• No

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • I don't know

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What do you think about steam?
Yes

My English teacher is banging on her coffin begging to get out.

azz0r said:
What do you think about steam?
Yes

My English teacher is banging on her coffin begging to get out.
Oops! sorry, my mistake :eek:

Nah not really, your title was the question :D

I voted yes, I love my Steamy.

I voted "no".

I think piracy should be fought by a voluntary online registration scheme that gives benefits like extra levels or other goodies to people who register their copy. A phone registration system should send out CDs of the extras to people who don't have net access and can't register online.

It'd work as long as the extra level benefits of registration were made clear on the main options screen to people playing the game , maybe with a short demo of the extras. Short registration for free extra levels of HL2? Hell, yeah. You've got to give people with pirated copies a reason to buy while not upsetting the people who bought the game.

Steam, meanwhile, sits on my system like the partly insane dictator of the banana republic that is my Valve games. It passes judgement on what patch I will get and when I will get it even if the patch does far more harm than good. Like it or get out of the country, it says. And that's a fairly minor complaint compared to some of the problems people have had.

I cant see how you can vote no, sure its got its blips when it gets busy at releases, but essentially its an excellent idea.

No more hunting around file sites to get a patch every 8 months, now things get fixed and added weekly.

Yes.
Those who hate it just don't know how to get it to work.

It's like people saying new maps suck because they don't know their way around them.

I'm not a pessimist. I see the good in everything, and I think Steam has alot of good in it.

It works fine for me other than it has no option for patch removal. Still don't like it, though.

Bah Humbug!!!!

Oh hell no...worthless....Steam didn't prevent any pirating at all, check the web, only caused headaches(for me and about 10 gamers I know)...and that whole big brother feel..hate it. I had an issue for three days where I couldn't figure out why HL2 wouldn't d/l after a reformat, kept stopping at 70% and would still launch the game(then freeze at the loading screen) Then I finally realized that I had to keep steam active for another 32 hours (3.0mb cable) while it downloaded the rest in the background. That in a nutshell is why I can't see why anyone in their right mind would like this kind of software, downloading a patch from the net is alot eaiser than dealing with this INVASIVE piece of software. This will absolutly be the last time I ever use Steam and could turn me away from Valve games altogether, more hassel than fun. :( That's MY opinion.... Peace The Love. ;( :farmer:

I voted no.

I'm not a big fan of extra software running on my computer, it can affect FPS rates while in game. I also am not a big fan of anyone knowing what I do and where I go. I was half tempted to put in bogus information just so that I can the game unlocked and playable without giving up my identity. What keeps Valve from selling their customer records to some spammer or mass-mailer sending us all sorts of spam or junk mail? Not much in my mind.

Give me a valid key, the game on removable media and a super fast computer (with broadband) and I'm a happy guy!!

later,

i like it, its a great idea, and it allows us to download patches as soon as they come out.

Like the stutter patch which dont exist. and the patch for the texture problem ..

just started to get the texture problem . multi-coloured arms and hand in cs-sourse

load beta drivers valve tells us and turn down your graphics settings!!!!

Stream is bad for gaming.. i dont like it.

i'd rather see a warcraft iii aproach to downloading patch. we dont need stream to be on and use 24Mb of memory

I voted "I don't know". I've tried so many things to install Steam, it's quite maddening. I'd honestly love to try Half Life 2, but since I can't install Steam from the internet, I can't order Half-Life 2. I'm sure not going to buy it in the store, without first having Steam working properly.

Yes, I don't even care about the anti-pirating measures. Its just made a hell of alot of things much more convenient for me. It also doesn't have any of the problems most people seem to have with it.

EDIT: I'm not sure what is wrong with some peoples computers or their steam accounts to make them use 40 megabytes of memory but mine right now is only using 3 megabytes. Its not exactly a burden on my computer.

i dont like it simply because XP uses enough resources as it is without having to run another program in the background as well.

Back