Reaction score
The Shell Oil Company recently issued a warning after three incidents
in which mobile phones (cell phones) ignited fumes during fueling
operations.

In the first case, the phone was placed on the car's trunk lid during
fueling; it rang and the ensuing fire destroyed the car and the gasoline
pump.

In the second, an individual suffered severe burns to their face when
fumes ignited as they answered a call while refueling their car.

And in the third, an individual suffered burns to the thigh and groin
as fumes ignited when the phone, which was in their pocket, rang while
they were fueling their car.

You should know that:
Mobile Phones can ignite fuel or fumes

Mobile phones that light up when switched on or when they ring release
enough energy to provide a spark for ignition

Mobile phones should not be used in filling stations, or when fueling
lawn mowers, boat! , Etc.

Mobile phones should not be used, or should be turned off, around other
materials that generate flammable or explosive fumes or dust, (i.e.
solvents, chemicals, gases, grain dust, etc.)

To sum it up, here are the: Four Rules for Safe Refueling

1) Turn off engine
2) Don't smoke
3) Don't use your cell phone - leave it inside the vehicle or turn it
off
4) Don't re-enter your vehicle during fueling

Bob Renkes of Petroleum Equipment Institute is working on a campaign to
try and make people aware of fires as a result of"static electricity"
at gas pumps. His company has researched 150 cases of these fires.

His results were very surprising:
1) Out of 150 cases, almost all of them were women.
2) Almost all cases involved the person getting back in their vehicle
while the nozzle was still pumping gas.
When finished, they went back to pull the nozzle out and the fire
started, as a result of static.
3) Most had on rubber-soled shoes.
4) Most men never get back in their vehicle until completely finished.
This is why they are seldom involved in these types of fires.
5) Don't ever use cell phones when pumping gas
6) It is the vapors that come out of the gas that cause the fire, when
connected with static charges.
7) There were 29 fires where the vehicle was re-entered and the nozzle
was touched during refueling from a variety of makes and models. Some
resulted in extensive damage to the vehicle, to the station, and to the
customer.
8) Seventeen fires occurred before, during or immediately after the gas
cap was removed and before fueling began.

Mr. Renkes stresses to NEVER get back into your vehicle while filling
it with gas.

If you absolutely HAVE to get in your vehicle while the gas is pumping,
make sure you get out, close the door TOUCHING THE METAL, before you
ever pull the nozzle out. This way the static from your body will be
discharged before you ever remove the nozzle.

...there are no words to describe how dumb some people are...

Cell phones and transportation certainly don't seem to mix...

Silly women... getting back in their cars... I don't think I've ever done that. :)

Letters said:
Cell phones and transportation certainly don't seem to mix...

Silly women... getting back in their cars... I don't think I've ever done that. :)

I work at a Subway/Gas Station (Eat Fresh) and almost EVERYONE gets back in their cars on a cold, windy day. One of these days the place is gonna go up in a mushroom cloud and Ill be outa work... what a shame that would be :naughty:

This one women got hurt just for getting out of her car at a gas station.

Appearently, she caused a bit of a static shock when she touched her car door which was metal and then she got set on fire or something...or blew up I forgot...

cell phones cant start fires

i just finished watchin a Myth busters episode on it. but the static shock can, if u rub on ur butt on the seat then dont touch the door or anything on ur way to the pump then u could start a fire. Just leave the pump in the gas tank if it happenes. the car will keep the fire in the tank. If u take it out it becomes a flame thrower...hmmm...

we have had several fires happen at local gas stations here...

that's only because some idiots ran into the pumps with their cars.

"OMG!!!! the Geico squirrel!!!! Must...swerve...hey a gas pump." - - - -KABOOOOOM!!!

slider3005 said:

i just finished watchin a Myth busters episode on it. but the static shock can, if u rub on ur butt on the seat then dont touch the door or anything on ur way to the pump then u could start a fire. Just leave the pump in the gas tank if it happenes. the car will keep the fire in the tank. If u take it out it becomes a flame thrower...hmmm...

Among the best shows around. One day I was telling my dad about not getting back in the car , and he said 'yeah , it causes static shock..' I was suprised to hear he watched the show too. I kinda miss the times when watching Discovery or History channel was more nerdy , and I felt unique doing it lol.

slider3005 said:

Yup, Myth Busters proved that cell phones can't start fire.

Pressure said:
Yup, Myth Busters proved that cell phones can't start fire.

yeah, cause you know everything on t.v. is true :E

</jk>

Ok, in Britain anyway, we have signs all over the place saying “Don’t use mobile phones” etc at our petrol stations.

Is it not the same in the USA or do folk just decide to ignore these huge f’ing red signs?

