Do this, and be amazed.

桴獩愠灰挠湡戠敲歡

^That's what I got.^ It showed up as squares in Notepad and then when I copied/pasted them here, those great symbols appeared! What a great way to spend 30 seconds or so!

Thirty seconds that you're not getting back. BwaHAHAHAHA!

lePobz said:
Can anyone remember the whole 3D-rendered landscape easteregg that was built into Microsoft Excel (2000 I think) ... that was funky.

edit: It was Excel '97 ... still, one of the coolest easter eggs ever.

Hm, i'd like to know more about this :O

DESSTROYER said:
Hm, i'd like to know more about this :O

There was a flight sim in excel 97 (hidden) and, in word/access/powerpoint 97 (I forgot which one...) there was a semi-doom looking "hall of tortured souls" egg that contained developer pictures.

bliink said:
There was a flight sim in excel 97 (hidden) and, in word/access/powerpoint 97 (I forgot which one...)

God, I remember pissing about on that in School for ages.

Erestheux said:
You could still be right. I've seen Battle Royale :)angel:) and he typed on the keyboard in Japanese or whatever, and after a few symbols they would all converge into one or something. I don't really know that much about the language :p

That's just the way Japanese typing software works. You type out the sentence phonetically and then hit the space bar and it converts it into the probable kanji for that sentence. Nothing to do with this.

It worked for me btw. SPOOKEI :O

桴獩愠灰挠湡戠敲歡

omfg I am t3h Haxxx0rz!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_app_can_break

Originated in an article on Wincustomize.com [1]

A certain "Bug" has been found in the windows notepad.exe program, after almost a decade of being regarded as the most bugless and reliable programs for windows[citation needed]. A simple string of charecters "this app will break", when input into notepad, saved, and opened back up in notepad, will become a set of chinese charecters. In fact, any set of charecters will break the notepade, as long as they follow this letter string. xxxx xxx xxx xxxxx

http://apipes.blogspot.com/2006/06/this-api-can-break.html

The above mentioned link said:
Over at WinCustomize, someone thought they'd found an Easter Egg in the Windows Notepad application. If you:

1. Open Notepad
2. Type the text "this app can break" (without quotes)
3. Save the file
4. Re-open the file in Notepad

Notepad displays seemingly-random Chinese characters, or boxes if your default Notepad font doesn't support those characters.

It's not an Easter egg (even though it seems like a funny one), and as it turns out, Notepad writes the file correctly. It's only when Notepad reads the file back in that it seems to lose its mind.

But we can't even blame Notepad: it's a limitation of Windows itself, specifically the Windows function that Notepad uses to figure out if a text file is Unicode or not.

You see, text files containing Unicode (more correctly, UTF-16-encoded Unicode) are supposed to start with a "Byte-Order Mark" (BOM), which is a two-byte flag that tells a reader how the following UTF-16 data is encoded. Given that these two bytes are exceedingly unlikely to occur at the beginning of an ASCII text file, it's commonly used to tell whether a text file is encoded in UTF-16.

But plenty of applications don't bother writing this marker at the beginning of a UTF-16-encoded file. So what's an app like Notepad to do?

Windows helpfully provides a function called IsTextUnicode()--you pass it some data, and it tells you whether it's UTF-16-encoded or not.

Sorta.

It actually runs a couple of heuristics over the first 256 bytes of the data and provides its best guess. As it turns out, these tests aren't terribly reliable for very short ASCII strings that contain an even number of lower-case letters, like "this app can break", or more appropriately, "this api can break".

The documentation for IsTextUnicode says:

These tests are not foolproof. The statistical tests assume certain amounts of variation between low and high bytes in a string, and some ASCII strings can slip through. For example, if lpBuffer points to the ASCII string 0x41, 0x0A, 0x0D, 0x1D (A\n\r^Z), the string passes the IS_TEXT_UNICODE_STATISTICS test, though failure would be preferable.

Indeed.

That is cool! Thanks for sharing that with the community.

桴獩愠灰挠湡戠敲歡

I got this, hmmm wonder what it means

Conspiracy!
ghost.gif

Is there any good Easter Eggs in Microsoft Word/Exel/PP etc 2003?

Try www.eeggs.com

Not the most brilliant design for a webpage, but it should have all the info you want.

Im chinese... here goes... im only 12 so this might not be so good...桴獩愠灰挠湡戠敲歡... dam dont reconise a lot of words...4th last means seen? not too sure.... is that Yu.... someone get bbson_john!... first word might mean school or somthing like that... with the half first means wood... second half of first word means learn... i think it means learning through papyrus...the 5th word means burn, Shao either burn or hot...

Fooked Intraweb Translator said:
Raft-section 獩 worried thoughts ash flexure 湡 戠 knocks happy
Sorry to double post cuz this is totaly different topical from the last post but i have to warn, i doubt that has anything about ash in it so here goes:
Thats totaly jap... not the least bit close...

Alas, Bliink owned this thread so thoroughly that everyone seems to be in denial. D: Though this isn't an easter egg, I think the actual explanation is even more interesting.

But even more fun than obscure programming goodness is sharing this with computer illiterate people... preferably accompanied by a mystical waving of the hand or something. :E

The Monkey said:
Maybe we could get the Korean guy to translate?

/ignorant hillbilly
桴獩愠灰挠湡戠敲歡: Burn the Manchurians and the nests something something and be happy with river mud .

WTF? MICROSOFT = RACIST!

This is not a bug. Its just bill gates telling us to help the Han chinese and burn the Manchurian chinese while being happy with river mud.

15357 said:
This is not a bug. Its just bill gates telling us to help the Han chinese and burn the Manchurian chinese while being happy with river mud.

Down with the Imperial Qing!

*Kirovman gets pitchfork and fire

bliink said:
It's not a bug! It's a feature!
haha too many times have i heard software companies say that! Hello again K!

Its hans Software Edition =) hehe notepad changing languages.... jintor, the link u gave didnt really help but i found some cool easter eggs there...

15357 said:
桴獩愠灰挠湡戠敲歡: Burn the Manchurians and the nests something something and be happy with river mud .

WTF? MICROSOFT = RACIST!
Its Chinese not Korean... Korean has some other characters... i know chinese when i see it but i might not be able to read it:p

Azner said:
Its Chinese not Korean... Korean has some other characters... i know chinese when i see it but i might not be able to read it:p

Well duh. I still know chinese charectors because I study them at school. (And many Korean words are based on Chinese charectors).

And messing around a bit with grammar has turned it into a hate message. :p

15357 said:
(And many Korean words are based on Chinese charectors).
Not all... i know a bit of korean... even Jap has some same characters like Up ... i bet we're all the same Tae Kwon do Sir :)

Wow, I got squares, too! I've got a German Windows version.

Are there any other sentences with which that oddity works?

Another trick:

Open Word and write:

=rand(1,1)

then press ENTER. The outcome varies, depending on the language version of your Word.

"The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog."
No matter what language I set word at.

Back