do you note this?

<RJMC>

The Freeman
Reaction score
I heard that the people of City17 has lost his memory
but
Eli vance still remenber freeman and black mesa
soooo
Eli vance has not become a citizen like the others one of city17 or he got back his memory?

also barney remember freeman and black mesa

I think this should be interesting to think

well you say what you want

COPIRIGHTS: this idea was made it by my younger brother, he surprise me whit his teories

One guy said they put something in the water.. if anything it would be a short term memory loss to help keep the population more passive. either that or its just an atmosphere building thing put into the clip..

Great observations, RJMC and brother! :)

I guess they kept away from what ever is in the water.. if there is something in the water..

Maybe the guy in the train station had gone a bit crazy :O

I take it the guy has lost some shortterm memory, and when he says "I can't remember how I got here" he is refering to the station. Or maybe he was drugged, and put onto a train.

I think that, if they added some sort of short term amnesiac into the water, it'd reduce the effect upon the citizens of seeing so much brutality in their day-to-day lives... Which, as said before, would probably make them somewhat more passive... As well as, perhaps, more fearful, on account of the fact that every time they see someone getting beaten up, it'd have the fresh shock of a new experience, without being dulled down by the citizens getting used to it...

I heard a theory regarding the memory loss... But I can't remember what it was...

AJ Rimmer said:
I heard a theory regarding the memory loss... But I can't remember what it was...

lol, nice input, j/k! :p

Well..
If anybody's read 1984.
In that book, the entire population lives oppressed by the government monitored by telescreens (think scanners), 'thought criminals are taken away by the Thought Police (think Combine soldiers) and there are rumors of a resistance group called the Brotherhood (think city17 Resistance).

In 1984, all the civilians can't remember anything before 'The Party' (said oppressive government) because they are constantly being pounded with propaganda, and while food/clothes/supplies are cut back, the government claims increased production, and everyone believes. Those who oppose are taken by the thought police.

Is this sounding familiar?

PunisherUSA said:
Well..
If anybody's read 1984.
In that book, the entire population lives oppressed by the government monitored by telescreens (think scanners), 'thought criminals are taken away by the Thought Police (think Combine soldiers) and there are rumors of a resistance group called the Brotherhood (think city17 Resistance).

In 1984, all the civilians can't remember anything before 'The Party' (said oppressive government) because they are constantly being pounded with propaganda, and while food/clothes/supplies are cut back, the government claims increased production, and everyone believes. Those who oppose are taken by the thought police.

Is this sounding familiar?
Yes. But we are not discussing american politics now, we're discussing Half-life 2 so stick to the subject.

Anyway, I guess it's a way just to keep things cool in City 17, but I think most inhabitants know about it so maybe most of them don't drink the water. And it is probably just a short-term effect.

AJ, I think that was sarcasm. If not, however, I'd like to make two points.

1) Punisher's post is quite relevant because there is a great deal of resemblance between 1984 and City 17.
2) 1984 was an attack against Communism. As much as one may dislike the current American government, there is a vast difference between it and a Communist one.

Scapegoat said:
I take it the guy has lost some shortterm memory, and when he says "I can't remember how I got here" he is refering to the station. Or maybe he was drugged, and put onto a train.
aye, i think they only lost their shortterm memory .would be boring if gordon couldnt remember his escape from BMRF ! he wouldnt be a hero anymore :sniper: .well you heard eli vance talking about black mesa,and the unknown woman talking about teleporting . . . . wouldnt gordon be surprised if he couldnt remember anything ? :bounce: :bonce: :rolling:

It was sarcasm. I know that there are alot of similarities between 1984 and Half-life 2's setting and I know 1984 was an attack against communism, but listen to Georgie boy's speeches with 1984 in mind, lots of similarities there to.
Let's stop going OT now, sorry I started. And I apologize if I offended anyone.

Absinthe said:
AJ, I think that was sarcasm. If not, however, I'd like to make two points.

1) Punisher's post is quite relevant because there is a great deal of resemblance between 1984 and City 17.
2) 1984 was an attack against Communism. As much as one may dislike the current American government, there is a vast difference between it and a Communist one.

Yep, in theory communist governments can be much better :thumbs:

What do you think: is whatever makes people 'forget' that is in the water also in all the vending machines (like the one in the traptown video)?

:p For sure there is definately something going on with the water, I.E. dried up ocean(WOWSER!). Now stuff in the water(WOWSERS!!).

Are we sure that's the ocean though? It could be an inland sea, or the died up bed of a large river.

:dozey: Could be inland sea, can't be a river... one of the videos show a submarine.

It's unlikely to be a river because of the submarine, but it might be.
Also: a lake, or large garden pond.

there's water in the first Docks video, im quite sure the tide is just out at that moment in time, afterall the game takes place over 3 days.

oldagerocker said:
there's water in the first Docks video, im quite sure the tide is just out at that moment in time, afterall the game takes place over 3 days.
where do you know that from ?

I think it's maybe just because they either stopped drinking the water, or they take something to neurtalize whatever it is that causes the amnesia.

In 1984 people don't remember because of all the propaganda, lies, and reality altering information (which was Winston's job). Also, it seems to be a long time ago "before the Party" because the only person Winston could ask about that was a senile old man with a mind that was a rubbish bin of half memories. The scariest part was how O'Brian explained how the Party could be forever simply because they said it was and no one would say or know any differently. Sorry for going slightly OT...

oldagerocker said:

Given all the likely locations of City 17 the tidal effects will be minimal. Afaik the Med, Black Sea and Caspian Sea experience very little change in water level due to tides, being such relatively small/enclosed bodies of water.
Imo the Docks video is probably set at a quite distant location from Coastline.

I'm wondering if we're going to take a trip in a boat or something to end up at the docks.. Maybe the hovercraft, but that's not very likely i think. I also think that the Docks will be a part of Traptown.

what does AFAIK mean?

I think its just a funny quote from a paranoid citizen to explain to the player that whatever they tell you... you are not safe.

everyone is being kept under close watch so I can understand you get frigging paranoid with the combine everywhere.. xen invasion, striders.. I would talk like him to if I where in city 17 for a couple of year :/

Brian Damage said:
"As Far As I know"

Thankyou. Mystery solved!!! Been wanting to know that for quite a while.

i also believe that the citizen was paranoid (with good reason).

Back