I've never seen any signs in US gas stations saying not to use mobile phones or not to get back in your car. I lean into my car sometimes to get my mileage book to write down how many miles and # of gallons and such..but I always end up grounding myself before touching the pump again.

I guess I'll be a bit more careful whether these claims about cell phones and such are true or not...I don't wanna be a second guy that has his nuts lit up at a gas station...

I got forwarded this by a friend. Normally I hate these hoax e-mail warnings, but this one is for real. Send this warning to everyone on your e-mail list.

If a man comes to your front door and says he is conducting a survey and asks you to show him your cock, DO NOT show him your cock. This is a scam; he only wants to see your cock.

I wish I'd got this email yesterday. I feel so stupid and cheap.

i hate these email hoax things as well, but this one seems to be real since i've seen signs at every single gas station in my area (Michigan, USA)

even if it's not all that probable, it's not a good idea to tempt fate...just turn the damn thing off till you're done pumping.

the static thing from getting in and out is much worse, imo...i see people do it all the time and it freaks me out...i'm not easily scared by crap like this, but when i see someone else at the station getting back in their car, i just watch them and get ready to run the hell away :D

That is scary because just yesterday while I was getting gas with my mom this guy who was pumping our gas was talking on his cellphone.

ray_MAN said:
That is scary because jus tyesterday while I was getting gas with my mom this guy was talking on his cellphone.

oh nos! thats nevar hapenhd befar!

Mobile phones dont ignite petrol...unless its some sort of magical flaming phone.

Tests have been done which prove they dont set off fires simply by being active, that included ringing, in use or just idle.

Well, I've got this kind of half-theory going about the radio waves of the phone hitting the petroleum's natural resonant frequency, but I'd have to compare them first.

And for the sakes of testing purposes, I'm going to have to see everybody's cock.

Well, mine's in the back yard, sleeping. He usually wakes up around dawn, and wakes us up at the same time. Bloody bantams.

u never knew that????i always have known that.....and make sure when u get out of the car touch the door before the gas pump....to make sure that you de-electrictize yourself so u dont blow yourself up.. when pumping gas

You know, I have actually seen a guy at a gas pump take out a cigerette and then see the no smokeing sign. Think for about 2 seconds and then put it away again.

I mean come on, how completely idiotic can you get lol!

It scared the hell out of me. I was only about 5 meters away. I was about to call out to stop him. :eek:

marksmanHL2 :) said:
It scared the hell out of me. I was only about 5 meters away. I was about to call out to stop him. :eek:

You know in this case I think we all agree that "OI YOU!! YES YOU!! THE TARD WITH THE FAG!.... NO!" would have been the correct procedure.

AH_Viper said:
You know in this case I think we all agree that "OI YOU!! YES YOU!! THE TARD WITH THE FAG!.... NO!" would have been the correct procedure.

Kamikaze tackle him :O

LOL :D but DO NOT kamikaze tackle him ONTO the pump :p

Anyone see that Brainiac show on Sky 1? They poured petrol ( :dozey: ok, gas) inside a caravan, and put a load of mobile phones inside too. They then rang the mobile phones.. nothing. But then they wired the caravan up, made a guy wear nylon clothes (or something) and dance around in a bucket. He touched the end of the wire, and.. kaboomie! Static electricity is fun.

So let that serve as a warning... next time you're about to go dance in a bucket in front of a petrol station, whilst wearing a raincoat, think again!

AH_Viper said:

Ah I always forget you guys call em fags, and meters. Over here it woulda been, "OMG YOU, THE FAG WITH THE SMOKE!... NO!"

RandomPING said:
Ah I always forget you guys call em fags, and meters. Over here it woulda been, "OMG YOU, THE FAG WITH THE SMOKE!... NO!"

lol...yeah...over here, the guy is a fag, not the cigarette

bollocks it has actually being scientificly proven that phones do not ignite petrol BUT WEARING NYLON CLOTHES CAN because they attract a hell of a lot of static electricity

JESUS FRICKING CHRIST.

This "cell phone ignites gas fires" myth was DISPROVED on Myth Busters. I watched it all.

THEY PUT THE FRICKING PHONE IN A BOX WITH GAS IN IT AND CALLED IT 20 TIMES. IT DID NOTHING.

Thank you. :imu:

oh
when my mater is fulling the car
I always are inside

ahhh I dont wanna die
I will take that seriusly

Ok people mobile phones do not blow up petrol stations, i myself have used a phones in a petrol station and my horribly charred body should be an example of how safe it is.

one question,whos the fat guy in your avatar Farrowlesparrow?
cuz I see much avatars like that

Back