Does Getting a sound card improve performance?

Alan Freeman

Reaction score
Sometimes when i play cs:s and jump into a server my sound is gone Why is that . Also the same thing happens to me when i play battlefield 1942 ,i would select a server join and then the volume shuts off... the only difference with bf1942 when i try to disconnect from server my computer restarts. I just have the built in sound that came with the PC, would getting a nice sound card do anything. Thanks for the help.

P.S. ... ASUS if you are out there can you help me i know your Awsome with this kind of stuff.

it really doesnt bother me as much but having to go back and forth into the game just to make sure i have sound gets kinda boring.

try console command:
snd_restart

not forgetting to enable the console first ;)

also make sure your speaker settings are set up correctly, drivers installed and all

yes getting a sound card is better for your CPU. It uses less clock cycles, thus giving better performance. But what I need to know is what would be the difference if I upgrade to a audigy2 ZS? I now have a audigy LS and what kind of performance increase would I expect?

Alan Freeman said:
Abit ic-7 motherboard
Uses 6 channel onboard AC97. Not too bad but an audigy will sound much better imo. As for performance that all depends on what Abit have implemented into the AC97 compliant sound chip on the motherboard. Some implementations actually improve FPS whilst others decrease performance...

would putting my soundblaster live 5.1 ($30 card) increase my fps instead of using my onboard sound on my neo 2 plat.?

Foxhound888 said:
would putting my soundblaster live 5.1 ($30 card) increase my fps instead of using my onboard sound on my neo 2 plat.?
yes it probably would, any sound card is better than onboard sound IMO. :)

[Matt] said:
Uses 6 channel onboard AC97. Not too bad but an audigy will sound much better imo. As for performance that all depends on what Abit have implemented into the AC97 compliant sound chip on the motherboard. Some implementations actually improve FPS whilst others decrease performance...
Thanks ill find somthing that will work if it doesnt work out i can allways return it :) thanks agian

Back