Do you have to be artistic to know how to model?

SenorDingDong

Reaction score
Question in topic. I really wanna learn how to model & skin but I have 0 artistic talent whatsoever.

Please do not take my advice seriously, there are people out there that can give you much better advice.

You would have to learn some anatomy to get human/animal proportions correct. There's also architecture, perspective, color theory, and many more topics.

However, one could not know much about them at all and still become a good modeler/skinner. All it takes is just some time and practice. Art schools can help speed you up and teach you things you would not normally learn. There's enough tutorials out there to help you out a lot. Just keep on practicing and you'll be able to model and map very good.

Even though this does not have anything to do with 3D, it shows how a person could, with lots of practice, can become significantly better. He (MindCandyMan) started out barely knowing anything about art but improved greatly. Please note that he drew many hours a day and had training at an art school.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=870

Yesh.

I think then its just a matter of dedication to it. I know how to map (and do allt he technical stuff), but I cant create fabuolous architecture like some people can, simply because im not creative in that way, im 80% left brain (which is logical side of brain).

In my opinion I belive 3D art uses alot of artistics in it, to be able to model something in 3D you have to have at least an insight of what you want to create, how to create it, and creating it. Sure you can do it other ways..If your extremely good at math, or you use a reference in the background and mesh-trace that.

Yes the background way is exactly what I want to learn to do. I dont want to model fake things, id only model realistic thing that actually exist. Any good tutorials on this mesh traceing?

Well heh "Mesh tracing" is what I called it, no exact name for this. What program are you using? If you have 3DS max then its easy.

If you are modeling from reference, no, you just need a good eye. For anything else, yea.

Back