Does anyone know how to fix this problem?? please help

U

unsung_hero85

the game i bought retail version, it installed updated registered and auth'd all ok, then when i go to start the game it gets up to the "preparing to start half life 2" splash screen, that goes away there is some hdd and dvd activity then nothing... i would appreciate if you posted what you thought the problem was no matter how far fetched it might be... thanks heaps

system specs
intel centrino 1.5 (2.4ghz P4 equivilant)
512mb ddr ram
40 gb hdd (3gb free after install)
windows xp (tried with and without service pack 2)
ati radeon 9700 mobility 64 ddr
direct x 9.0(c)
all latest drivers
all windows updates
1500kbps adsl with no known firewall

this system runs doom 3 at 1024*768 up full with no A.A
so it should at least get into the menu of half life 2..

so please post your responses regardless of what they might be.. also this isnt just half life 2 its all the games that come on the dvd half life source and counterstrike source.....

I got the same problem. Look for any cd burning software you may have and uninstall it. After I did this the game worked about 30% of the time. The rest of the times it kept doing what you said.

When you registered it and auth'ed it... did it download any files? If not, it may be what it is doing. Right click the stram icon on your systray, select 'Monitor' and see if there is anything in there.

I'm sure I read something in the 'hl2 help' forums here with other folks of the same problem. Some found that flashing the bios with the latest version of their DVD or CD drive made it work. It sounds like it's related to an incompatibility with SafeDisc (copy protection) and some makes of drives.

Back