker where you want the prop to spawn.
7) Set "Point_template to Spawn" to the name given to the point_template in step 5.
8) Name the env_entity_maker.
9) Make something trigger the env_entity maker and do the "ForceSpawn" action.
10) OPTIONAL: I usually check the "only if there's room" flag on the env_entity_maker.

I think you can see how that would become a pain in the ass while making a map to spawn several dozen different props.

NOTE: The point_entity acts as a reference point when spawning an object. Where the prop is in relation to the point_entity is where it will spawn in relation to the env_entity_maker. If you put the object above the point_entity it will spawn above the env_entity_maker... if it is under it will spawn under... etc.

OCybrManO said:
1) Make a prop.
2) Name the prop.
7) Set "Point_template to Spawn" to the name given to the point_template in step 5.
10) OPTIONAL: I usually check the "only if there's room" flag on the env_entity_maker.

I think you can see how that would become a pain in the ass while making a map to spawn several dozen different props.

NOTE: The point_entity acts as a reference point when spawning an object. Where the prop is in relation to the point_entity is where it will spawn in relation to the env_entity_maker. If you put the object above the point_entity it will spawn above the env_entity_maker... if it is under it will spawn under... etc.

My colleague and I appreciate this, thanks. Expect to see a spawner in one of my next maps.

Can someone set up a server? I REALLY want to build something with someone

I made one minor change to the second version (not enough to make it 3... just 2b):

I changed one of the propane tanks in the original building into a physics_cannister (the kind that fly around when you shoot the cap). I also added some buttons for timed firings of all of them at once (which is nice when you weld several of them onto a car and need to get in before they go off). They are 1, 10, and 25 seconds (in case you need a while to do something, like run a long way, before they fire) and they increase from left to right.

http://up1.fastuploads.com/dm_PropShop2b.zip

... and here are a couple of shots made in JBMod 0.3:

how do you make the shadows on the floor and walls...
btw, nice going , thats cool!!

wow great work.. is there a new version coming? with buggy / boat f.e.? im very sad, that there are no servers hosting that map..

keep on great mapping.

PS : try this map with the jbmod :)

1) Make a prop.
2) Name the prop.

thank you for such a good step by step :D

Today, I went back and made some changes. I added a rather large pool, I put a bunch of buildings in the 3D skybox, and I added a way to get to the roof. There are also various minor changes/fixes. The performance takes a severe cut in the pool area, so I might change the water to one of the cheap DX7 versions. The following screenshots were after testing it with a friend, so the objects aren't in their starting positions (there are also some bugbait stains and explosion decals).

Back