Do this, and be amazed.

Greatgat

Reaction score
Type "this app can break" (without quotes) into a new Notepad file in Windows. Save the file to your HD. Exit the file and re-open it.

Geometrical oddities will ensue. Discuss.

It turns into kanji.
Interesting.

I guess you have to have the japanese language stuffs installed to see that though.
Infact, it translates roughly to this:
"After 獩 indignant grey harassment 湡 personal sounded Fun"

after pasting here what appeared to a load of zeros i got this 桴獩愠灰挠湡戠敲歡

It's Chinese
Simplified: 桴 □the worried thoughts ash 挠 □□knocks □
Traditional: 桴 獩 □the ash □湡戠 knocks happy

Maybe we could get the Korean guy to translate?

/ignorant hillbilly

The Brick said:
I got squares.

I did as well. I'm sure it's because I don't have the Japanese language pack installed.

Still weird though.

I had the oriental looking characters, god knows why it happens :S

Greatgat said:
I did as well. I'm sure it's because I don't have the Japanese language pack installed.

Still weird though.
Copy it and paste it here or in Word. Notepad can't handle anything but latin letters.

If its Japanese - 桴? ? Ash? ? ? 敲 歡

Korean - ? ? ? ? ? ? $$ln (ok not that!)

Chinese (traditional) - 桴 獩 □the ash □湡戠 knocks happy
Chinese (simp) - 桴 □the worried thoughts ash 挠 □□knocks □

Ash!? Lost in translation, or most likely none of the above languages.

The Monkey said:
Copy it and paste it here or in Word. Notepad can't handle anything but latin letters.

Yes indeed. It's just strange that when you save "this app can break" it converts it into something else. Shouldn't Notepad just save what you typed in instead of converting it into something else? Especially something so ironic?:p

桴獩愠灰挠湡戠敲歡

Whoa, I copied squares and got ?'s

Sulkdodds said:
Bah, I was expecting something more dramatic. :D

Just don't type in "My cat is a happy cat". Then only God can help us.

The change is made when the new file is opened, not when it's saved. Evidence: opening the same file in Notepad++ gives what it actually contains.

Reading that other thread it explains its a bug associated with inputting just 18 characters and saving it, so any 18 characters will do this. And the characters you get (if you have language packs installed) are pure gibberish with no meaning :( Great trick though.

Can anyone remember the whole 3D-rendered landscape easteregg that was built into Microsoft Excel (2000 I think) ... that was funky.

edit: It was Excel '97 ... still, one of the coolest easter eggs ever.

Heh, I got this programme called "Steam" and it's got a cool Easter Egg.

One day, with some tweaking around, I got a game called "Half-Life 2" to appear.

It was awesome.

lePobz said:
Can anyone remember the whole 3D-rendered landscape easteregg that was built into Microsoft Excel (2000 I think) ... that was funky.

edit: It was Excel '97 ... still, one of the coolest easter eggs ever.

Yep, I was wondering why Excel weights 300MB until I saw that. :p

All ya'll crack me up. Trying to figure out if it's Chinese, Japanese, "Simplified Chinese".

But did any of you try simply changing the letters? Such as:

"this app can brake", or
"this cat can split", or
"xxxx xxx xxx xxxxx", or
"abcd efg hij klmno"?

They all work, and produce different combinations of your "Chinese characters". My guess is, it's a bitshifting bug (or possibly an egg) which is simply a bitshift of the original characters.

The someone, I tried "this app can braek" to check and it works fine. Meaning no screwups. So your theory is flawed.

The Brick said:
The someone, I tried "this app can braek" to check and it works fine. Meaning no screwups. So your theory is flawed.

Wtf theory? I tried it myself, you weren't doing it right. Try "this app can break" a second time and you'll see. You have to create a NEW document entirely for this to work.

Lol it really works for me. 'this app can brake' screws up though. Anyways I'm off to bed.

Your theory is strange because "this app can brake" and "xxxx xxx xxx xxxxx" both worked, while other combinations of 4 letters, 3 letters, 3 letters, then 5 letters did not work.

I made a new document and everything.

You could still be right. I've seen Battle Royale :)angel:) and he typed on the keyboard in Japanese or whatever, and after a few symbols they would all converge into one or something. I don't really know that much about the language :p

Maybe it seems random what works and does not because some things actually turn into Japanese or Chinese characters or whatever, and some do not. :)

Back