Does IGN know something we dont know?

southparksam

Reaction score
Umm I was just reading that article on ign and guess what I found

The release date is another matter. There hasn't been an official announcement yet. That's the bottom line. What's the speculation? We're guessing November 1st based off of a review of online retail sites. As we've seen in the past, that doesn't necessarily mean anything, but seeing as how the gold master has been given to publisher Vivendi and there's a review coming out in the next PC Gamer, we have to imagine that date is pretty close to the truth.

You can find it on this page!

http://pc.ign.com/articles/495/495499p4.html

I might email Gabe!

HOLY CRAP!!!!

THAT MEANS RC PASSED AND IT IS GOLD!!!

southparksam said:
THAT MEANS RC PASSED AND IT IS GOLD!!!

Probably not, I mean there are other people in the know and I bet we would have known (if it were true) through a more official message - just like Chris_D and Icarus have previously stated. :)

I'm betting IGN is mixing up the RC with the gold master, I hope I'm wrong, time will tell.

The "Going gold" phrase got its name from the colour of CDs that delvelopers used to make. CDs that were burnt used to be always gold coloured. So in that way, the Release Canditate is a "gold" disc. But going gold has changed to mean "Going off to get pressed".

So no, it hasn't gone gold yet. They are referring to the RC.

Feath,

The gold master is the Master Copy.

A RC is an RC copy... it may still be gold, but it aint the master.

Is the article entitled "HL2: Gone Gold"? Have there been any annoucements by VALVe, or any websites to that effect? If IGN somehow got the exclusive, why would they just put it in as a subnote in an article about the HL2 packages?

What we have here is one confused gaming journalist.
End of story.

southparksam said:
Feath,

The gold master is the Master Copy.

A RC is an RC copy... it may still be gold, but it aint the master.

There isn't a difference between a "gold disc" and a "RC disc" except that the gold one has passed the testing. I'm saying why IGN used the term Gold master instead of RC. It's just an old way of saying "RC".

Trust me, if it went gold, it wouldn't be hinted at in an article like that.

EDIT: What I'm getting at is that all RCs are Gold Masters, just they may not pass the test.

CB | Para said:
Probably not, I mean there are other people in the know and I bet we would have known (if it were true) through a more official message - just like Chris_D and Icarus have previously stated. :)

Rgr!
:thumbs:

I remember pcgameplay doing an article on how they started, they always thought it was funny when they went to press confernces of games there would always be at least a few "profesional" journalists who would comment on something like "I just played quake III yesterday for the first time, boy was that amazing".

Yeah but if valve is letting us play cs:s next week then it must be gold or atleast gold worthy but VUG willn ot do admitt it because of the lawsuit, I mean hl2 was finished for months wasn't it and the only thing that needed to bee done were the bugs in source engine and if they are letting us play cs:s than that means that hl2 is master worthy

Feath said:
The "Going gold" phrase got its name from the colour of CDs that delvelopers used to make. CDs that were burnt used to be always gold coloured. So in that way, the Release Canditate is a "gold" disc. But going gold has changed to mean "Going off to get pressed".

So no, it hasn't gone gold yet. They are referring to the RC.

...not gold colored...the GM CD is made of gold. Literally. The gold material helps ensure accuracy since hundreds of thousands of duplicates must be made from it.

noah said:
...not gold colored...the GM CD is made of gold. Literally. The gold material helps ensure accuracy since hundreds of thousands of duplicates must be made from it.
Actually it's made of glass.
Also gold is a pretty soft material if i'm not mistaken. Atleast in a 24 Carat form.

noah said:

LOL oh boy...

even I don't believe that one about the mastercd actually being gold.

noah said:

if i could, id reach through my monitor and slap you for even attempting to sound intelligent. :cheers:

Quoted from http://www.gamedev.net/dict/term.asp?TermID=462

"The CD that will be sent to the CD manufacturers to be reproduced. So named because of the CDR burnable CDs are gold backed normally."

Another link: http://www.roxio.com/en/support/discs/cdrmfg.html

"Since the disc must reflect laser light, a metal layer is now added. There are four metals that are inert to polycarbonate and sufficiently reflective to be used as a reflective layer. These are gold, silver, copper, and aluminum. Aluminum is the most cost-efficient and most widely used for prerecorded pressed discs, but most CD-R discs use gold or silver because of their greater reflectivity. Since the translucent dye polymer layer reduces the amount of laser light that is reflected back from the disc, a highly reflective metal is desirable."

"On CD-R media, 50 to 100 nanometers of 24-karat gold (or pure silver) is applied by sputtering or vacuum deposition. A thin layer of acrylic plastic is then applied by spin coating and cured in ultraviolet light to protect the disc from scratching. Extra protective or printer-friendly coatings may also be spun on at this time."

I did not mean to imply the entire disc was made from gold. Just the backing where the information is stored.

And yes, there are other methods of duplication/replication so HL2's RC might not have necessarily been made this way.

noah said:
Quoted from http://www.gamedev.net/dict/term.asp?TermID=462

"The CD that will be sent to the CD manufacturers to be reproduced. So named because of the CDR burnable CDs are gold backed normally."

Another link: http://www.roxio.com/en/support/discs/cdrmfg.html

"Since the disc must reflect laser light, a metal layer is now added. There are four metals that are inert to polycarbonate and sufficiently reflective to be used as a reflective layer. These are gold, silver, copper, and aluminum. Aluminum is the most cost-efficient and most widely used for prerecorded pressed discs, but most CD-R discs use gold or silver because of their greater reflectivity. Since the translucent dye polymer layer reduces the amount of laser light that is reflected back from the disc, a highly reflective metal is desirable."

"On CD-R media, 50 to 100 nanometers of 24-karat gold (or pure silver) is applied by sputtering or vacuum deposition. A thin layer of acrylic plastic is then applied by spin coating and cured in ultraviolet light to protect the disc from scratching. Extra protective or printer-friendly coatings may also be spun on at this time."

I did not mean to imply the entire disc was made from gold. Just the backing where the information is stored.

And yes, there are other methods of duplication/replication so HL2's RC might not have necessarily been made this way.

your link form roxio is from 2000...they make cd's differently now.
the silver and gold disks (usually from KODAK or SONY) are a thing of the past, to consumers at least. Feath was trying to explain this.

Fair enough...I wasn't aware the technique had changed that much over the past few years.

I'm pretty sure we still use the gold backed discs here at work when we send out our masters.

I'm certainly not trying to attack anyone, but the post I was responding to comes across as trying to say that the term going gold, in reference to final game CDs, was derived solely from the color, not the material.

It was meant to be gold candidate, and should be fixed now as I received the following email:-

That was supposed to say candidate, not master. I think we read it over and just kinda missed it because we all translated it to mean candidate for some reason.... That’s a frustrating mistake by tired people. It has been fixed.

Dan

If an RC disc goes Gold, it automatically becomes the Master disc. That is according to logic, because Gold status means it is accepted to go to the presses. And the Master disc is the disc containing the final data that will go to the presses. THUS according to logic:

RC Disc gone Gold = Master Disc.

they still make cd's with gold layer you tards, just because you dont see em in stores anymore doesnt mean they dont exist. theyve found cheaper and more durable methods which is why your cd-r are so cheap. the linkin park cd you bought at best buy flip it over. OMFG ITS SILVER!!!!

they still make the gold ones they just arent as cost effective to produce as the aluminum ones you buy to record on everyday.

Back