Do I need to buy artic silver or not?

Nex321

Reaction score
I ordered 3.2c and I was wondering do I get Artic silver with it or any other products like that? I have never bought a cpu so I don't know. If I'm not getting one I guess Ihave to order now, how does Artic silver 5 sound? got any better ideas?

Two Questions

1) Is it a retail CPU?
- If yes, see question two.
- If no, you need Artic Silver 5.

2) Are you going to overclock?
- If yes, Artic Silver5 will help you overclock better.
- If no, you do not need AS 5.

blahblahblah said:
Two Questions

1) Is it a retail CPU?

What if he has a Prescott P4 lol :p? Anyways I got some AS5 for my CPU and it lowered my idle temperature by 10 degrees. It works pretty well for me. It's worth getting if you're processor it running really hot or if you're overclocking.

blahblahblah said:
Two Questions

1) Is it a retail CPU?

1) yes it is but am I going to get AS 5 or something else with it?

2) I'm going to overclock. The processor is northwood

Allso when you put in AS 5 how long will it last you?

Nex321 said:
1) yes it is but am I going to get AS 5 or something else with it?

2) I'm going to overclock. The processor is northwood

Allso when you put in AS 5 how long will it last you?

A retail CPU comes with the processor and a heatsink/fan (hsf). On the hsf, it comes with a thermal pad. This thermal pad is more than enough if you plan on keeping your computer at stock settings. If you plan on overclocking, the thermal pad is less effective than AS 5 at transfering heat from the processor to the heatsink. If you are going to use AS5, you need to remove the thermal pad from the hsf.

AS5 will last as long as you don't remove the hsf from your processor. The tube of AS5 has enough AS5 for a good 15 applications.

If you go the AS5 route, I highly recommend you get familar with the instructions for application on their website. www.articsilver.com

blahblahblah said:
A retail CPU comes with the processor and a heatsink/fan (hsf). On the hsf, it comes with a thermal pad. This thermal pad is more than enough if you plan on keeping your computer at stock settings. If you plan on overclocking, the thermal pad is less effective than AS 5 at transfering heat from the processor to the heatsink. If you are going to use AS5, you need to remove the thermal pad from the hsf.

AS5 will last as long as you don't remove the hsf from your processor. The tube of AS5 has enough AS5 for a good 15 applications.

If you go the AS5 route, I highly recommend you get familar with the instructions for application on their website. www.articsilver.com

ok thank you, looks like I'll be buying AS5.

Last question how much do you think I can overclock max to with that cpu and some pc4000 ram? :)

Nex321 said:
ok thank you, looks like I'll be buying AS5.

Last question how much do you think I can overclock max to with that cpu and some pc4000 ram? :)

You ask any hardware person who knows anything about overclocking, you will get the exact same response.

"It depends."

I can't tell you how much you should expect for an overclock since every CPU is different. Overclocking is based on your hsf, thermal compound, case, cooling systems, ambient temperture, and luck. It is impossible to tell you how much you will be able to overclock.

blahblahblah said:
You ask any hardware person who knows anything about overclocking, you will get the exact same response.

"It depends."

I can't tell you how much you should expect for an overclock since every CPU is different. Overclocking is based on your hsf, thermal compound, case, cooling systems, ambient temperture, and luck. It is impossible to tell you how much you will be able to overclock.

Thanks for your help

*ordering AS5 now*

Great, now I have one more question.

How much do I need? There's one with 3.5g and one with 12g

thanks

Nex321 said:
Great, now I have one more question.

How much do I need? There's one with 3.5g and one with 12g

thanks

3.5 g will be more than enough. That 3.5 g will last you a long time.

Back